November 22, 2017, 01:32:59 PM

Author Topic: Swansea City v Everton 0-3  (Read 27984 times)

September 21, 2012, 12:52:51 AM
Reply #30

Big Doug

Howard

Hibbert Heitinga Distin Baines

Felliani   Osman

Miralles     Naismith    Pienaar

Anichebe

oh yes how long is naughty nicky J out for?

September 21, 2012, 02:21:09 AM
Reply #31

Stumpy

Spot on there Big Doug,that's the line-up i'd go with.It doesn't look the same without Jelavic,but that side is more than capable of winning in Swansea.

September 21, 2012, 02:40:20 AM
Reply #32

McMoyes

...greetings from Swansea City. Can I invite you to read my Swansea-centric blog match preview . Many thanks, and good luck for the season..........

http://pierre91.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/swansea-city-v-everton-pl-match-preview.html

Impressive stuff mate well in.
"Who is that shaven headed man with a lovely voice? It's Annie Lennox."

September 21, 2012, 02:52:35 AM
Reply #33

nomorechang

RIP
...greetings from Swansea City. Can I invite you to read my Swansea-centric blog match preview . Many thanks, and good luck for the season..........

http://pierre91.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/swansea-city-v-everton-pl-match-preview.html

I'm very impressed with that analysis Pierre , well done
Once Everton has touched you nothing will be the same"
Alan Ball

" Notoriously shy and laconic off the field, Dean's quotes are sparse. He is reputed to have said to an over-enthusiastic marker 'I'm going for a pee. You coming?' "

September 21, 2012, 03:32:33 AM
Reply #34

The Golden Vision

I want Seamus back in the starting line up. Looks so up for it from what ive seen  :hmph:

September 21, 2012, 04:40:43 AM
Reply #35

pierre91

...many thanks gents. Here's to a good game. respect.

September 21, 2012, 04:49:41 AM
Reply #36

Leslie Chow

The bit about Neville is spot on:

Everton travel to the Liberty Stadium for the early kick off on Saturday, with both teams looking to temporarily go joint-top of the Premier League table.

Granted, it would be very temporary, but it was just an indicator – blogging shorthand if you will – of how they have both started the season reasonably well.

The still-really-fucking-cool-even-though-he-has-the-look-of-a-female-PE-teacher’s-special-friend Michael Laudrup has confounded many of the finest minds in the game by managing to hold together a club that was expected to implode spectacularly following the loss of Brendan ‘sideways is the new forwards’ Rodgers and his Jedi apprentice, Joe Allen who, rumour has it, after every match cuts himself with a razor, like Richey Edwards, once for every time he concedes possession. That’s how much it means to him.

Anyway, Laudrup added a number of players to the squad with the proceeds from the sales of Allen and Scott Sinclair, with the pick of the bunch being the former Rayo Vallecano striker Miguel Pérez Cuesta, otherwise known as Michu. He would be dubbed ‘Pleestu’ in no time at all if he played for Everton.

The elegant forward looks the business so far, with four goals in as many games. Alongside him is Danny Graham, a player you have to admire for his attitude if little else. Bless him, he’s a poor man’s Shane Long.

They apparently have a load of problems at the back though, with a number of injuries and suspensions to more or less their first choice back four. Hopefully Everton, who twatted them home and away last season, will be able to exploit those deficiencies even without Nikica Jelavic who, reports would have you believe, is out for the next two or three weeks.

That’s a blow, but David Moyes has enough options in the attacking positions to allow the Croatian cracker to recover properly. He can replace him with Kevin Mirallas, Victor Anichebe or Steven Naismith and rejig the right-hand side of midfield accordingly if necessary.

A bigger concern is the continued absence of Darron Gibson in central midfield. The ex-Manchester United man is being built up in his absence into some sort of combination of Paul Bracewell and Howard Kendall, which really isn’t the case. He is just a really competent midfielder with decent control to whom the position comes natuNrally.

Most importantly, he is not a converted defender whose first instinct is self-preservation. Phil Neville holds his own in that position sometimes against better sides when we are under pressure and we need the third centre-half that he essentially plays as. Against anyone else, when we look to take the initiative,  he’s a waste of a shirt, turning his back whenever Tim Howard wants to roll the ball out and playing nothing balls across the defence that force the fullbacks to clear down the line.

