November 24, 2017, 07:03:22 PM

Author Topic: Wigan Athletic v Everton 2-2  (Read 29449 times)

October 01, 2012, 05:44:36 AM
Read 29449 times

Shogun

Administrator

Wigan Athletic v Everton
DW Stadium (Capacity: 25,133)
Saturday 6th October
15:00 UK time

Everton's last five games:

West Brom 2-0 Everton
Everton 2-2 Newcastle United (Baines, Anichebe)
Swansea 0-3 Everton (Anichebe, Mirallas, Fellaini)
Leeds United 2-1 Everton - League Cup - (Distin)
Everton 3-1 Southampton (Osman, Jelavic x2)
Position - 2nd 13 points

Wigan Athletic's last five games:

Wigan Athletic 2-2 Stoke City (Maloney Pen, Di Santo)
Manchester United 4-0 Wigan Athletic
Wigan Athletic 1-2 Fulham (Kone)
West Ham United 1-4 Wigan Athletic - League Cup - (Boselli x2, Ramis, Gomez)
Sunderland 1-0 Wigan Athletic
Position - 16th 4 points

Preview

Wigan have suffered a poor start to the season unable to pick up where they left off last season picking up defeat to Chelsea on the opening game. Despite winning four points from the following two games and last weekend's defeat to Sunderland means that it will be over a month since they last picked up points when they face Everton on Saturday. In stark contrast, Everton will be able to pick up their 5th win in the opening 7 games with victory over Wigan after scoring 3 goals in a match for the third time this season to gain victory over Southampton.

Seeing as he played for both sides, it feels fitting to display a statistic about our very own Leighton Baines. Below is how he has compared to other left backs who are regarded as being top in the league over the past 2 seasons and the current season:

Wigan Athletic

After scraping relegation yet again last season and having a strong finish to the season under Martinez, Wigan went into the season optimistic with most fans wanting to shake off the 'little Wigan' tag which the media have often patronised them with. Over the summer this would have been enhanced as they managed to hold onto Martinez despite strong rumours linking him to Liverpool (In case you missed all that) as well as signing the pacey Arsenal forward Ryo Miyaichi on loan along with defender Ramis and Ivorian striker Kone who scored 15 goals in La Liga last season.

As the season got under-way, they faced a tough start against European champions Chelsea which ended in a 2-0 defeat despite Wigan have extended periods of possession in that game. Since then they sold Victor Moses, a player who is often regarded as Wigan's best player to their opposition on the opening weekend. Whether he'll be a success such as Baines or Valencia is yet to be seen, but he could easily go the same way as N'Zogbia and Palacios.

Wigan will now be looking to stop the current rut they're in against Everton on Saturday given their three match losing streak in the league with only 6 matches gone.

Everton

What a start to the season for the toffees, 4 wins, 1 draw and 1 defeat which would have surprised most Evertonians given the usual pessimism that surrounds the start of the season knowing we're notoriously slow starters under David Moyes. Six games in and we're being given the title as the most attractive side in the league regarding our style of football by expert pundits. However already we've shown that we're still prone to a slip up dropping out to Leeds United in the cup and an away defeat to West Brom.

After a slow start to the match falling behind to Southampton in the sixth minute on Saturday, Everton eventually began to exert their dominance as within 15 minutes, a goal from Osman and two from Jelavic appeared to put the game to bed thus 3 points secured. Some fans were disappointed with the way Everton took their foot of the gas in the second half but it still strengthened what has been a great start.

The next three games are all tricky ties for the blues with Wigan away next, precisely the type of game Everton would make a mess of. After that is a trip to west London to take on QPR who are going through a transitional period given the amount of players in and out of the club over the summer. Finally, we face our lovable neighbours in another fixture we are poor in. It will say a lot about how we've progressed in these games after picking up just two points in those fixtures last season.

Given Wigan's rise, it won't surprise you to know that this is just the 16th meeting between the sides.

Injury concerns:

http://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/epl_injury_table.php

Wigan:

Alcaraz - Groin/Pelvis injury - 6th October 2012

Everton

Naismith - Knock - 6th October 2012
Hibbert - Calf/Shin injury - 6th October 2012
Gibson - Thigh muscle strain - 21st October 2012

COYB
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 08:59:53 PM by Shogun »
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

October 01, 2012, 08:39:45 AM
Reply #1

American Evertonian

Could see us slipping up on this one. Martinez is a solid manager, IMO, and I think he will prepare his team well for this game. In the prediction league I said 2-0, but I could see this ending in a scrappy 1-1 draw.
A ship is safe in the harbor, but that's not what ships are for.

