July 10, 2020, 07:04:55 AM

Author Topic: Phil Nev for England?  (Read 8273 times)

May 04, 2012, 08:03:09 PM
Reply #75

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber
In the back room he is in comparison to other players who may have played for Utd, or gone into management and are older than he is therefore having much more experience than he has.

What is so hard to understand? My god. He has gone into a top job. He has never managed a club before. He has never been part of the back room staff before.

That may well be true but you don't need any of that to be part of an international setup. Likewise, a successful playing career doesn't mean much. What does mean a lot is that he's been preparing for it for years, doing his badges, and being trained by Moyes for the job, his brief experience with the FA won't do him any harm either.

In terms of coaching "international" isn't a higher level than "league", quite the opposite. It's just a part-time coaching job and they'll have plenty of other coaches there as well.
I didn't even remember I had a signature.

May 04, 2012, 08:03:56 PM
Reply #76

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
You just don't see my point do you?

He hasn't managed a team, not a requirement as he is not manager, his back room experience comes from nearly 20 years of top flight football.
He will have seen everything there is to see in the back room many many times and will certainly have been involved hugely as captain of EFC.
As has been said above, he is hugely respected by the professionals and everyone involved in the game.
I think the measure of whether he is capable of doing the job RH wants him to do is in the lack of laughing all over the TV and the papers.
I've yet to hear a dissenting voice from anyone outside the professional game.

But then again, you'd know better than all those people wouldn't you?

Perhaps you cannot read, because I did say in retrospect, it could be a positive thing.

But as I have said a million times, it is surprising given the multitude of far more experienced ex players out there already, that the job was offered to him.

So, yes I do see your point, and everyone elses.

Happy now?
Every storm runs out of rain. - Dr. Maya Angelou

May 04, 2012, 08:07:03 PM
Reply #77

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
I think the fact is Hodgson doesn't need an Assistant Manager per say.  He has enough tactical knowledge and experience to run the squad on his own, what he does need is a figure who commands the respect of all players in the game and gives an example and as others have said, to act as a go between.  Neville is perfect for that.

May 04, 2012, 08:13:47 PM
Reply #78

Twainy

Perhaps you cannot read, because I did say in retrospect, it could be a positive thing.

But as I have said a million times, it is surprising given the multitude of far more experienced ex players out there already, that the job was offered to him.

Happy now?
:hug:
Nothing personal mate
I like a good discussion and I also see what you were trying to say.
I could no more change my team than I could chop my balls off.

May 04, 2012, 08:17:52 PM
Reply #79

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
:hug:
Nothing personal mate
I like a good discussion and I also see what you were trying to say.

Sorry mate, I've a lot going on at the mo, and I'm pretty stressed out. This forum has been a bit of an escape and allowing me to let off steam a bit.

I actually feel better now :)
Every storm runs out of rain. - Dr. Maya Angelou

May 04, 2012, 09:33:20 PM
Reply #80

Haile GAZrselassie

Happy now?

Right then. Let's get down to the brass tax here then.

This multitude of far more experienced ex players that are out there that are suitable for the job that you speak of. Would you care to list them for us/me?

Let's keep it to the attributes that Hodgson is looking for in that he must be well respected in the game, has a good handle on who and what is relevant at this moment in time, has 50 or 60 international caps, has played alongside and against and personally knows a lot of the current squad, is a personable individual and is also currently studying or has achieved his UEFA A and B licences?

Can you name me a multitude of other individuals who fit that description please?
Stealth ya flaming galargh!!!

May 05, 2012, 03:49:14 AM
Reply #81

Alanvideo

Ray Lewington has got the job so Pip is now in line for another 4-year deal at Everton.
We are special ,we are Everton.

May 15, 2012, 04:38:08 PM
Reply #82

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber
Also, Jamie Redknapp must be bitterly disappointed, having failed to add "son of the England manager" to his long list of non-achievements (most of them starting with "son of...", but none ending in "...a bitch"). Having an ally within the Sky team might be a good idea for Hodgson; despite the banter between them, Gary would never say anything truly damaging about his brother.

Wow, I didn't even realise at the time how spot on I was :)
I didn't even remember I had a signature.