It’s not his fault, he seems a decent enough sort after all, but his ability in central midfield simply isn’t in keeping with the players he now has around him. It’s no surprise that Moyes is considering moves for free agents such as Thomas Hitzlsperger – who seems ideal – and Owen Hargreaves. The latter is clearly a joke figure in the wake of his infamous YouTube video showing him doing every type of fitness workout imaginable apart from, crucially, playing top level football.

Whenever we get linked with write-offs like Hargreaves, or indeed Michael Owen, there is a tendency to venture that they ‘might be worth a punt on a pay-as-you-play deal’ which suggests that these multi-millionaires are willing to turn up and give their all in training every week in the hope that they might get the nod on a Saturday and actually earn a bit of coin for their troubles.

You can imagine Mrs Owen now, settling in for X Factor in their North Wales mansion when she hears the front door open and a sports bag dumped heavily in the hall. With practised trepidation she calls, “Hiya love, missed you today. Did you get a game?”

“Fucking unused sub again. UNUSED! He couldn’t even bring me on for the last five minutes, the twat.”

“Oh, never mind love. You know, if we tighten our belts a little bit this week we’ll be fine. And I’ve been thinking, I’m bored in the house sometimes and they are always looking for someone to do a few hours in the paper shop. I know it’s not ideal but every little helps…”

If you get any of these bleeders in, on any basis whatsoever, it costs proper dough, guaranteed. Apart from James McFadden getting a short-term deal at Sunderland, obviously. He’ll be getting his ale money at best.

Finally, and apropos of nothing apart from the Europa League being on the telly at the moment, the competition is widely derided by the clubs playing in it because they make very little money out of it. A rather shitty attitude but one that the supporters have generally been browbeaten into accepting. Some incentive is clearly needed then, to get the clubs involved to take it seriously and field their best players. There’s no comedy punchline coming here, by the way, this is a serious suggestion. Why don’t both the finalists get immediate access to the following season’s Champions League gravy train? The winners could go straight into the group stages while the runners-up go in at the qualifying stage.

A short crisis of confidence forced a spot of Googling then just to double-check that they don’t qualify already. They don’t, but the idea has been mooted elsewhere, including in this article, where a parallel is drawn with European basketball who have seen positive effects on their second tier competition by offering the winners qualification to the top one for the following season. If you are still reading, that is.

September 21, 2012, 06:19:16 PM
Reply #37

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Hibbert a doubt..... Will he go Coleman or more obviously Neville

Simply simply lovely

September 21, 2012, 06:27:58 PM
Reply #38

Sir Stealth

NSNO Subscriber
Good point on Neville.it worked against man u having him there and in that type of game where u are mainly focusing on stopping the other team play, but the rest of the time he should either be right back or not playing
You think Lou Bega knocked it out of the park with Mambo number 1?!No but he kept at it!

September 21, 2012, 11:58:52 PM
Reply #39

christiffa25

Is it too early in the season to be classed as a must win game?

I feel next too very important if we're seriously thinking of making a claim for top 5/6.

September 22, 2012, 01:09:59 AM
Reply #40

Zoolander

Agree
We should be dismantling teams like Swansea and Soton with the team we have and the way we have been playing (westbrom aside), even with a couple of injuries. If we don't get maximum points it won't really bode well for the season.
6 points from the next two and we are off to a flyer. 4 points wouldn't be a disaster, less than 4 and its hardly a great start.

September 22, 2012, 03:45:49 AM
Reply #41

fritzlsloveden

1-1 I reckon
grim

September 22, 2012, 04:37:36 AM
Reply #42

Shogun

Administrator
By the sounds of it, their defence is heavily depleted so here's hoping Anichebe along with Mirallas, Pienaar and Baines can take advantage of it.
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

September 22, 2012, 05:33:47 AM
Reply #43

Sir Stealth

NSNO Subscriber
                   Howard

Neville Jagielka Distin Baines

Mirallas Heitinga Osman Pienaar
                    Fellaini
                  Anichebe

Got a feeling this will be the team now with the Hibbo and Jela injury confirmation
You think Lou Bega knocked it out of the park with Mambo number 1?!No but he kept at it!

September 22, 2012, 12:48:09 PM
Reply #44

christiffa25

I think with there problems at the back, could it maybe sway moyes to keep fellaini up top?

The right team selection will win us this game. I'm not saying I know the right selection to make but hopefully moyes does..