November 18, 2017, 03:23:16 AM

Author Topic: Moyes' youth policy  (Read 6488 times)

December 23, 2009, 09:36:35 PM
Reply #30

Scouse Ruletero

how many MINUTES has Vaughan had?

2 minutes at the end of games is not enough to count really is it?

all very well saying he gets appearances, but it's all about the length of time he is on the pitch

if you think Vaughan is anything but a natural goalscorer then you don't watch a lot of football, or you don't understand what you do see

Of his 38 appearances, 10 were starts. This is over the past 5 years.

What are we basing Vaughan being 'a natural goalscorer' on, then?

I'm completely open to being persuaded otherwise. Has he scored 20 a season for the reserves?

deCoubertin

December 23, 2009, 10:11:51 PM
Reply #31

cantoffee

I'm with Si on this one Dixie, Vaughn is older now, he understands the game better and he's a good finisher(not great, but good enough for the pl). If he can finally stay fit and get a run of games I think he'll push the Yak(on current form) and Jo behind him in the pecking order.

I've also always thought the judgement of Anichebe to be extremely harsh, I think he has fantastic potential and his sheer physical ability is ridiculous. I know it was only one game but the way he tore Aston Villa a new arsehole last year was Drogba-esque. I'm not saying he'll ever be at that level but if he's matured a bit and his understanding of the game improves(which it should with) he'll be an asset to the club.

December 23, 2009, 10:13:47 PM
Reply #32

Scouse Ruletero

Have a look at when he scored those goals

Was it when he was getting a bit of a run of games?  I think you'll find it was.

I'm basing my knowledge of him on seeing him develop since he was 15 and seeing his ability

Have a look at the goals he has scored.  Have a look at him and his movement when he's on the pitch.  He is head and shoulders above his mate Anichebe and the game which they both started 2 seasons ago showed that when Vaughan was just getting into his stride again, and Victor had had a good run in the first team.

Vaughan was showing Victor where to run, he was telling him what his movement should be - and he was right.

The boy will get goals if he can stay fit and is given a run in the first team.  

I do agree with you that he's far superior to Anichebe.

He's 21 now, not 15..... that's a hell of a long time in a footballers' development. He's not finished by any means, but he needs a run of games just to prove his fitness though, which is what the whole Derby loan spell was supposed to be for. Only he got injured!

I can understand what Moyes is thinking is - the loan spells in the lower league did Osman (who had long spells out injured as a youngster himself before became established) the world of good, and prepared him properly for the Premier League. A similar experience for Vaughan could do him a lot of good. Say he went back to Derby, and had a good 5 months, steered clear of injury, got a run in the side and scored 5 to 10 goals (not an unreasonable target), then he'd be ready to come back, have a good pre-season and be ready for us. In an ideal world.

I'd love Vaughan to do well for us - seems a good lad, took guts to take the penalty in the semi and I've seen his dad at many Everton away games over the past few years.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 10:15:35 PM by DixieSixty »

December 23, 2009, 11:38:33 PM
Reply #33

montanatoffeefan

I agree that Victor could have been a decent player, given his crazy strength. But will he ever play again? What's the latest on him?

As for Moyes' comments, I thoiught they were a sly shot at that board more than anything.
Everton forever.

December 23, 2009, 11:59:49 PM
Reply #34

huck

Allot of very good players slip through every club I feel at Everton though we have managed to nurture our better players and either keep them or in Rooneys case get a good amount of money for them. Rooney leaving was not down to Moyes.
Le Berry

December 24, 2009, 09:22:04 AM
Reply #35

.Rimbo.

"If you are a father out there now with a son who is doing well you should come to Everton because we have got a chance of putting you in the team just now," Moyes told evertonfc.com.

HAHAHAHAH!

December 24, 2009, 09:23:31 AM
Reply #36

.Rimbo.

Might just be a spot of shameless marketing, but we have given Rooney and Rodwell first team berths and several other less successful youngsters were given some chances. I think its normally by design, but just recently several would have been played week in week out, if they were available and a suitable standard.

I think its genuinely a case that if they are good enough, they will play. Mustafi joined citing the first team opportunities as the main draw and I hope that it may draw attention from several other youngsters hungry for first team football. Maybe Moyes has some 17 year old europeans in mind, hoping the lure of minutes on the field will convince one or two to seek a move, or at least be more receptive.

Rodwell played his first game alongside Jagielka in midfield and came through at a time when we were on a needs-must basis. Because he has proven his ability, Moyes can basically trust him now.

As for Rooney, we only had dogshit up front anyway so he had nothing to lose. The lad clearly had ability and had more zest than the aging Campbell and Radzinski.

December 24, 2009, 06:19:55 PM
Reply #37

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Rodwell played his first game alongside Jagielka in midfield and came through at a time when we were on a needs-must basis. Because he has proven his ability, Moyes can basically trust him now.

As for Rooney, we only had dogshit up front anyway so he had nothing to lose. The lad clearly had ability and had more zest than the aging Campbell and Radzinski.

But picking people like Rodwell and Rooney doesn't disprove that he gives young players does it? In fact it should only go to show that if you are good enough you'll get picked.

As has been said, people like Anichebe have been picked while many others who have been clamoured over by fans but ignored by Moyes haven't ever gone on to prove him massively wrong so far.

Oh and on the subject of Vaughan, I feel very confident in saying that if (yes I know) he hadn't suffered his injuries he'd be a certain starter for England in place of Heskey.