October 01, 2012, 09:07:37 AM
Reply #2

Outworlder47

Team pretty much picks itself, at least this week. Highly doubt Hibbert comes straight back in with Coleman playing well.

October 01, 2012, 01:58:18 PM
Reply #3

Toddacelli

Team pretty much picks itself, at least this week. Highly doubt Hibbert comes straight back in with Coleman playing well.

This

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

October 01, 2012, 03:37:12 PM
Reply #4

EFCdanger

Same team as the Southampton game. Hopefully we can start to put games like this away like we really should.
Danger!

October 01, 2012, 04:09:58 PM
Reply #5

Alanvideo

If we are going to challenge for the top 4 this season ,this is the type of game we must win  - and I think we will . 3-1 to the Blues. Gerrard's comments have riled me - usual top 4 teams and Tottenham and Newcastle coming through. No mention of the team currently occupying 2nd place. Twat. :tongue:
We are special ,we are Everton.

October 01, 2012, 10:52:41 PM
Reply #6

American Evertonian

Kevin Friend has been named the match official for our game against Wigan.

If you are anything like me that probably doesn't mean a whole lot to any of you.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 11:01:05 PM by American Evertonian »

October 01, 2012, 11:20:41 PM
Reply #7

Shogun

Administrator
Kevin Friend has been named the match official for our game against Wigan.

If you are anything like me that probably doesn't mean a whole lot to any of you.

All referees are pretty shite, the one yesterday for the villa match impressed though, Taylor I think he was called

October 02, 2012, 12:18:17 AM
Reply #8

Toddacelli

All referees are pretty shite, the one yesterday for the villa match impressed though, Taylor I think he was called

We should have a referee thread or a table or something.

How about we give the refs match ratings too?

sent from my hand-held cellular device machine

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

October 02, 2012, 12:23:05 AM
Reply #9

Shogun

Administrator
We should have a referee thread or a table or something.

How about we give the refs match ratings too?

sent from my hand-held cellular device machine

Go ahead, I do enough around here! lolol

October 02, 2012, 01:10:20 AM
Reply #10

plumber

Yeah, I've noticed him in our game against Swansea. Looks like a decent young referee.
Friend doesn't look decent though. And he is definitely not our friend.

October 02, 2012, 09:44:37 AM
Reply #11

American Evertonian

Yeah, I've noticed him in our game against Swansea. Looks like a decent young referee.
Friend doesn't look decent though. And he is definitely not our friend.

After reading about him on Wiki it seems he has had a few games get completely out of control....

Hopefully since Martinez and Moyes are self respecting human beings they will keep their players under control

October 02, 2012, 02:04:19 PM
Reply #12

christiffa25

In years gone by these are the games where we fall short. Usually taking a scrappy point. I am more confident this year, mainly due to the attacking players we have. As long as we don't turn in a really poor performance I can't see anything other than 3 points.

Howard
Coleman jags distin baines
           Neville osman
Mirallas    Fellaini    Pienaar
                 Jelavic

Maybe a suprise bench appearance for Gibson.

October 02, 2012, 03:13:57 PM
Reply #13

Derek

Friend has been in charge of a few of our games and royally messed it up. Luckily, we're banging in so many goals, we don't need to worry about disallowed goals now :D
Clarion Call.

On Twitter: @derekveskotsku

October 02, 2012, 07:18:05 PM
Reply #14

American Evertonian

In years gone by these are the games where we fall short. Usually taking a scrappy point. I am more confident this year, mainly due to the attacking players we have. As long as we don't turn in a really poor performance I can't see anything other than 3 points.

Howard
Coleman jags distin baines
           Neville osman
Mirallas    Fellaini    Pienaar
                 Jelavic

Maybe a suprise bench appearance for Gibson.

Would love Gibbo to get in but unfortunately i think it is a long shot. Apparently he is ruled out until Oct 21st or so. Hopefully he is back in time for the L'Pool game.