November 24, 2017, 04:27:28 AM

Author Topic: 'Penny beginning to drop with Anichebe' - Moyes  (Read 3021 times)

March 20, 2010, 03:48:33 AM
Read 3021 times

Scouse Ruletero

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1259301/Evertons-Unplayable-Anichebe-bright-future-sort-attitude.html?ITO=1490

Not a lot to it, but an interesting little article nonetheless.

I've been very critical of him in the past, but I must admit he had a good 30 minutes vs Birmingham and his goal was great. I still think he's got an awful lot to do to ensure his future at Everton and even look like a first team player, but it's encouraging that Moyes thinks that Victor is starting to get his head straight.

And ultimately he is only 21, sometimes it's easy to forget.

deCoubertin

March 20, 2010, 03:51:00 AM
Reply #1

Endless, Nameless

I wonder how good/bad he'd be right now if he hadn't gotten injured...

Oh well, at least Baines is still ace.

March 20, 2010, 03:51:54 AM
Reply #2

Dr. Sponge

I've always thought that he wasn't good enough to make it here. He has great strength, but other than that I don't see much else.

He comes across as immature and petulant in the games I've watched. I hope he proves me wrong.

March 20, 2010, 03:58:33 AM
Reply #3

Risky

NSNO Subscriber
I think Moyes has it spot on to be honest.  It's been said over and over again by a few of us on this site, but he has pretty much everything necessary to be a good PL striker - what he needs to do is put all those pieces together as well as losing the attitude issues that he has.

Fingers crossed he'll do this and we'll have a more than worthwhile player on our books.

March 20, 2010, 03:59:01 AM
Reply #4

Scouse Ruletero

I reckon if he hadn't have got injured at Newcastle last season, he'd have been sold last summer.

If you recall, directly before that, he'd had a big falling out with Moyes, after Moyes had turned down his plea to go to Hull on loan in the January 2009 transfer window. This led to Victor throwing his toys out of the pram and making himself 'unavailable for selection' for the 'Gosling derby' replay. Moyes is the type of boss that usually doesn't forget things like that and likely would have shown him the door for his attitude.

As it was, he suffered the bad injury, and that sort of thing engenders sympathy. Couldn't sell him until he was fit again anyway.

March 20, 2010, 04:01:44 AM
Reply #5

Risky

NSNO Subscriber
I reckon if he hadn't have got injured at Newcastle last season, he'd have been sold last summer.

If you recall, directly before that, he'd had a big falling out with Moyes, after Moyes had turned down his plea to go to Hull on loan in the January 2009 transfer window. This led to Victor throwing his toys out of the pram and making himself 'unavailable for selection' for the 'Gosling derby' replay. Moyes is the type of boss that usually doesn't forget things like that and likely would have shown him the door for his attitude.

As it was, he suffered the bad injury, and that sort of thing engenders sympathy. Couldn't sell him until he was fit again anyway.

Whilst I think it's entirely possible he would have been sold last summer, don't forget that he'd come back after the bust-up and was actually playing pretty well.  His injury came at a terrible time in that sense.

March 20, 2010, 04:07:07 AM
Reply #6

Scouse Ruletero

Whilst I think it's entirely possible he would have been sold last summer, don't forget that he'd come back after the bust-up and was actually playing pretty well.  His injury came at a terrible time in that sense.

That's true as well mate, he came back for the Villa cup game and had a stormer. Then it was the next game at Newcastle that he got crocked at.

That sums him up, he's capable of good performances in spells, he just really needs to put it together for 90 minutes and for a run of games. The attitude thing is harder to sort; plenty of talented players through the years have fell by the wayside because of stuff like that. Often what we don't see at the training ground etc.

March 20, 2010, 04:09:08 AM
Reply #7

Endless, Nameless

I think Moyes has it spot on to be honest.  It's been said over and over again by a few of us on this site, but he has pretty much everything necessary to be a good PL striker - what he needs to do is put all those pieces together as well as losing the attitude issues that he has.

Fingers crossed he'll do this and we'll have a more than worthwhile player on our books.

This. Fingers crossed.

He has everything to be a Drogba-esque striker, so it would be awesome if he could fulfill that potential.
Oh well, at least Baines is still ace.

March 20, 2010, 04:13:26 AM
Reply #8

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
I'm not holding my breath. Hope he proves me wrong, but one good game in many poor ones has done little to convince me he'll be anything special.
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." Anais Nin

March 20, 2010, 04:51:40 AM
Reply #9

blueblood1988

Agree with Dixie. If he's a late developer then expect him to be at everton for many years to come. He's got pace and fuck me he certaintly has power, he's an absolute tank. If he can improve his footballing brain and technique then we may have a wayne allison on our hands! only joking! But he could be a good squad player and his versatility is something he has over vaughan. Saha had only scored 6 goals in his senior career when he was 21, Osman was in our reserves still and Arteta was struggling to cope with British football. Not saying hes gonna be as good as them or jumping on the birmingham performance bandwagon. But time is on his side defo, it could go either way with him. I wouldnt be able to predict tho whether in 5 years he's a premiership star or a target man in league one.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 05:01:06 AM by Blueblood 88 »

March 20, 2010, 03:53:19 PM
Reply #10

MmmBlueRamirez

This. Fingers crossed.

He has everything to be a Drogba-esque striker, so it would be awesome if he could fulfill that potential.

Took the words out my mouth/fingers.

I wonder if he still watchs the drogba vidoes moyes made him watch previously.

He has the physical strength to match drogba, clearly a keen eye for goal and the ability to finish powerfully and clinically with both feet. As mentioned, he just needs to get his attitude right on and off te pitch as he appears to be a bit petulant at times..

Training alongside the Yak and Saha will aid his development and if moyes can further instill his work ethic that he requires of all toffees the Anichebe can have a great career with us.

If we sign another top striker in the summer (which is unlikely) I send him out on loan to a club where he can play every match and claim his position as top dog (top Drog?) by fulfilling his potential.
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

March 21, 2010, 02:58:40 AM
Reply #11

charlatan

Apart from a brain

March 21, 2010, 04:03:07 AM
Reply #12

montanatoffeefan

Everton forever.

March 21, 2010, 08:38:50 AM
Reply #13

123_efc

I think that about Vaughan so much, remember his performance against Arsenal back in 07? Vaughany was world class in that game.
I miss Denis Stracqualursi

March 21, 2010, 03:21:56 PM
Reply #14

Jamokachi

I've always though he has all the attributes needed to make it, at the very highest level. I hope he does that at Everton.

I wonder how bad that injury from yesterday was?