November 24, 2017, 12:40:33 AM

Author Topic: Moyes' youth policy  (Read 6511 times)

December 22, 2009, 09:14:09 PM
Read 6511 times

Simon Paul

Administrator
Is it by design or out of necessity?

Just reading his quotes today, "If you are a father out there now with a son who is doing well you should come to Everton because we have got a chance of putting you in the team just now," Moyes told evertonfc.com.

"We don't have many players and that means a lot of boys got the chance to make their debut for Everton on Thursday. You always get an opportunity here.

"All managers want to bring young players through and we do that here at Everton for sure.

"That is what football is all about. You need to get opportunities to show what you can do. That is what we do at Everton, we give the youngsters chances and it is up to them to grab them."

I've never been convinced Moyes likes playing the youngsters and only does so when forced - like on Thursday really when lots of senior players needed a rest and the game meant nothing

It's rare that a young player will start ahead of a senior player when the senior player is fit and available

deCoubertin

December 22, 2009, 09:33:45 PM
Reply #1

toffee_scot

I agree with you Si, I'm not convinced by Moyes' statement at all. The only reason why youth has been given a chance is because we have such a small squad (we struggle to add numbers) and some very injury prone players. Even when we had 10 first team players out injured, Moyes preferred to play the likes of Cahill out of position on the left wing instead of using Baxter or someone else and it was only when the injury situation was further aggravated that Moyes realised he had absolutely no other choice but to start fielding the likes of Coleman and Duffy. 

The only young player I know in recent times who has actually started ahead of a senior player is Rodwell when Castillo (a regular Ecuador international) was on the bench.

The game against AZ 2 years ago was just as meaningless as the BATE game, however, I only remember Moyes giving Vidarsson and Rodwell their debuts and even then they only came off the bench, although I suppose back then we did have a spell where we had no senior players injured. The BATE game was simply a game Moyes wanted to use to rest players, rather than show the world how great the youngsters are and experiment again with Hibbert at CB and give Osman a run out and Yakubu some extra minutes (even though Yakubu did nothing).

People were calling for Coleman to come on the pitch on Sunday, however, Moyes seems to prefer having 4 regular first team players in defence and the only reason he fielded Coleman against Spurs was because one of the defenders picked up an injury and there was no other experienced player on the bench who could play a defensive role.

December 22, 2009, 09:35:16 PM
Reply #2

Ridge

Might just be a spot of shameless marketing, but we have given Rooney and Rodwell first team berths and several other less successful youngsters were given some chances. I think its normally by design, but just recently several would have been played week in week out, if they were available and a suitable standard.

I think its genuinely a case that if they are good enough, they will play. Mustafi joined citing the first team opportunities as the main draw and I hope that it may draw attention from several other youngsters hungry for first team football. Maybe Moyes has some 17 year old europeans in mind, hoping the lure of minutes on the field will convince one or two to seek a move, or at least be more receptive.

December 22, 2009, 09:46:38 PM
Reply #3

Verm

NSNO Subscriber
It would be nice to have some talented foreign teenagers here.
"..whenever i see an everton shirt i think there goes an everton fan. whenever i see a liverpool shirt i think there's someone wearing a liverpool shirt.."

December 22, 2009, 09:56:37 PM
Reply #4

Scouse Ruletero

It would be nice to have some talented foreign teenagers here.

Would it? Hasn't done Liverpool's youth system much good.

I'd rather we just had talented youngsters from anywhere - though it's always better to have youngsters who have a feeling for the club and an understanding of what things mean to the fans.

December 22, 2009, 09:57:44 PM
Reply #5

Jamokachi

If you're good enough you'll get a game under Moyes. As has been shown with Baxter, Anichebe, Vaughan, Gosling, Rodwell, Rooney etc. I don't buy into the fairly new opinion that he doesn't give youth a chance.

It is more important for Everton to focus on this type of recruitment though, because we can't afford the top players of today, so we need to try and find the top players of tomorrow.

December 22, 2009, 10:02:49 PM
Reply #6

Scouse Ruletero

Is it by design or out of necessity?

