November 19, 2017, 08:25:55 PM

Author Topic: If you think Cahill IS an Everton legend...  (Read 4512 times)

April 22, 2010, 08:10:22 PM
Reply #30

blue_aussie05

The thing is how would you define the term legend? I guess a player would have to meet the criteria consisting of 1) genuine quality 2) length of service to the club 3) Loyalty and interaction with the fans 4) to what extent has their presence made an overall positive impact to the team?

I would say this is spot on. And in my suggestion of Andy Gray, number 2 is the only thing that doesn't apply. But he had 3 and 4 in bucket loads and wasn't short of quality, either.

deCoubertin

April 22, 2010, 08:15:50 PM
Reply #31

Endless, Nameless

All this criteria for being a legend is embarrassing, frankly.

A club legend should be someone who meant a lot to the fans personally, whether they played once or 1000 times.
Oh well, at least Baines is still ace.

April 23, 2010, 02:07:00 AM
Reply #32

.Rimbo.

All this criteria for being a legend is embarrassing, frankly.

A club legend should be someone who meant a lot to the fans personally, whether they played once or 1000 times.

It's embarrassing? To put someone who played 90 minutes for us (or less) alongside people who gave 15 years of their lives to us or more. How's that embarrassing?

April 23, 2010, 02:17:03 AM
Reply #33

Endless, Nameless

It's embarrassing? To put someone who played 90 minutes for us (or less) alongside people who gave 15 years of their lives to us or more. How's that embarrassing?

No, you've misunderstood me (as usual Rimbo).

I mean, it's embarrassing, and nerdy, to break down criteria for legendary status. If an Everton player is a legend to you, you shouldn't need to explain it, you should just know it.

April 23, 2010, 03:09:42 AM
Reply #34

Scouse Ruletero

but he did score 30 goals in a season when it hadn't been done in the top flight for several years

and in his six years at the club he scored over 100 goals

he also made the comment "Scoring for Everton is better than sex" - which kind of beats anything Cahill might have said

Bob was head and shoulders above his contemporaries in English football.

These alledged legends, such as Big Dunc, how much time do you see them spending with fans?  How much time will Tim Cahill spend with Everton supporters in 10 - 15 years?

Then think of Labby, Bally, Big Nev, Latch, Kev Rat, even Sharpy and Tony Cottee.  Humility is also a massive part of being a legend.

Latchford was a great player in his time with us. The 30 goals in one season was great. I've read his book, I've met the man himself, I even had my book signed by him. He's a very nice, affable man. He is an Everton legend.

But this stuff about 'spending time with the fans', which somehow is amongst the criteria for being 'a legend'..... Until recent years, Mr Latchford lived abroad (he still does) and was not very visible to the fans. He deliberately distanced himself from the club, describing his footballing past as his 'other life' (something not dissimilar to Duncan Ferguson's behaviour nowadays). Things changed for Bob 5 years ago when he was persuaded to write his autobiography, and was gradually co-erced back into the Evertonian spotlight and family. But Bob was not highly visible in the 1990s for Evertonians. He stayed away for quite a long time, and hey, that was his choice, and it doesn't reflect badly on him in any way. But Si, if you're gonna come out with all this 'he spends time with the fans 10-15 years after his heyday (actually 30 now, which is even better)' stuff, let's not rewite history.

As for Tim Cahill, are you implying Tim Cahill doesn't have 'humilty'? I suggest you buy and watch that new Cahill DVD, 'The Unseen Journey', about his life story, family now and time at Everton, that may change your opinion.

Players very often don't become viewed as 'legends' until after they leave the club. The old syndrome of 'you don't know what you've got until it's gone' is at work. But when you look at the contributions of Cahill towards the Everton cause over the past 6 years..... with an unbiased eye......

He came as a bargain buy, which in this day and age, is very rare, especially at the top 6 level. He scored a memorable goal on his Everton debut, not unlike Cottee. (Re:Cottee - it's nice that you think so highly of him, but he is as debatable an 'Everton legend' as Cahill is; Cottee himself regards himself first and foremost as a West Ham fan, even if he does profess love for Everton. If the two clubs played each other, he'd want West Ham to win, and as far as I'm concerned, that doesn't put him in the same 'Everton legend' bracket as Labby, Bally, Big Nev, Latch, Kev Rat, and Sharpy). When Cahill scored against his former club, Millwall, in 2006, he chose not to celebrate, out of respect for his former team for giving him his big chance in the game. In 2006 he was the first Everton player in 18 years to be nominated for the Ballon d'Or award, the European sports writers player of the year award. He became the first Everton player since Dixie Dean in 1931 to score in three separate Merseyside derbies at Anfield. He's scored crucial goals for us on timeless occasions over the years. He's internationally respected.... he's starred at the World Cup - and didn't immediately leave Everton for pastures new.... he's like the David Beckham of Australian football. His exploits for the Australian national team have inspired a whole generation of Australian kids.

