November 23, 2017, 03:13:07 PM

Author Topic: If you think Cahill IS an Everton legend...  (Read 4522 times)

April 22, 2010, 02:05:38 AM
Reply #15

evertonjoe

Arteta is a better player, but not as blue as Cahill.
I think he likes us and feels good here and there's no denying his profesionalism and commitment, but I think Everton is just a good workplace for him.  He doesn't bleed blue, he has no Everton tattoo, he never said he would never ever play for the shite, etc.

He came out Earlier in the season and said he wants to stay at Everton for the rest of his career for a player of his ability and age (he's only 27) that's a huge commitment and shows how much he loves the club

R.A.P Music

deCoubertin

April 22, 2010, 02:13:16 AM
Reply #16

nomorechang

RIP
Mikel Arteta is our Ronnie Goodlass

Tim Cahill is our Andy King

nobody from our current squad is Bob Latchford or Neville Southall though ;)

That's a good analogy but I'd maybe put Mikel as more of a Davy Thomas ? .. Legends are Bally , Nev , Latch , Labby , Dixie and The Golden Vision .. Nobody currently comes near those lads
Once Everton has touched you nothing will be the same"
Alan Ball

" Notoriously shy and laconic off the field, Dean's quotes are sparse. He is reputed to have said to an over-enthusiastic marker 'I'm going for a pee. You coming?' "

April 22, 2010, 02:43:45 AM
Reply #17

Scouse Ruletero

The 'legend' comment was only made about Cahill because he is only 15 goals away from beating Big Dunc's record as 'highest Premier League goalscorer' for us. That was Neville's logic.

Legends are what capture people's adulation at the time. There's no hard and fast rule as to what makes a legend.

Older people think Bob Latchford was a legend for us, and he probably was, but he didn't win anything with us either.

April 22, 2010, 03:25:54 AM
Reply #18

nomorechang

RIP
Tim Cahill Interview Setanta

Maybe not a legend ... but he's definitely a Blue ...  from head to toe
Once Everton has touched you nothing will be the same"
Alan Ball

" Notoriously shy and laconic off the field, Dean's quotes are sparse. He is reputed to have said to an over-enthusiastic marker 'I'm going for a pee. You coming?' "

April 22, 2010, 03:27:05 AM
Reply #19

Endless, Nameless

Tim Cahill Interview Setanta

Maybe not a legend ... but he's definitely a Blue ...  from head to toe

My thoughts after watching that video:

1.) Tim Cahill can't act.
2.) I love Tim Cahill.
Oh well, at least Baines is still ace.

April 22, 2010, 04:40:41 AM
Reply #20

Thom

Administrator
Love the start of that video.

April 22, 2010, 05:40:05 AM
Reply #21

Tony Clifton

Cult hero at best.  One of Moyes' best signings, no doubt.  Legend?  Not right now, no.  What the fuck is a legend nowadays anyway?  We're all cynical bastards.  Maybe if he's still popping up with important goals for us when he's 34, but if not, he'll probably just be the headless chickenfrom Oz who used to pop up with important goals for us as far as I'm concerned.

April 22, 2010, 05:56:48 AM
Reply #22

.Rimbo.

Arteta is a better player, but not as blue as Cahill.
I think he likes us and feels good here and there's no denying his profesionalism and commitment, but I think Everton is just a good workplace for him.  He doesn't bleed blue, he has no Everton tattoo, he never said he would never ever play for the shite, etc.

How do you know he's not as blue as Cahill? Just because he hasn't got a tattoo? Some lad I know, who hardly goes the game and just jumped on the Wembley bandwagon last year, got an Everton tattoo. I haven't got one. Does that make him more of a fan than me? Or more "blue" than me?

