November 22, 2017, 01:32:31 AM

Author Topic: If you think Cahill IS an Everton legend...  (Read 4521 times)

April 22, 2010, 12:21:24 AM
Read 4521 times

.Rimbo.

What do you make of Arteta?

He's played for us for almost the same amount of time and surely he fits the ethos of "The School of Science" and the Holy Trinity more than Cahill?

Is he a legend too?

deCoubertin

April 22, 2010, 12:25:03 AM
Reply #1

Endless, Nameless

Yes. Yes he is.

He's a far better footballer, and he owes this club just as much and loves it just as much, I think. Cahill's Mr Everton, and he's like... Prince Everton. As gay as that sounds.
Oh well, at least Baines is still ace.

April 22, 2010, 12:28:24 AM
Reply #2

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
He can't be an Everton legend. Everton icon and hero for this time but no legend. The closest we have to a legend is Moyes, provided he takes us to a league title and more silverware.
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...

April 22, 2010, 12:28:27 AM
Reply #3

.Rimbo.

Yes. Yes he is.

He's a far better footballer, and he owes this club just as much and loves it just as much, I think. Cahill's Mr Everton, and he's like... Prince Everton. As gay as that sounds.

But can you be considered an Everton legend if you've played 175 games for the club?

This is what I mean about the "modern day legend" in the Cahill thread. I think it uses a whole new metric now. In the olden days it was common for players to play 300 games for a club but now players move about on a hot tin roof.

It's hard to say.

April 22, 2010, 12:29:34 AM
Reply #4

MmmBlueRamirez

If arteta had been player in central midfield (his current and best role) from the start the I think that he would be closer to legendary status than Cahill. Unfortunately he was played on the wing too much and went missing in many games.

His influence is clear to see when he is playing centrally and he brings a fluidity to our play like no other player has for since the 80s.
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

April 22, 2010, 12:35:42 AM
Reply #5

Endless, Nameless

But can you be considered an Everton legend if you've played 175 games for the club?

This is what I mean about the "modern day legend" in the Cahill thread. I think it uses a whole new metric now. In the olden days it was common for players to play 300 games for a club but now players move about on a hot tin roof.

It's hard to say.

There shouldn't be set criteria for such an ambiguous term.

You'd be a legend if you played for us a stupid amount of times, ie Big Nev, but at the end of the day injury could curtail your career. Donovan has to go down as an icon for us, or something, after only 10 or so appearances.

April 22, 2010, 12:38:04 AM
Reply #6

.Rimbo.

There shouldn't be set criteria for such an ambiguous term.

You'd be a legend if you played for us a stupid amount of times, ie Big Nev, but at the end of the day injury could curtail your career. Donovan has to go down as an icon for us, or something, after only 10 or so appearances.

An icon is different though. Gary Lineker would be an icon.

Legends, for me, are Dixie Dean, Tommy Lawton, Alan Ball, Howard Kendall, Colin Harvey, Graeme Sharp, Peter Reid, Neville Southall, Dave Watson.

April 22, 2010, 12:41:26 AM
Reply #7

Endless, Nameless

An icon is different though. Gary Lineker would be an icon.

Legends, for me, are Dixie Dean, Tommy Lawton, Alan Ball, Howard Kendall, Colin Harvey, Graeme Sharp, Peter Reid, Neville Southall, Dave Watson.

Well Mikky and Tim are modern day legends. In 10+years I'll look back like I look at Dunc now, and how the older people look at the players you've mentioned.

April 22, 2010, 12:42:05 AM
Reply #8

Risky

NSNO Subscriber
To be honest, you can only really answer this question in respect of either Arteta or Cahill in 25 years time or so.

April 22, 2010, 12:43:33 AM
Reply #9

toffee_scot

That's right, Arteta has been at this club almost as long as Cahill.

The thing is how would you define the term legend? I guess a player would have to meet the criteria consisting of 1) genuine quality 2) length of service to the club 3) Loyalty and interaction with the fans 4) to what extent has their presence made an overall positive impact to the team?

April 22, 2010, 12:55:54 AM
Reply #10

evertonjoe

Best player i've ever seen in an Everton shirt. Rooney is evidently better now but Arteta's performances exceed those of Rooney whilst he was here.

R.A.P Music

April 22, 2010, 01:10:07 AM
Reply #11

Flusky

We live in a different generation, a generation of continental and international footballers being commonplace in the league but... I can't help thinking him being Spanish will go against him with regards to legend status. Don't get me wrong, I put him on a pedestal next to Cahill but somehow I think an English speaking player will be remembered more.... am I making sense?

April 22, 2010, 01:14:17 AM
Reply #12

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Arteta probably speaks better English than most.

Think he's fluent in 5 other languages though, so he has a brain on his head too.
"All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."
- Walt Disney

April 22, 2010, 01:35:08 AM
Reply #13

cad

Arteta probably speaks better English than most.

Think he's fluent in 5 other languages though, so he has a brain on his head too.

I think I know what you mean, Blarg...but that can't be a pretty sight :)
veni veni veni

Don't worry yourself into an early grave...it will happen soon enough.

April 22, 2010, 02:03:53 AM
Reply #14

plumber

Arteta is a better player, but not as blue as Cahill.
I think he likes us and feels good here and there's no denying his profesionalism and commitment, but I think Everton is just a good workplace for him.  He doesn't bleed blue, he has no Everton tattoo, he never said he would never ever play for the shite, etc.