And Cahill also said:

"Iím not interested in other clubs. Opportunities may arise, but Iím lucky enough to have an agent who only cares about my wellbeing, being fit and playing for my club, which is perfect for me. Other managers say now that they wanted me, but Moyes was the one who took a chance on me. The manager and the club have made me what I am." (23/03/09)

"It is all about playing for the team and playing for each other. Wherever you are asked to play, you do it because it is an honour to play for this club. Playing up front on your own is quite difficult but I'd do anything for this team, and anything for the fans and the club." (16/12/08).

Oh and for the record,

He may have an excuse mind you. He's a massive family man, and comes from a massively family orientated country (Samoa) so I wouldn't blame him if he retired and buggered off to Samoa for the rest of his days.

He's not from Samoa. Watch the DVD. His mother is Samoan and his father is English, but he was brought up in Australia. He regards himself as Australian, which is why he challenged FIFA rules to be able to play for Australia in 2004, after representing Samoa as a 14 year old in one match. He is Australian with a Samoan heritage, but has a big house in Australia that he will retire to eventually.

Why don't folks allow players to finish their careers before worrying about whether they are legends or not. Lists don't make legends. Memories do. If your fondest memories of Everton include Arteta, or Cahill, when you look back upon your life as a fan, then you'll have your answer.

Couldn't agree more with. The key is 'memories', and if you're a kid growing up now, or even a non-cynical adult, the likes of Arteta and Cahill are your heroes now, and your likely future legends.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 03:17:09 AM by DixieSixty »

April 23, 2010, 04:12:39 AM
Reply #35

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
If legend status is given for length of post and thought into post than Dixie Sixty is a legend on NSNO. If it is post total that nsno legends are based on than we know who the contenders are.
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...

April 23, 2010, 04:13:26 AM
Reply #36

Endless, Nameless

If legend status is given for length of post and thought into post than Dixie Sixty is a legend on NSNO. If it is post total that nsno legends are based on than we know who the contenders are.

Quality>Quantity.

Good job I have both   ;)

Right?

April 23, 2010, 04:17:46 AM
Reply #37

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
I knew it would be 10 seconds before you replied to that.

And erm.. quality... I will defer...
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...

April 23, 2010, 04:20:04 AM
Reply #38

Endless, Nameless

I knew it would be 10 seconds before you replied to that.

And erm.. quality... I will defer...

In all seriousness I'm just the forum equivalent of hyperactive. I don't spend as much time on here as a good few people  *ahem* Blarg

I just post a lot.

April 23, 2010, 04:31:29 AM
Reply #39

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
By few you mean 1 other person. I am not knocking you though.
4816 posts is just crazy.

April 23, 2010, 04:45:26 AM
Reply #40

Flusky

He's not from Samoa. Watch the DVD. His mother is Samoan and his father is English, but he was brought up in Australia. He regards himself as Australian, which is why he challenged FIFA rules to be able to play for Australia in 2004, after representing Samoa as a 14 year old in one match. He is Australian with a Samoan heritage, but has a big house in Australia that he will retire to eventually.

If the DVD is the same as the documentary in Australia, I have seen it. He says several times he goes back to Samoa to see everyone. He has a Samoan sleeve tattoo. I wouldn't bet against him retiring to there.

April 23, 2010, 04:55:11 AM
Reply #41

Scouse Ruletero

If the DVD is the same as the documentary in Australia, I have seen it. He says several times he goes back to Samoa to see everyone. He has a Samoan sleeve tattoo. I wouldn't bet against him retiring to there.

It is mate. He had the tattoo to honour his Samoa grandmother. He does have relatives in Samoa, but I doubt he'd actually go and live there. His wife is Australian, a lot of his life is there.

By the way, my above post turned into something of an essay in hindsight. Sorry about that, it wasn't intentional to be so lengthy. Just felt quite strongly about the subject, and particularly about Cahill. Yes, I'm a fan of him, as you can gather.

I would recommend that Cahill DVD to every Blue though, it really is great.

April 23, 2010, 04:56:13 AM
Reply #42

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
It is mate. He had the tattoo to honour his Samoa grandmother. He does have relatives in Samoa, but I doubt he'd actually go and live there. His wife is Australian, a lot of his life is there.

By the way, my above post turned into something of an essay in hindsight. Sorry about that, it wasn't intentional to be so lengthy. Just felt quite strongly about the subject, and particularly about Cahill. Yes, I'm a fan of him, as you can gather.

I would recommend that Cahill DVD to every Blue though, it really is great.

Stalker alert!!!

April 23, 2010, 08:15:02 AM
Reply #43

.Rimbo.

No, you've misunderstood me (as usual Rimbo).

I mean, it's embarrassing, and nerdy, to break down criteria for legendary status. If an Everton player is a legend to you, you shouldn't need to explain it, you should just know it.

I don't know what the pissy "as usual Rimbo" comment was for to be honest. Maybe you should explain your argument better in future then as opposed to writing any old toss down and clicking "post" to get a +1 on your post count. Ever thought of that?