"You never know how long you are going to spend (at a Club) but what I can say is that I can see myself finishing my career at Everton ... I have been in other football Clubs and Im telling you this is a special one. People say we are a family we really are."
~ Mikel Arteta

April 22, 2010, 07:21:19 AM
Reply #23

efctaxi

Why don't folks allow players to finish their careers before worrying about whether they are legends or not. Lists don't make legends. Memories do. If your fondest memories of Everton include Arteta, or Cahill, when you look back upon your life as a fan, then you'll have your answer.

April 22, 2010, 07:23:47 AM
Reply #24

.Rimbo.

Why don't folks allow players to finish their careers before worrying about whether they are legends or not. Lists don't make legends. Memories do. If your fondest memories of Everton include Arteta, or Cahill, when you look back upon your life as a fan, then you'll have your answer.

I know mate, I'm just curious to know where people rank Arteta in relation to Cahill.

April 22, 2010, 07:25:32 AM
Reply #25

Flusky

These alledged legends, such as Big Dunc, how much time do you see them spending with fans?  How much time will Tim Cahill spend with Everton supporters in 10 - 15 years?

He may have an excuse mind you. He's a massive family man, and comes from a massively family orientated country (Samoa) so I wouldn't blame him if he retired and buggered off to Samoa for the rest of his days.

April 22, 2010, 07:33:32 AM
Reply #26

.Rimbo.

He may have an excuse mind you. He's a massive family man, and comes from a massively family orientated country (Samoa) so I wouldn't blame him if he retired and buggered off to Samoa for the rest of his days.

I can't see that happening to be honest. I think it's a claim you could lay more at the feet of Arteta than Cahill.

Plus, it's different these days. Players like Dean, Latchford etc. weren't global superstars like the players of today. No doubt the Australian MoTD, Radio stations, newspapers etc. will want the services of Tim Cahill when he's retired whereas back in the day there was not such a need for so many pundits in the media.

April 22, 2010, 04:10:10 PM
Reply #27

Bally

Administrator
but he did score 30 goals in a season when it hadn't been done in the top flight for several years

and in his six years at the club he scored over 100 goals

he also made the comment "Scoring for Everton is better than sex" - which kind of beats anything Cahill might have said

Bob was head and shoulders above his contemporaries in English football.

These alledged legends, such as Big Dunc, how much time do you see them spending with fans?  How much time will Tim Cahill spend with Everton supporters in 10 - 15 years?

Then think of Labby, Bally, Big Nev, Latch, Kev Rat, even Sharpy and Tony Cottee.  Humility is also a massive part of being a legend.

All that Si has mentioned are legends the one in bold for his comments on a NSNO night, my opinion of him changed from one extreme to the other that night, I changed from not really liking him to loving him, a honest and humble man who loved this club but will always be a hammer, and he put up with my drunken ramble to him , as did Mr Latchford lolol I told Mr Cottee on that night that I was never his greatest fan he asked why I told him he said fair enough not everyone is the same and understood why, but he was sound that night and I won't have a bad word said about him now. 
It's the roll I way

April 22, 2010, 08:04:49 PM
Reply #28

blue_aussie05

All that Si has mentioned are legends the one in bold for his comments on a NSNO night, my opinion of him changed from one extreme to the other that night, I changed from not really liking him to loving him, a honest and humble man who loved this club but will always be a hammer, and he put up with my drunken ramble to him , as did Mr Latchford lolol I told Mr Cottee on that night that I was never his greatest fan he asked why I told him he said fair enough not everyone is the same and understood why, but he was sound that night and I won't have a bad word said about him now. 

What did Cottee say that was so good that night?

April 22, 2010, 08:07:45 PM
Reply #29

blue_aussie05

But can you be considered an Everton legend if you've played 175 games for the club?

This is what I mean about the "modern day legend" in the Cahill thread. I think it uses a whole new metric now. In the olden days it was common for players to play 300 games for a club but now players move about on a hot tin roof.

It's hard to say.

What about Andy Gray. Don't know how many games he played for us exactly, but I'd say it was far less than that. And I'd deffo say he's an Everton legend.

I know he's a bit of a prick now, but back in the mid 80's he embodied Everton for the 18 months he was here.