November 20, 2017, 03:46:54 AM

Author Topic: This decade compared to last decade  (Read 3245 times)

December 22, 2009, 03:28:38 AM
Read 3245 times

Con.1878

I know this is the first decade in the history of Everton FC that we have not won a trophy but tbh I am happier with this decade than last decade. Last decade we won a cup but that was it really, almost every season we were fighting for survival. This decade however we have been a comftorble top 6 side(Most of the decade anyway) with a fifth place finish aswell.

What does everybody else think?

deCoubertin

December 22, 2009, 03:30:37 AM
Reply #1

huck

Completely agree with you. The team has seemed more together this decade to. We've gotten more better quality youngsters through the ranks too and overall the squad quality and age is better.
Le Berry

December 22, 2009, 03:33:18 AM
Reply #2

Jamokachi

The 90's, except the FA Cup win, were hideous.

December 22, 2009, 03:39:29 AM
Reply #3

dekko

I also agree with you.
No matter what Vermillion and CPleigh say, in the years that we had Moyes, he rebuilt the reputation of Everton. As you said, last decade we were fighting for survival a lot, and in the "Moyes Era" we are constantly in the top half, and even figthing to be in the top 4. We actually did finished 4th once, and every beginning of season most people that know something about football expect Everton to be challenging to break in the top 4.
We are going through a tough time now, but I believe that once we go through this, the team will be even better than the past years.

December 22, 2009, 03:42:51 AM
Reply #4

ilikebrunettes

20 years down the line, nobody will remember Moyes. "constantly in the top half" in 7 years, Moyes has guided us to 2 bottom half finishes, and likely another this year... so he is just above 50%!

odd, dont think anyone tipped us to threaten the top 4, i remeber Wenger not even mentioning us, which caused uproar on here and kipper
Murray won't ever win a slam. Mentally not good enough

December 22, 2009, 04:10:23 AM
Reply #5

Murf666

20 years down the line, nobody will remember Moyes. "constantly in the top half" in 7 years, Moyes has guided us to 2 bottom half finishes, and likely another this year... so he is just above 50%!

odd, dont think anyone tipped us to threaten the top 4, i remeber Wenger not even mentioning us, which caused uproar on here and kipper

I will still remember Moyes in twenty years.  He's worked wonders for us and I can't believe you can't see that.  You must surely remember the Walter Smith era that preceed him? 

We played terrible, negative football with a bunch of players close to retirement.  We were also in a relegation fight every single season.

Moyes has been a positive revelation by comparison.

The reason no one tipped us to get into the top four is because there are lots of teams with big squads and money to spend.  We have a small squad with lots of injuries and comparatively no money.  Oh and because Moyes is manager, rather than you.
There's nobody better than Murf667, she's the best little Evertonian I know!
As for you, Murf 668, your Everton shirt can hardly wait.

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards.  Checkmate!

December 22, 2009, 04:11:41 AM
Reply #6

sharpattack

NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
The Board might forget, we don't

December 22, 2009, 04:15:31 AM
Reply #7

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
I know this is the first decade in the history of Everton FC that we have not won a trophy but tbh I am happier with this decade than last decade. Last decade we won a cup but that was it really, almost every season we were fighting for survival. This decade however we have been a comftorble top 6 side(Most of the decade anyway) with a fifth place finish aswell.

What does everybody else think?

Wrong. We won nothing in the 50's either.

"All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."
- Walt Disney

December 22, 2009, 03:19:53 PM
Reply #8

ilikebrunettes

I will still remember Moyes in twenty years.  He's worked wonders for us and I can't believe you can't see that.  You must surely remember the Walter Smith era that preceed him? 

We played terrible, negative football with a bunch of players close to retirement.  We were also in a relegation fight every single season.

Moyes has been a positive revelation by comparison.

The reason no one tipped us to get into the top four is because there are lots of teams with big squads and money to spend.  We have a small squad with lots of injuries and comparatively no money.  Oh and because Moyes is manager, rather than you.

