November 23, 2017, 10:46:09 PM

Author Topic: Cahill  (Read 3079 times)

December 21, 2009, 07:26:42 PM
Read 3079 times

DannyR

I think now he is 30 he has played the best of his football. he hasn't been as influential in the games this season.
I like my coffee how I like my women, with 2 e's in them.

deCoubertin

December 21, 2009, 07:33:56 PM
Reply #1

Endless, Nameless

Maybe, but Cahill's talents are mainly mental ones. He knows how to find ways through defences and when to jump, how to head the ball. These are things that don't go with age. He is just in a bad run of form, I think. Once we get Mikel back I think you may be eating your words. I hope so, anyway.
Oh well, at least Baines is still ace.

December 21, 2009, 07:36:58 PM
Reply #2

DannyR

Maybe, but Cahill's talents are mainly mental ones. He knows how to find ways through defences and when to jump, how to head the ball. These are things that don't go with age. He is just in a bad run of form, I think. Once we get Mikel back I think you may be eating your words. I hope so, anyway.
I hope so too. He looks a bit lost of recent.
I like my coffee how I like my women, with 2 e's in them.

December 21, 2009, 08:09:52 PM
Reply #3

toffee_scot

I remember a statistic had been published showing how we got more points when Cahill was in the team than when he wasn't there. I think this season has shown he isn't the talisman people have made him out to be.

As for Mikel Arteta, it is quite worrying how it seems Evertonians are relying on him coming back from injury before individual players find their best form again. We should be learning to be able to still get points without having to rely on 1 or 2 key players, we seemed to manage without Arteta last season in the last few months (Yakubu was hardly missed). For some reason this season the players just can't seem to win many games at all.

December 21, 2009, 08:58:53 PM
Reply #4

Dublin Toffee

I think we should keep him. For me, he's becoming a different sort of player. His work ethic and drive are second to none. The amount of defensive headers he wins are of crucial importance.
Nothing you can say could tear me away from Magaye

December 21, 2009, 09:01:02 PM
Reply #5

MmmBlueRamirez

I think now he is 30 he has played the best of his football. he hasn't been as influential in the games this season.

Agreed

The best thing hes don for aLONG time was that through ball for the Saha goal that was 'offside'.

Aside from that he wan't involved in much of our Ole football in the first 20 mins yesterday. Skillful football passes him by.

Unfortunately due to the size of the squad he is undroppable.
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

December 21, 2009, 09:20:58 PM
Reply #6

slothzen

When is his contract up?  I love the guy, but if he's going to be around for the next few years maybe he could fade into a staffing role?  I'd love to see him stick around at Everton, irregardless of his role.  Doubtful, I know, he will probably end up back in Australia.

December 21, 2009, 10:35:02 PM
Reply #7

marky v

Think he has another two or three seasons left on his contract, maybe all the aways with australia and summers of football plus his foot injuries have taken its toll and he needs a good break, besides that though i wouldn't want to lose any players as we cant cope with injuries regardless of who comes in to replace him

December 21, 2009, 10:42:34 PM
Reply #8

Verm

NSNO Subscriber
I think Fellaini is already a better footballer than Cahill.
"..whenever i see an everton shirt i think there goes an everton fan. whenever i see a liverpool shirt i think there's someone wearing a liverpool shirt.."

December 21, 2009, 11:14:26 PM
Reply #9

cantoffee

He still has a role to play at the club and will for the next 2 years. I think he'll break out of his slump soon and bang a couple home in the next few weeks, then again I thought that a couple weeks ago so who knows. If we had a full squad he'd have been dropped by now and maybe have even found some form as opposed to having to work through it.

December 22, 2009, 12:42:56 AM
Reply #10

Ridge

I think Timmy has come under criticism unfairly in a lot of ways. Its happened with the Yak, people realising his inadequacies when his scoring isn't up to form and Cahill not being the catalyst when we lack a distributor or creative force.

Cahill reads the game well, but his style is a breaking midfielder supporting the front man. When he gets the ball he looks horizontal for a simple pass and gets in the box. This is why he has scored more premiership headers than any other player. His style has never been to run the game or control the flow of the team, we have many players better at it. Recently we haven't had creative players and Cahill has been used in almost every role a midfielder can play.

You can't just heap extra pressure on players and expect them to excel where they haven't been used before. I think a lot of the criticism is derived from Fellaini performing the central distribution role admirably in recent weeks, while previously been the subject of vilification.

Cahill often scores against big teams and when we counter attack, but like the Yak relies on service.

December 22, 2009, 12:48:02 AM
Reply #11

huck

Good point Ridge! been upset with him myself but see what you are saying there and agree.
Le Berry

December 22, 2009, 01:02:28 AM
Reply #12

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
When is his contract up?  I love the guy, but if he's going to be around for the next few years maybe he could fade into a staffing role?  I'd love to see him stick around at Everton, irregardless of his role.  Doubtful, I know, he will probably end up back in Australia.

Really I wouldn't blame him, would you?
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." Anais Nin

December 22, 2009, 06:50:18 AM
Reply #13

fubarruk

Still think he's got a bit left in the tank yet.

Never been his biggest fan but he has never been the type of player who runs the game or controls the midfield, even when he's in top form he can go missing during matches. Too much pressure has been put on him to become a creative force, playing in unfamiliar positions, this simply isn't his game.

When we have some creative players back and actually playing well, he can go back to his favoured position, back to becoming an impact player and hopefully performances will improve.

December 22, 2009, 07:58:48 AM
Reply #14

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
If we were to sell him it was at the beginning of this season. i thought we should of made the most from him then. After a terrific last season, he was only going downhill from there.
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...