November 21, 2017, 09:57:13 PM

Author Topic: Moyes' youth policy  (Read 6508 times)

December 22, 2009, 11:37:13 PM
Reply #15

Scouse Ruletero

Key word being 'talented'. ;)

Liverpool signed players from the likes of Barcelona and Real Madrid.

Everton do a lot of things wrong, but the youth system at Everton is one of the few things we do right - one of the best in the country, alongside United's and Arsenal's.

deCoubertin

December 23, 2009, 02:12:07 AM
Reply #16

MmmBlueRamirez

The way I read that interview is that Moyes realiseds that BK is never gonna provide him with any significant transfer fund so the only way that Moyes will get any money to improve the team is by developing youth and selling them on a la Rooney and dare we say it Rodwell. Which is slightly ironic in that the team may be stronger if we had kept them.
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

December 23, 2009, 04:39:03 AM
Reply #17

Gash

Global Moderator
Always liked Mark Hughes (no not that one) As a defender he always had something about him, not that I saw many games of his, bit from what I did, he looked pretty decent.

I think Si's right in that respect. Just because they haven't made it elsewhere, doesn't mean they wouldn't have, if they'd been given a chance at Everton. Being released from a premier league club can be harder mentally than physically.

I think someone said last year, that it was injuries, not Moyes, that put Arteta in the middle. So maybe injuries have forced Moyes to make the changes and give youngsters a chance. Rather than their outright ability

December 23, 2009, 05:35:34 AM
Reply #18

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
I have always thought Moyes has been one to bring players forward at the right times. Rooney, Gosling, Rodwell, Vaughn, Anichebe all players Moyes has encouraged.  For me he spots and nurtures talent as much as anyone.  Signings of players like garbutt are evidence that Moyes places worth in youth. I dont believe for one minute Moyes would be playing so much youth if we didnt have injuries but I do believe he plays players who are good enough.

December 23, 2009, 05:46:57 AM
Reply #19

ilikebrunettes

has any young / youth player Moyes bought, actually made the grade?? Gosling maybe

Lukas
Spencer
Ruddy
turner

He does seem to strike lucky with the acadamey lads that were here before him
Murray won't ever win a slam. Mentally not good enough

December 23, 2009, 05:29:16 PM
Reply #20

Scouse Ruletero

has any young / youth player Moyes bought, actually made the grade?? Gosling maybe

Lukas
Spencer
Ruddy
turner

He does seem to strike lucky with the acadamey lads that were here before him

Seamus Coleman was a Moyes signing, 60,000 from Sligo Rovers last January.

Kieran Agard - another Moyes signing in 2005.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 05:31:26 PM by DixieSixty »

December 23, 2009, 06:08:54 PM
Reply #21

ilikebrunettes

Seamus Coleman was a Moyes signing, £60,000 from Sligo Rovers last January.

Kieran Agard - another Moyes signing in 2005.

Agard will be playing in League 1! Awful prospect.

Coleman, still early i suppose. Looks good though, maybe thats becuase i have endured 10 years of Hibbert tho

December 23, 2009, 06:11:18 PM
Reply #22

Scouse Ruletero

Agard will be playing in League 1! Awful prospect.

Coleman, still early i suppose. Looks good though, maybe thats becuase i have endured 10 years of Hibbert tho

What a judgement on Agard - based on what?

One game vs BATE?
Three sub appearances for a combined total of less than 10 minutes?

Laughable comments.

Early days on Coleman, but it answered your question.

December 23, 2009, 06:15:59 PM
Reply #23

ilikebrunettes

Agard is 21, and is only just now getting a tiny chance! he is shite, has the touch of a rapist...

trust me, league 1

December 23, 2009, 06:22:23 PM
Reply #24

Scouse Ruletero

Agard is 21, and is only just now getting a tiny chance! he is shite, has the touch of a rapist...

trust me, league 1

Season ticket for the Ressies, have you?

Embarrassing lad.

December 23, 2009, 08:06:15 PM
Reply #25

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I think his comments currently are based on necessity rather than any plan.

Apart from Coleman, non of that team would be near the first team were everyone fit.

That doesn't mean that he wouldn't pick one of them if they were better than the senior players. At the end of the 06-07 season Moyes was picking both Vaughan and Anichebe ahead of Beattie.

Rooney was getting picked ahead of Radzinski/Campbell/Big Dunc for large parts of his career with us.

Rodwell is often picked ahead of senior players.

When you look at other teams we have a decent record of playing younger players and bringing them on.

Ironically, Middlesbrough who were often praised for picking lots of youngsters, sold their experienced players and went down.

Idon't think that there's a lack of coincidence there.

December 23, 2009, 08:26:20 PM
Reply #26

Scouse Ruletero

I've seen Agard a fair bit, over the past 3 or 4 years infact

He really does have an awful first touch at times, but just like Nick Chadwick he will pop up and score when it's needed

From what I've seen of him, he has that rarest thing at our club: PACE!

Don't care if his first touch isn't the best, pace opens up opportunities for others and gives defences something else to think about. He's the perfect player to bring on to hurt tired defences at the end of games.

December 23, 2009, 08:36:01 PM
Reply #27

Scouse Ruletero

he is slower than Andy Johnson was and than James Vaugan is

Gonna have to beg to differ Si. Looks pacy to me.

If Anichebe and Vaughan were consistently fit and we had any sort of proper squad, he'd be the perfect candidate for a loan spell at a Championship club.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 08:40:08 PM by DixieSixty »

December 23, 2009, 09:24:48 PM
Reply #28

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
I think his comments currently are based on necessity rather than any plan.

Apart from Coleman, non of that team would be near the first team were everyone fit.

That doesn't mean that he wouldn't pick one of them if they were better than the senior players. At the end of the 06-07 season Moyes was picking both Vaughan and Anichebe ahead of Beattie.

Rooney was getting picked ahead of Radzinski/Campbell/Big Dunc for large parts of his career with us.

Rodwell is often picked ahead of senior players.

When you look at other teams we have a decent record of playing younger players and bringing them on.

Ironically, Middlesbrough who were often praised for picking lots of youngsters, sold their experienced players and went down.

Idon't think that there's a lack of coincidence there.

Gonna have to agree, we need experience back and fast!

Said to my mate at the match the other day (never thought id say this) but we are missing big Victor IMO. I think he would of come on leaps and bounds in the time he has been out I think. His attitude fucked me off, but at the end of the day he is an adolescent young man. Who wasn't a twat when they were that age. Its natural. 

December 23, 2009, 09:25:31 PM
Reply #29

Scouse Ruletero

James Vaughan is the boy for pace and is a more consistent finisher too

Vaughan never scores though. 6 goals in 38 appearances?

Even accounting for short run outs as a sub, that's a poor record.

Hard worker, will never hide and will run all day for you, but simply not a composed finisher at all. Definitely not in the Premier League anyway.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 09:32:35 PM by DixieSixty »