November 21, 2017, 08:08:30 PM

Author Topic: The Most important USA 'footie' player  (Read 2988 times)

December 22, 2009, 10:45:34 PM
Read 2988 times

nomorechang

RIP
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/312267-five-most-important-american-soccer-players-of-the-decade#page/7

No American player this decade, maybe even in history, has taken advantage of opportunities presented to him and come up bigger in monumental situations.

At the club level, Howard spent the beginning of the decade displaying his quick reflexes and incredible shot-stopping ability with MLS' MetroStars (now Red Bull New York). Howard was so impressive that in '03 he was sold to iconic soccer club Manchester United for $4 million. It was MLS' first big transfer.

Howard won the starting position before the season began and did not disappoint. He became the first American to receive a winner's medal in the FA Cup and in his first season in the Premier League was named to the league's Best XI, the only Manchester United player on the squad.

Howard moved on to Everton, where he immediately cemented himself as the number one. In '09, Howard set the club record for clean sheets in a season.

Howard was also the MLS All-Star game MVP in '09 for his performance in the penalty kick shootout that led Everton to victory and to become the first foreign club to beat the team of All-Stars.

His international career has been relatively brief but he has maximized every moment of it.

Howard was a member of the '00 Olympic team and the '06 World Cup squad, but in '07 he was finally given the opportunity to be the country's number one.

At a time when the national team began to challenge itself with friendlies against world-class competition, Howard established himself as an elite goalie.

In the August '08, on the heels of matches against England and Spain—both in Europe—the U.S. played number one ranked Argentina at Giants Stadium. Howard, a North Brunswick, New Jersey native, had quite the homecoming. Howard put the team on his shoulders and led them to a 0-0 tie. Left out to dry all alone too often, he made seven saves on the night, a number of which were point-blank one-on-one stops that kept the team in the game. Had it not been for Howard that night, the Americans would have most likely been laughed off the pitch.

Another notable performance was in the '09 Confederations Cup against another number one ranked team, Spain. The U.S. shocked the world by winning 2-0 and Howard was brilliant in goal.

The U.S. was outshot 29-9 on the match, but Howard stood strong and turned away scoring chances from Fernando Torres, David Villa, and Sergio Ramos. Howard's game against Spain was named "Most Clutch Performance" in the U.S. Soccer Awards, voted on by fans.

Howard was also awarded the Golden Glove—the tournament's best goalkeeper—for the '09 Confederations Cup.

He was named U.S. Soccer Athlete of the Year in '08. Many also seriously believe that he should have won at least one of the previous three Honda Player of the Year awards.

Some may argue that Donovan's stats and awards should put him atop the list. Some may also argue that the U.S. team would be worse off if Donovan, not Howard, were injured. Some would even point that the above argument for Howard stems from one big transfer and only two games; that there just isn't enough body of work.

Not to downplay Donovan's career, but Howard has become big-time. He has stepped up and put together sensational performances against some of the world's best for both club and country. He was the first big transfer from MLS that paved the way for guys like Clint Dempsey and Jozy Altidore—and possibly even Landon Donovan himself sometime soon—to move to European giants.

Howard is the United States' only true world-class player. Is there any other U.S. men's national team player that you would consider to be in the top-five at his position out of everyone in the world? Howard is, and that's it.

Sensational skill, marvelous performances, big time clubs, and setting precedent for Americans, especially MLS players, to succeed overseas make Howard the most important American player of the decade.

Once Everton has touched you nothing will be the same"
Alan Ball

" Notoriously shy and laconic off the field, Dean's quotes are sparse. He is reputed to have said to an over-enthusiastic marker 'I'm going for a pee. You coming?' "

deCoubertin

December 22, 2009, 11:09:30 PM
Reply #1

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber

December 22, 2009, 11:11:14 PM
Reply #2

toffee_scot

A very good article on Howard and I have always been a fan of his since he joined us on loan, at that time Martyn had unfortunately retired because of injury but Tim has done a great job taking over the gloves. He is a consistant performer and always seems to make it in my Top 3 Players of the Season vote (at the moment for this season he is definitely in there still).

December 23, 2009, 01:49:05 AM
Reply #3

Midfield General

He has been another gem of a buy from Moyes, the best we've had since Southall without doubt.

December 23, 2009, 02:15:47 AM
Reply #4

Midfield General

Yeah funny you should mention Martyn I was thinking about him when I wrote my bit and I agree he does run him a close second, was gutted when we missed out on him in... was it 96?

December 23, 2009, 02:22:49 AM
Reply #5

MmmBlueRamirez

Howard is the United States' only true world-class player. Is there any other U.S. men's national team player that you would consider to be in the top-five at his position out of everyone in the world? Howard is, and that's it.

Great read until near the end.

Hes not even top 5 in the prem let alone world.
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

December 23, 2009, 02:57:40 AM
Reply #6

slothzen

Yeah that's a pretty silly claim.  Although I think it's debatable whether or not he is top 5 in the prem.  If he's not in the top 5 he is certainly in the top 10, and in contention.  I think he's better than Lehman, and certainly Cech ATM, who has been in a bad run of form atm.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 03:00:16 AM by slothzen »

December 23, 2009, 03:36:29 AM
Reply #7

Jamokachi

He's easily in the top 5 Prem keepers, and top 10 in the World imo.

December 23, 2009, 04:01:06 AM
Reply #8

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
The author sure like to start his sentences with Howard. Felt like I was reading a primary school essay.
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...

December 23, 2009, 04:04:56 AM
Reply #9

Thom

Administrator
There really aren't that many great keepers in the Premier League at the moment. Freidel, Van Der Sar, Reina, Given and Howard would arguably be the top five. You could throw in Jaaskalienen (sp?) in there too but there aren't many other quality goalkeepers.

December 23, 2009, 04:18:26 AM
Reply #10

Verm

NSNO Subscriber
Great read until near the end.

Hes not even top 5 in the prem let alone world.

Who would you put above him?
"..whenever i see an everton shirt i think there goes an everton fan. whenever i see a liverpool shirt i think there's someone wearing a liverpool shirt.."

December 23, 2009, 04:44:51 AM
Reply #11

MmmBlueRamirez

Who would you put above him?

Sorensen
Given
Van Der Sar
Reina
Cech (when hes on form)
 Jaakelainen
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

December 23, 2009, 04:47:46 AM
Reply #12

Verm

NSNO Subscriber
Sorensen
Given
Van Der Sar
Reina
Cech (when hes on form)
 Jaakelainen

Thomas Sorensen? Behave!

He may be on a decent run of form just now but Howard's a much better keeper.
"..whenever i see an everton shirt i think there goes an everton fan. whenever i see a liverpool shirt i think there's someone wearing a liverpool shirt.."

December 23, 2009, 04:56:59 AM
Reply #13

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
Thomas Sorensen? Behave!

He may be on a decent run of form just now but Howard's a much better keeper.

Very much this. His handling is actually outstanding. Every now and again he will hesitate, but which keeper doesn't. He will cut more and more mistakes out of his game as he gets more and more experienced. He will be our No.1 for a long time yet.

December 23, 2009, 05:55:48 AM
Reply #14

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
I think howard is one of the most underrated keepers of recent years. He is rarely spectacular but his positioning is world class.

For me he has been the top keeper in the league this season.  I dread to think were we would be right now without him