Moyes also benefited from the best Everton talent in years, that he sold for big money. that allowed him to re invest in the squad. You cant ignore that! Smith was shit on by Peter Johnson, sold players behind his back. Moyes hasn't had any of that. Who knows what Smith may have achieved in the same conditions as Moyes.

That 'shit 90's' gave me 2 moments of pure joy (cup semi final & Cup final) that Moyes has got nowhere close too!

December 22, 2009, 03:23:35 PM
Reply #9

.Rimbo.

Moyes also benefited from the best Everton talent in years, that he sold for big money. that allowed him to re invest in the squad. You cant ignore that! Smith was shit on by Peter Johnson, sold players behind his back. Moyes hasn't had any of that. Who knows what Smith may have achieved in the same conditions as Moyes.

That 'shit 90's' gave me 2 moments of pure joy (cup semi final & Cup final) that Moyes has got nowhere close too!

How about last year's semi?

December 22, 2009, 03:36:58 PM
Reply #10

Murf666

I bet that, as a percentage of what he has recouped, Moyes spent comparatively less than Smith.  At the start of Smith's reign, he did have some money to spend.

Rooney leaving is just another example of how Moyes has always had to sell in order to buy.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 03:42:57 PM by Murf666 »

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards.  Checkmate!

December 22, 2009, 04:08:36 PM
Reply #11

montanatoffeefan

We just seemed like a stopover for mercenaries in the '90s. Everton had no identity, nothing you could get behind and be proud of -- other than the club's history, which didn't really seem to have much to do with the team anymore. Was a depressing era.

Moyes has given the team an identity and core characteristics we can be proud of and get behind. We're (usually) a tough, well-organized, hard-working, hard-fighting team that gives no quarter no matter how good the opponent and gets on with its business no matter how bad the luck and circumstances. These are admirable qualities and Everton embodies them more than any other club in the Prem, maybe in all Europe.

I think part of our current identity is also unfortunate, but that comes from Kenwright. We are also perpetually underfunded and undermanned and forced to fight against the odds. Moyes has us beating those odds often, and that's good management. But that he has to keep facing long odds is shitty ownership.
Everton forever.

December 22, 2009, 04:20:57 PM
Reply #12

ilikebrunettes

I bet that, as a percentage of what he has recouped, Moyes spent comparatively less than Smith.  At the start of Smith's reign, he did have some money to spend.

Rooney leaving is just another example of how Moyes has always had to sell in order to buy.

i bet thats not true. I remember his 1st summer, he signed Dacourt, Materazzi etc... and had to sell them the next summer. After that, his funds were gone, and had to sign shite. He also had to manage through a board room power struggle. He was shafted on a level Moyes has never had to deal with.

When i look back, it was amazing Smith actually gained us 50 points in a season! In recent prem leagues that would have fighting for the top 8

December 22, 2009, 04:22:26 PM
Reply #13

ilikebrunettes

How about last year's semi?

scarping past a utd reserve side gave me far less plaesure than watching us destroy Spurs. I maen we ripped them to bits with fantastic football

December 22, 2009, 05:00:13 PM
Reply #14

Murf666

i bet thats not true. I remember his 1st summer, he signed Dacourt, Materazzi etc... and had to sell them the next summer. After that, his funds were gone, and had to sign shite. He also had to manage through a board room power struggle. He was shafted on a level Moyes has never had to deal with.

When i look back, it was amazing Smith actually gained us 50 points in a season! In recent prem leagues that would have fighting for the top 8

That's true and I am thankful to Kenwright for it.  I'm also thankful to Smith for keeping us in the division in trying circumstances.

For my money though, Moyes has transformed this club since he's been in charge.  I'm a much happer Evertonian now than I was ten years ago.  We're looking to progress, not hoping for some sort of miracle to lift us out of the mire.