November 22, 2017, 09:04:09 PM

Poll

What do you prefer, sale at the cost of the club, or wait for the bubble to burst

Keep British
13 (76.5%)
OIl shieks play thing
4 (23.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Sale of EFC, Keep British, or Oil sheiks play thing  (Read 4829 times)

December 24, 2009, 02:52:01 AM
Reply #15

Chazman

Man City fans will forget Hughes just as soon as Evertonians forgot Johnny Carey in the 60's

Rich Englishmen sack halfway decent managers in favour of better ones too....

Agreed mate.It's still embarrassing to what happened to Catterick in Blackpool too
"I fuckin love this club"

deCoubertin

December 24, 2009, 08:08:00 AM
Reply #16

Endless, Nameless

I'd find it hard to maintain that blue pride if we had oil-tycoon puppetmasters pulling our strings.
Oh well, at least Baines is still ace.

December 24, 2009, 08:20:00 AM
Reply #17

cantoffee

I'd find it hard to maintain that blue pride if we had oil-tycoon puppetmasters pulling our strings.

I'm sure you'd learn to live with it if we had the ability to bring in the M'bias and Arshavins of the world when they are available instead of constantly having these players slip through our hands.

December 24, 2009, 06:44:16 PM
Reply #18

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Si makes a good point re John Moores.

Too many of our supporters are quick to forget that we were the "money" team back then. However the main difference was that any money from him was only ever a loan and that to break even in terms of finance, we only had to average 34,000 p/w.

Most of the investors today don't put their own money in, or set up the club to break even.

However on the original post, it surely doesn't make any difference where the money is from? If they are not an Evertonian then they could be from anywhere for all I care.

One thing that should be kept in mind though, is that we are not doing ok at present.

If we were to fall down the league for a number of seasons, we won't be able to afford our wage bill. That equals selling players, which usually equals more dropping down the league. I think we can all see where that argument is heading.

Our current "rosy" picture is solely built on decent PL performances. There is hardly any off the pitch support to our financial position.

Even if a new owner had very little money, it is of vital importance that they know how to run things properly. Including turning up to board meetings etc...

December 24, 2009, 08:42:27 PM
Reply #19

Endless, Nameless

"
Ask your dad what he thought when Harry Catterick was bank-rolled by John Moores and we were called the Mersey Millionaires.....which wasn't given to us as a compliment.

Do you think fans of the 60's gave a flying fuck whether we were "buying success" through bringing in players like Gordon West, Alex Young, Tony Kay, Ray Wilson, Howard Kendall, Alan Ball...?

John Moores grew up watching both Everton and Liverpool by the way, and would have been hard pushed to decide which one he "supported" before he bought Everton

John Moores sacked a manager who had achieved relative success with Everton to bring in a man who was better...something people seem scared a "foreign buyer" would do

He also sold one of our best ever players in Alan Ball....something else people seem scared a "oil barren" would do

Yet this period is looked on as one of our most successful and with pride.

At least he grew up watching football, in Liverpool. Not in a distant land unaware of what an Everton was. I do "know my history", I'm an Evertonian for Christ's sake. I do understand that you need money, and it's difficult for the money to come from a lifelong supporter of your team, but I'd rather have someone who understands what Everton is about. These Sheiks are just having fun with their money, in some kind of ultra-high stakes gambling session.

December 24, 2009, 08:47:05 PM
Reply #20

Flusky

So a British buyer wouldn't just be in it for the money?

Really?

Like Mike Ashley?  What part of Dubai was he born in?

I think a British owner would be less likely to fuck over the club because they would be held accountable. They wouldn't be able to do sensible business in this country again if they ripped us off.

I'd rather we had a British owner but I'm not in any way against having a foreign owner. Just look at the Glazers, Lerner, and the rest who have done a decent job since taking over. Its not all bad.

December 24, 2009, 09:33:10 PM
Reply #21

Endless, Nameless

Football is a global game and the English game has ALWAYS been popular worldwide

So even if we completely ignore the fact that multi-billionaire businessmen tend to do a wee bit of research before they invest hundreds of millions of pounds into any venture, then we can be sure that they'll have an understanding of Everton's place in football

An wee bit of understanding is shit. They need to know their history, so their hearts go-ooooooo :)

December 24, 2009, 11:12:45 PM
Reply #22

Endless, Nameless

Strange that we're prepared to believe the likes of Tim Cahill and Alan Ball and Dave Hickson - none of whom grew up as Evertonians - when they say stuff like "Once Everton has touched you nothing will be the same again" and yet we live in constant fear that a foreign businessman will come in and be totally cold towards our club's history and standing

If a modern-day mercenary footballer can be won over and fall in love with Everton, then why can't an intelligent businessman?

Good point, but it is different. Players come here and they realise they are just a part of it, they work for it and they are not bigger than the club. Billionaires will feel that they are bigger than the club and that the club needs them more than they need it.

December 25, 2009, 01:03:59 AM
Reply #23

Endless, Nameless

Like Randy Lerner at Villa?

Or like Peter Ridsdale at Leeds?

I have genuinely never heard of those people... :$

December 25, 2009, 03:35:46 AM
Reply #24

montanatoffeefan

Hey, how about George W. Bush? He has proven in the past that he can put together a dubious consortium of investors to buy a sports club and engineer shady deals to get a new stadium built.  His competency and honesty levels are consistent with Kenwright's, possibly even slightly higher.

With Obama tanking things in the States, having W. as Everton's owner wouldn't automatically make the club anathema to a majority of Americans and it would certainly raise our profile in the U.S. We may even become the chosen "soccer" club of born-agains. They could pack Goodison for evangelical rallies and lobby the league to forbid scheduling us for the dread Sunday fixtures. Plus, W. needs a job.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 03:42:30 AM by montanatoffeefan »
Everton forever.

December 25, 2009, 04:14:22 AM
Reply #25

Endless, Nameless

I'd hang myself if W. took over Everton. We'd be the laughing stock of... well... the entire fucking world.