I've never been convinced Moyes likes playing the youngsters and only does so when forced - like on Thursday really when lots of senior players needed a rest and the game meant nothing

It's rare that a young player will start ahead of a senior player when the senior player is fit and available

It's both by design and out of necessity - we have little money, and when you have little money, you use your youth system.

If Moyes had loads of money, of course he wouldn't be looking to blood as many kids - because he wouldn't need to as we'd have a squad the size of Spurs.

He's used Rodwell plenty of times this season and left senior pros on the bench. He used the likes of Rodwell and Gosling last season and left the likes of Van Der Meyde and Castillo on the bench. The usage of Vaughan and Anichebe has often come ahead of some senior strikers too.

December 22, 2009, 10:23:58 PM
Reply #7

top flight for a long time

I don't think he doesn't like young players I just think he doesn't like ones that don't appear to be good enough.  Some players he's released have done well in lower leagues but probably wouldn't cut it at premier level.  I understand what you're saying about Chadwick, though, because he came on in some matches, scored and then disappeared into the reserves again.

We're forever Everton....

December 22, 2009, 10:27:13 PM
Reply #8

Haile GAZrselassie

it's got me worried that the bloke is losing his fucking mind if im honest.

"if you've got a son who is doing well at the moment you should bring him to everton cos the chances are he will get a game here just now"

my mate's kid turned 2 last month. he cant even tie his own shoes yet, takes a nap in the afternoon and is in bed for 8, effectively ruling him out of night games and the europa cup.

does moyes still think i should tell my mate to take him up to the stadium of light saturday for a run out?

cattermole and cana would have one of their easier games.
Stealth ya flaming galargh!!!

December 22, 2009, 10:28:31 PM
Reply #9

Jamokachi

I think it's just a case of if you're good enough you'll get a chance.

I know it's Moyes' decision at the end of the day but he will no doubt be given a hell of a lot of info on the players by the other coaches.

Daniel Fox is the only one you mentioned that looks like he may have slipped through the net. But is he good enough for the Premiership? I don't know.

December 22, 2009, 10:39:30 PM
Reply #10

Murf666

Walter Smith gave Chadwich more chances than Moyes did

He hasn't done much since though has he?  Neither has Hughes, Kissock or Irving.
There's nobody better than Murf667, she's the best little Evertonian I know!
As for you, Murf 668, your Everton shirt can hardly wait.

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards.  Checkmate!

December 22, 2009, 10:58:44 PM
Reply #11

Jamokachi

Yes, but Si, if they're not good enough what's the point in giving them a chance? Everton Football Club is not a charity.

December 22, 2009, 11:00:30 PM
Reply #12

Verm

NSNO Subscriber
Would it? Hasn't done Liverpool's youth system much good.

I'd rather we just had talented youngsters from anywhere - though it's always better to have youngsters who have a feeling for the club and an understanding of what things mean to the fans.

Key word being 'talented'. ;)
"..whenever i see an everton shirt i think there goes an everton fan. whenever i see a liverpool shirt i think there's someone wearing a liverpool shirt.."

December 22, 2009, 11:24:25 PM
Reply #13

Ridge

Out of the lads who started on Thursday, how many will "make it"?

Why bother keeping these lads at all and putting them on the bench if they're not good enough?
Its not that clear cut who will make at that age, I'm sure several of them won't make the desired grade. But they were played as an opportunity and because Moyes was happy to rest the first team with qualification safe.

We'll play them when we need and none of the ones released have gone on to do much. Its a harsh reality of premiership football, some will get chances others won't, it depends on injuries and various factors. But I feel that if we have a player of real quality, we will give them first team football ahead of many other clubs.

December 22, 2009, 11:34:56 PM
Reply #14

Scouse Ruletero

Walter Smith gave Chadwich more chances than Moyes did

The thing is though, that says more about Walter Smith's poor judgement than David Moyes.

Look where Chadwick is now - at Chester City, and if he stays with them, playing Blue Square North football next season. It's harsh on Chadwick, but Moyes should be applauded for his judgement of such players.

He doesn't always get it right - Daniel Fox (now at Celtic) is one example, but a lot of the time, Moyes' judgement of these young players is spot on.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 11:39:38 PM by DixieSixty »