November 22, 2017, 09:04:07 PM

Author Topic: Mid-table finish, me thinks  (Read 5189 times)

December 21, 2009, 03:01:04 AM
Reply #15

montanatoffeefan

Think we doomed ourselves to mid-table over the summer. Yeah, the Shite are shite. But Aston Villa have been building well for years. Man City are starting to get it right, along with Spurs. And others are playing well.

Moyes spoiled us for years by getting the lads to punch above their weight. But years of Kenwrights bungling and dithering and lying have taken their toll. We'll likely be a mid-table team until Kenwright sells. Worse if Moyes leaves and BK stays.
Everton forever.

deCoubertin

December 21, 2009, 03:12:02 AM
Reply #16

Verm

NSNO Subscriber
Think we doomed ourselves to mid-table over the summer. Yeah, the Shite are shite. But Aston Villa have been building well for years. Man City are starting to get it right, along with Spurs. And others are playing well.

Moyes spoiled us for years by getting the lads to punch above their weight. But years of Kenwrights bungling and dithering and lying have taken their toll. We'll likely be a mid-table team until Kenwright sells. Worse if Moyes leaves and BK stays.

Agree with this completely.
"..whenever i see an everton shirt i think there goes an everton fan. whenever i see a liverpool shirt i think there's someone wearing a liverpool shirt.."

December 21, 2009, 03:40:51 AM
Reply #17

toffee_scot

I think last season we were very lucky because Spurs, Man City and Villa didn't recognise their potential and we hardly did much in the transfer market, yet still managed to finish 5th!

This season I think the Lescott saga affected morale at the club and the injury crisis just became so ludicrous that it is no wonder we've struggled for most of this season. Last season we had a Lescott-Jagielka backline which was mostly pretty solid (took them a while to get going at the start though) and this season that has disappeared.

I'd have to agree, mid-table finish is probably the most likely outcome of this season although there is still an outside chance we could finish in the top 8 but we'd have to hope we have a 2 month spell of very good form in order to do that (which we managed to do last season at the beginning of the year). Hate to be bleak but we cannot rule out relegation, our first priority has always been to climb up the table and get the '40 points' as quickly as possible, now that is going to take much longer.

December 21, 2009, 04:43:00 PM
Reply #18

blueblood1988

Throughout oct, nov and most of this month i was confident we could turn it around and finish in top 6,7 etc. Over now just want to get away from that drop zone and look forward to next year. Did a thread on here 6 weeks ago. has us down to beat Hull, Spurs and Birmingham even accounting for losses against chelsea, pool etc. that is 7 more points. quite reasonable and we'd be 10th within touching distance of europe come new year. 7 points people!! season is over and unless we start picking up points the europa league is a mear inconveinience. Would love us to get a few players back and get a few points that will get us comfortable so we can through everything into these cup games. sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh depressing stuff. worried about jags and arteta no word about training etc, its a very complicated injury and i fear the worst for the pair of them. oh well 6 points against sunderland and burnley then im sure we'll all be happy and start muttering top 6 again just dont see it happening. 4 points would be great, 0,1 or 2 then we are in the shit big time.

December 21, 2009, 04:45:16 PM
Reply #19

Hannibal Lecter

Amen :(
Jönköpings Södra IF

December 21, 2009, 07:39:09 PM
Reply #20

Endless, Nameless

By this time (17 games) last season we had 25 points, the season before we had 30. We have 18 now.
I'm sure this isn't news to any of you, but that really hammers home how bad we're doing, when you consider we made a poor start to last year but had 7 points more than we do now.
And when you consider how tight things are between 1st-8th place it essentially rules out any chance of a decent finish. Or does it really?
I'm probably in denial, but I'm really struggling to accept that we're not going to be able to reclaim 5th. Is it still possible? What if Villa do what they did last season and screw up? What if this tax thing goes awry with harry and that affects spurs? What if Mancini is shit? What if Rafa stays manager and keeps fucking up? If all of these went our way, and we can start to pick up points, then we could get 5th or even 4th still.
So, what I'm saying is, I don't think I can truly accept that we're going to finish mid-table until it is mathematically impossible to do any better. It's unusally optimistic of me, but I guess I've just become so accustomed to us being a formidable force in the league that I really don't want to go back to the pre-Moyes Everton.

