November 23, 2017, 07:18:48 PM

Author Topic: 2004-05 the 4th place finish.  (Read 3358 times)

October 12, 2012, 01:32:36 AM
Reply #15

Sir Stealth

NSNO Subscriber
The euphoria of being 16/17 at the time and seeing us finish above Liverpool, for the first time in my living memory, was just something I'll never forget.

Cahill's celebration against Newcastle (did he open the scoring that day?) to show us all that it was done and we'd got fourth was just majestic.

Nar his was the 2nd.  Weir got the 1st, a header from a free kick that Marcus Bent won .....I think
You think Lou Bega knocked it out of the park with Mambo number 1?!No but he kept at it!

deCoubertin

October 12, 2012, 01:41:08 AM
Reply #16

Sir Stealth

NSNO Subscriber
you're right

I've got that DVD, but the title is very small time - even though it's intended as a dig at those who doubted us, it still seems a bit petty

I actually laughed when Arsenal twatted us 7-0.....how many times can you say that being beaten by that margin honestly doesn't matter?  we had achieved what we wanted, and went out partying!

I remember cringing off the 'champions league were having a laugh' thing.

Just before that Arsenal game a few pundits were saying we were more on arsenal's heels than liverpool being on ours, but there really was a gulf in class between arsenal and us then!

The next season was such a disappointment.  Lee Carsely got injured on the last day of the season against bolton which I think ruled him out of pretty much the whole next season.  Some over-rate him and some under-rate him but at that time he was a key figure in our side
You think Lou Bega knocked it out of the park with Mambo number 1?!No but he kept at it!

October 12, 2012, 01:46:25 AM
Reply #17

The Golden Vision

Our starting 11 was something like

Martyn

Hibbert Weir Stubbs Pistone

Osman Carsley Gravesen Kilbane
                               Cahill
                                Bent

Mad that some of us had the expectation that we could have gone on and done something in the champions league with that team

Crazy that our right side remained this way for the following 7-8 years and has only just begun to change with mirallas etc. I'm not having a cheap os-bo bash but its quite remarkable when you consider the numbers of ins and outs in that time. They really have given everything for this club.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 01:50:39 AM by The Golden Vision »

October 12, 2012, 01:49:49 AM
Reply #18

fritzlsloveden

I remember cringing off the 'champions league were having a laugh' thing.

Just before that Arsenal game a few pundits were saying we were more on arsenal's heels than liverpool being on ours, but there really was a gulf in class between arsenal and us then!

The next season was such a disappointment.  Lee Carsely got injured on the last day of the season against bolton which I think ruled him out of pretty much the whole next season.  Some over-rate him and some under-rate him but at that time he was a key figure in our side
We got beat pre-season by Fenerbache, 5-0. I remember thinking we were in for a long season without our LEE CARSLEY
grim

October 12, 2012, 02:31:26 AM
Reply #19

GrantyBoy78

Haha I dug this out the other day, uncanny

October 12, 2012, 03:26:26 AM
Reply #20

Gash

Global Moderator
I remember being at the Newcastle game, I'm sure the programme had a passport in blue on the back, saying don't forget you're passport or words to that effect.

Then being in the Lower Bullens for the Villarreal game.

October 12, 2012, 03:28:10 AM
Reply #21

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
I remember being at the Newcastle game, I'm sure the programme had a passport in blue on the back, saying don't forget you're passport or words to that effect.

Then being in the Lower Bullens for the Villarreal game.

I was in lower bullens that day too.... Was a great atmosphere. Riquelme and senna were brilliant

Sent by carrier pigeon

Simply simply lovely

October 12, 2012, 03:31:56 AM
Reply #22

Cozzie

The actual DVD for review is fucking garbage.

It doesnt show Cahills goal at anfield, just shows Garcia scoring, and misses out the 2 goals against Bolton on the last day of the season.

A great season but a horrible DVD. Infact, Im gonna find it now and smash it to pieces.

October 12, 2012, 03:33:15 AM
Reply #23

Gash

Global Moderator
I was in lower bullens that day too.... Was a great atmosphere. Riquelme and senna were brilliant

Sent by carrier pigeon

Aye they were, I think Senna still plays for them? Probably the best atmosphere I've experienced at Goodison?

October 12, 2012, 04:13:01 AM
Reply #24

Trowel

Don't forget it was the day after Newcastle we qualified, when Arsenal beat Liverpool - watched it with some Reds, couldn't stop me beaming :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/4501105.stm
www.footballitk.com | Football news from those In The Know

Latest Everton transfer news

October 12, 2012, 04:14:22 AM
Reply #25

ally2

8 years ago and I'm still baffled

October 12, 2012, 04:41:42 AM
Reply #26

nomorechang

RIP
It was the 1st half of that season that got us that high in the league, we were winning games 1-0 and occasionally 2-1 .. I think we actually had a run of 6 wins on the trot at one stage.. Then Tommy Grav left but we got Mikel Arteta on loan. Masterstroke !
Once Everton has touched you nothing will be the same"
Alan Ball

" Notoriously shy and laconic off the field, Dean's quotes are sparse. He is reputed to have said to an over-enthusiastic marker 'I'm going for a pee. You coming?' "

October 12, 2012, 04:54:47 AM
Reply #27

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Graveson played well no sorry decent for 6 months this year and cos of this is loved by some fans. If he tried as hard and put in as much as effort as he did pulling stupid faces and kissing his badge into football he may have deserved the love he has.

Sent by carrier pigeon

Simply simply lovely

October 12, 2012, 05:39:06 AM
Reply #28

bluestevie

One of my most memorable seasons, for the simple fact that it was the last one I had a season ticket for. Was sat in the Park End and really feared the worst when Arsenal twatted us 4-1 on the opening day but what happened after that game was special. The derby and the United games still stand up as the best games I have ever been to for atmosphere, the latter being one of only two times I've ever been deafened for a few minutes after a goal (the other being after Arteta scored against Fiorentina)

Think I only missed a couple of games that season for various reasons, one was the Palace game as I was on a double shift in the bingo and the other I can't remember
'Diamonds are forever and so are the Horseman' - Arn Anderson

October 12, 2012, 06:23:15 AM
Reply #29

sharpattack

I still can't get past Collina. That was like Heysel II.
NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
The Board might forget, we don't