November 21, 2017, 04:31:31 PM

Author Topic: 2004-05 the 4th place finish.  (Read 3353 times)

October 12, 2012, 06:50:23 AM
Reply #30

123_efc

Didn't we get twatted 4-1? first game of the season home to Arsenal? Or am I thinking wrong year?
I miss Denis Stracqualursi

deCoubertin

October 12, 2012, 08:31:32 AM
Reply #31

Cozzie

Didn't we get twatted 4-1? first game of the season home to Arsenal? Or am I thinking wrong year?

It was the same season, followed by consecutive wins over Crystal palace and West brom.

What was weird about the west brom game was, when Ossie scored after about 3 minutes, for some weird reason, even though at the start of the season I was certain we where gonna go down, I felt as soon as ossie scored that we would be safe, and we where gonna have a great season, didn't expect us to get anywhere near 4th though.

October 12, 2012, 12:07:34 PM
Reply #32

Sir Stealth

NSNO Subscriber
It was the same season, followed by consecutive wins over Crystal palace and West brom.

What was weird about the west brom game was, when Ossie scored after about 3 minutes, for some weird reason, even though at the start of the season I was certain we where gonna go down, I felt as soon as ossie scored that we would be safe, and we where gonna have a great season, didn't expect us to get anywhere near 4th though.

i had very similar thoughts to this. I remember being really depressed after that arsenal game and seeing on sky sports news a story about chang warning everton to buck up their ideas!After those palace and west brom games I thought to myself were only gonna need to be better than one more team and wel be safe!and were probably better than southampton!

also my mate had been telling me Osman was boss and i phoned him after the arsenal game and said he was shit!8 years on and people on here will still be divided on which of us is right!

That season he scored some important goals though. That home winner against Pompey 4 mins into 3mins of added time summed up how lady luck was on our side

We seemed to have loads of wins on tv that season too!I remember George Graham on premiership plus absoloutely buzzing off us when we won the derby and beat norwich away
You think Lou Bega knocked it out of the park with Mambo number 1?!No but he kept at it!

October 14, 2012, 05:47:28 PM
Reply #33

Rhys

Graveson played well no sorry decent for 6 months this year and cos of this is loved by some fans. If he tried as hard and put in as much as effort as he did pulling stupid faces and kissing his badge into football he may have deserved the love he has.

Sent by carrier pigeon

Gravesen was a fantastic footballer. Huge amounts of ability, his problem wasnt effort it was he didnt always use his brain when playing. There were 2 main reasons he didnt shine like he did in those 6 months the rest of his time here in my opinion.

1; The players around him werent on his level and a lot of what he could do was wasted. You could see as soon as he went away with Denmark and players around him played to his strengths he looked a top player.

2; He didnt have the discipline to play a deeper role in England in 4-4-2. He went wandering and when he tried something that didnt come off we were left exposed.

2004/5 he shone because we played him off the front man rather than deeper like in previous years. We gave him a freedom to play how he wanted, where he wanted. He had the security of Carsley sitting deeper all the time and Cahill worked his socks off playing a box to box role and basically gave him 2 players behind him as cover. Linked in with the fact Ossie came in and understood how Tommy played and linked well. Along with Bent worked really hard and constantly made good runs in behind defences or into the channel. That 6 months showed how good a player Gravesen was, and it showed that for the previous 4 seasons we didnt use him in the right way and get the most out of his talents.

Simply for that 6 months he was outstanding. No surprise as soon as we lost him in early January that our form from the first half of the season vanished. Before he left we were keeping pace with Arsenal and United, only lost 2 or 3 games. After that we were very average and it was only the goals of Cahill in the second half of the season that allowed us to creep over the line.