November 25, 2017, 02:41:11 AM

Author Topic: Mid-table finish, me thinks  (Read 5199 times)

December 21, 2009, 12:29:26 AM
Read 5199 times

Endless, Nameless

Today was such an important game. We NEEDED a win. We played so, so well and dominated the most in-form team in the league for almost all of the game. We didn't convert enough chances, true, but we had a goal disallowed for nothing and there was a blatant handball in the 85th minute (by Carr, I think). So we currently have no form AND no luck, but we continue to play with passion and some skill again.

So what I'm saying is, we're playing too well to be relegated and I think we'll have a blinding last quarter or so to the season when we get everyone back, but we've dropped too many points. What really dissapoints me is that Liverpool are fucking up, meaning 4th spot is realistically up for grabs again. I genuinely think that our points totals from either of the last two seasons would get us 4th this year. It's just really badly timed that the first time in ages a big four team fucks up, so do we.

On the positive side, the first 15 minutes of todays game were astounding. We treated Birmingham like a sunday league team that's had individually insulted each of the players' mothers. But the linesman's terrible decision cost us and I knew once they equalised this would be another bloody home draw.
I think we're going to sit at around 12th-16th until maybe February-March then I think we'll get 8th at best, but probably 9th-11th. I am not trying to be miserable btw, I'm just saying what I expect.

Also, who else was super happy to see Vaughan back? That was an early Christmas present for me  ;D
Oh well, at least Baines is still ace.

deCoubertin

December 21, 2009, 12:31:27 AM
Reply #1

ilikebrunettes

playing too well???? I watched pompey hammer the shite, West Ham play fantastic against Chelsea!

They played better than us
Murray won't ever win a slam. Mentally not good enough

December 21, 2009, 12:35:19 AM
Reply #2

Verm

NSNO Subscriber
We played amazing for 20 mins, Birmingham scored, then we were the lesser team for 70 mins.
"..whenever i see an everton shirt i think there goes an everton fan. whenever i see a liverpool shirt i think there's someone wearing a liverpool shirt.."

December 21, 2009, 12:40:09 AM
Reply #3

Midfield General

Plus we had our fair share of luck at Chelski wouldn't you say

December 21, 2009, 12:41:01 AM
Reply #4

ilikebrunettes

we are in a relegation fight, jesus, fucking wake up some of you!!!
Murray won't ever win a slam. Mentally not good enough

December 21, 2009, 12:47:13 AM
Reply #5

Endless, Nameless

We were lucky against Chelsea, of course, but it wasn't the refs favouring us it was just fortune generated from pressure and crosses. We had a goal disallowed and a handball ignored today, that's a bit different. And how were we the lesser team today?! We had 20 shots, they had 2. They had one shot on target and it went in. They never, ever threatened to score again whilst we bombarded them. And whilst there is no excuse for all the chances we missed, there is also no excuse for Saha's disallowed goal, which would have had us crusing at 2-0 only eight minutes into the game.

And Alex McLeish said this:
"It is a good end to the run up to Christmas. We were hoping we would remain intact on this unbeaten run up to Christmas Day.

"To come to Goodison, not play that great and get a point I suppose is a fantastic bonus.

"I know Louis Saha was not offside. We have had some like that go against us but it shows you, in a split-second decision, how difficult it is for the linesman."

He doesn't seem to think his team were better for 70% of the game  :-\

December 21, 2009, 12:51:32 AM
Reply #6

Endless, Nameless

I am standing by a mid-table finish though. We're getting better, and we'll have players coming back from injury and through loans to help. Just look at how much better we have played since Pienaar came back.

December 21, 2009, 01:21:02 AM
Reply #7

Murf666

We played amazing for 20 mins, Birmingham scored, then we were the lesser team for 70 mins.

Be-absolutelyfucking-have yourself.  

We battered them for ninety minutes.  We were just terrible in front of goal in the second half.  We definately should have won.  They were made up with the draw.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 01:40:25 AM by Murf666 »
There's nobody better than Murf667, she's the best little Evertonian I know!
As for you, Murf 668, your Everton shirt can hardly wait.

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards.  Checkmate!

December 21, 2009, 02:30:47 AM
Reply #8

Verm

NSNO Subscriber
We were lucky against Chelsea, of course, but it wasn't the refs favouring us it was just fortune generated from pressure and crosses. We had a goal disallowed and a handball ignored today, that's a bit different. And how were we the lesser team today?! We had 20 shots, they had 2. They had one shot on target and it went in. They never, ever threatened to score again whilst we bombarded them. And whilst there is no excuse for all the chances we missed, there is also no excuse for Saha's disallowed goal, which would have had us crusing at 2-0 only eight minutes into the game.

And Alex McLeish said this:
"It is a good end to the run up to Christmas. We were hoping we would remain intact on this unbeaten run up to Christmas Day.

"To come to Goodison, not play that great and get a point I suppose is a fantastic bonus.

"I know Louis Saha was not offside. We have had some like that go against us but it shows you, in a split-second decision, how difficult it is for the linesman."

He doesn't seem to think his team were better for 70% of the game  :-\

So they had a much better shots to goals ratio.  ;)
"..whenever i see an everton shirt i think there goes an everton fan. whenever i see a liverpool shirt i think there's someone wearing a liverpool shirt.."

December 21, 2009, 02:47:28 AM
Reply #9

ally2

I also think we'll finish mid-table.  I really don't think we're in any real danger of relegation since our performances against Liverpool, Chelsea and today.

This just makes it all the more uninteresting though -

we probably won't go down,
we probably will improve,
we'll probably get aArteta and Jags back when its too late
and we'll proably finish mid-table.

The boredom of being an 'also ran'.  Maybe that's why Moyes has decided to start playing football.

December 21, 2009, 02:47:40 AM
Reply #10

Murf666

So they had a much better shots to goals ratio.  ;)

Exaclty!  Which proves we had the most of the game and should have won!

BTW, did you go see the Rev in Manchester on the 14th?  Circumstances forbade me.  How did it go?

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards.  Checkmate!

December 21, 2009, 02:48:35 AM
Reply #11

Verm

NSNO Subscriber
Exaclty!  Which proves we had the most of the game and should have won!

BTW, did you go see the Rev in Manchester on the 14th?  Circumstances forbade me.  How did it go?

the Rev?

December 21, 2009, 02:50:52 AM
Reply #12

Murf666

the Rev?

Marilyn Manson.

I see you have only just changed your sig.

December 21, 2009, 02:52:39 AM
Reply #13

Verm

NSNO Subscriber
Marilyn Manson.

I see you have only just changed your sig.

Ah, haven't heard that one before.

Yeah it was great, much better than the last time I saw him. Great setlist, crowd interaction and he just generally looked like he was into it for a change.

December 21, 2009, 02:56:21 AM
Reply #14

Murf666

Ah, haven't heard that one before.

Yeah it was great, much better than the last time I saw him. Great setlist, crowd interaction and he just generally looked like he was into it for a change.

Cool.  Last time I saw him was the last time he was in Manchester.  Some bellend threw a bottle at the bass player.  Tommy Gravesen was stood about twenty yards in front of me.

"The Rev" comes from him being ordained as a Reverend in the church of Satan by the late Anton La Vey.