Go on, you can all insult me now ;)
Oh well, at least Baines is still ace.

December 21, 2009, 08:19:27 PM
Reply #21

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
This is going to go down as another first for the club under Moyes.

Everyone keeps harping on about what he has done for us, yes he has done a good job in those seasons, but he has also done shit in others, like getting us our lowest ever goals tally in a season ever, and the lowest points total ever. This season is another of them.
"All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."
- Walt Disney

December 21, 2009, 08:25:35 PM
Reply #22

ilikebrunettes

Moyes average league finish is 9th over his term...... Moyes defenders always over look his shite seasons, dont you?
Murray won't ever win a slam. Mentally not good enough

December 21, 2009, 08:41:55 PM
Reply #23

bluestevie

i dont, i know we were shite in his second season and again in 05/06 not to mention the first half of both last and this season but i still think we will be there or thereabouts come the end purely cos of how unpredictable the results have been in the league this season
'Diamonds are forever and so are the Horseman' - Arn Anderson

December 22, 2009, 03:38:50 AM
Reply #24

fubarruk

I am standing by a mid-table finish though. We're getting better, and we'll have players coming back from injury and through loans to help. Just look at how much better we have played since Pienaar came back.

And ultimately how many points has that gained us??

Mid-table finish is the absolute best we can hope for, relegation fight is the more realistic scenario. Teams in the bottom third of table at Xmas inevitably end up there come end of season also, history proves the fact.

People can sight exceptions of course (spurs last year) but I stated weeks ago that people were deluded expecting a dramatic change in fortunes and results, I stand by that..

December 22, 2009, 06:22:26 AM
Reply #25

Endless, Nameless

And ultimately how many points has that gained us??

Mid-table finish is the absolute best we can hope for, relegation fight is the more realistic scenario. Teams in the bottom third of table at Xmas inevitably end up there come end of season also, history proves the fact.

People can sight exceptions of course (spurs last year) but I stated weeks ago that people were deluded expecting a dramatic change in fortunes and results, I stand by that..

Well it's hard to say, as without him we might not have drawn against Chelsea, Spurs or Birmingham. You don't know. I know deep down that mid-table is the best we can hope for, but like I said, until it's mathematically impossible to do better I will hope. Stranger things have happened. Abel Xavier, for instance :)

December 22, 2009, 06:41:28 AM
Reply #26

fubarruk

Well it's hard to say, as without him we might not have drawn against Chelsea, Spurs or Birmingham. You don't know. I know deep down that mid-table is the best we can hope for, but like I said, until it's mathematically impossible to do better I will hope. Stranger things have happened. Abel Xavier, for instance :)

Even with him thats still only 3 points from 9, two home games we should have been looking to win. Sorry, I applaud your optimisim, but theres already a 10-15 point gap to the top end of league, to expect the likes of Villa,City,Spurs and the Shite to go into meltdown,and us to bridge a gap of 5 wins when we've only won 4 in 17 is beyond optimistic...

December 22, 2009, 07:07:48 AM
Reply #27

Endless, Nameless

Even with him thats still only 3 points from 9, two home games we should have been looking to win. Sorry, I applaud your optimisim, but theres already a 10-15 point gap to the top end of league, to expect the likes of Villa,City,Spurs and the Shite to go into meltdown,and us to bridge a gap of 5 wins when we've only won 4 in 17 is beyond optimistic...

I'm not expecting it! I am 99% sure it won't happen, I'm just trying to be optimistic (aka denial). And you say only 3 points, but if we hadn't got those 3 points we'd be in an even worse position. A point against Chelsea is especially useful, and even more so if we end up in a relegation battle ;)

December 22, 2009, 07:51:30 AM
Reply #28

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Would have rather lost to Chelsea and beaten Birmingham.
"All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."
- Walt Disney

December 23, 2009, 02:04:16 PM
Reply #29

huck

Would have rather lost to Chelsea and beaten Birmingham.

Same here. Three is better than two.
Le Berry