November 23, 2017, 02:27:06 AM

Author Topic: "lets see where we are after 10 games"  (Read 3563 times)

November 05, 2012, 05:31:49 AM
Reply #30

Shogun

Administrator
We haven't had much luck this season so hopefully we are due soon in terms of referee decisions and hitting the woodwork.
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

deCoubertin

November 05, 2012, 06:03:06 AM
Reply #31

The Analog Kid

We haven't had much luck this season so hopefully we are due soon in terms of referee decisions and hitting the woodwork.

Is that a quote taken from the book of Brendan Rodgers?

November 05, 2012, 06:05:52 AM
Reply #32

Shogun

Administrator
Is that a quote taken from the book of Brendan Rodgers?
Am I wrong?

November 05, 2012, 08:03:12 AM
Reply #33

Toddacelli

For me now it could be crucial how we end this run of draws:

End the run of draws with a win = we've turned the corner, stayed unbeaten, it's going our way again!    :woohoo:

End the run of draws with a loss = slowly slipping down, poor points return, it's all turning to shit!    :titanic:

Psychologically for the team I think it's really important that the next result that isn't a draw is a win. We need one - and soon. If we keep playing well and not getting the result, some players will lose some faith. Football these days at the highest level is such a confidence thing especailly teams like ours who have a few 'new' players settling in.

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

November 05, 2012, 09:11:03 AM
Reply #34

Verm

NSNO Subscriber

Do you not call the ridiculous offside call last weekend lucky?
"..whenever i see an everton shirt i think there goes an everton fan. whenever i see a liverpool shirt i think there's someone wearing a liverpool shirt.."

November 05, 2012, 09:21:04 AM
Reply #35

Shogun

Administrator
By the player who shouldn't have been on the pitch, no.

November 05, 2012, 10:00:28 AM
Reply #36

Toddacelli

Plus the soft free-kick...

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

November 05, 2012, 04:04:31 PM
Reply #37

dangermouse

The thing I think we fall short on is quality... when your pushing for results every mistake comes back to bite you in the ass... Thats why the teams at the top are at the top... their defensive play is generally faultless...

We need to cut out the BIG mistakes that are costing us points....

But thats just me being picky & Im sure DM would say exactly the same thing...  Im loving the way we are playing at the moment and I think we are on the verge of something special.....
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 04:24:26 PM by dangermouse »
Everton Programmes Books & DVD's

http://www.facebook.com/evertonprogrammes

November 05, 2012, 04:18:23 PM
Reply #38

dlock78

There have been a few times we haven't had the luck (Newcastle game, Wigan 1st goal offside etc) but we have also suffered badly from wasteful finishing.

I know the stats say we have had a ridiculous amount of shots at goal this season (wasnt it the highest in europe at one point?) but that can actually be turned into a negative stat. What is our goals to shot ratio in that case? it can't be that impressive.

Irrespective of that, I am loving watching us this season. There is always going to be goals in our games, and for once, when we fall behind, we actually know that we will get back into it.

If we could just tighten up at the back for a little while, then the points will start adding up.
Born not manufactured

November 05, 2012, 04:59:47 PM
Reply #39

On Timmy Cahills Head

You sound like one of them now.  What about the mistake the ref made in not giving the foul on Jagielka, which was a far bigger infringement then what he gave the original foul for

November 05, 2012, 07:33:23 PM
Reply #40

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Agree with all of this,sick of like yesterday Fulham 3 shots on target 2 fuckin goals scenario,happening more and more with Howard.

That's not exclusively down to Howard though is it.

If a side has 10 shots from outside the box and the opposition has 2 from in the 6 yard box who would you expect to score more?

Anyway...

Overall I think that we can say that the start has been good.

A great start would have seen us with probably 6 more points but as has been said some fundamentals are letting us down; namely finishing and basic defensive mistakes.

It's still too early to say whether they're issues that are inherent with the players (individually and as a mix of styles) or whether they're something that we can improve on as the season progresses.

Looking at the starting line-up on Saturday we only had 3 defensive players in the team. That would, you'd think contribute to conceding 2 goals; however the ways that we let them in weren't linked to being short on defensive numbers.

We were able to control the game through playing it our own way, no small feat against a strong home team. Our possession was such that the lack of defensive players was largely irrelevant as they spent most of the time attacking. That should be a good sign for the rest of the season and I can see us being able to control a lot of games.

This immediately leads onto the finishing aspect.

Will this improve? I'm far from certain on this point. There's a lot of talk about Jelavic not being quite there this season. This is true when compared to last year. The lack of prolonged evidence however doesn't allow us to say that he's either a) having a dip in form or b) this is actually his level.

Although if the answer is b) then it's still not disastrous as he's got 4 in 9 appearances in the league. Even taking into account a couple of injuries/suspensions and you're still looking at 15-17 league goals for the season. Not to be sniffed at.

It's behind Jelavic that the issue of goals is the worry, long term.

Felli is doing well; he showed in his first season that he can finish different types of chances and he also has some reasonable movements in the box. However he doesn't have the natural instict that's bound to get you loads of goals; unlike Jelavic he does have some games where he doesn't have any real (even half) chances. If Felli gets to 15 he's had an outstanding season.

Then if we consider Pienaar and Ossie. Valuable players (to a debatable level, obviously!) but not ones that you could stake your life on them scoring. Their shooting is wildly inconsistent; Pienaar especially frustrates in this regard as the rest of his technique is normally so reliable.

You can't place any real reliance on these two to get a good number (pushing double figures) of league goals in the season.

Then we come to Mirallas. He's the big unknown for us and consequently, probably the most pivotal player for the season.

He's playing well so far; mainly in patches but when he's on it he looks like a fantastic player.

He's come with this record in Greece and I think he's been brought in with goals in mind (especially with Pienaar as the other wide man) rather than for his set up play (as useful as that can be).

He's only scored 1 so far but he's not been afraid to shoot. This obviously leaves the question of whether he's wasteful/not that good at shooting or whether the goals are about to start flowing. We obviously won't know this until the end of the season.

I think both he and Jelavic will improve their current ratios and that Felli will drop off slightly; whether that's enough will probably depend on how we improve defensively.

This is more of a clear issue.

The defenders have all been with us for long enough for us to know their strengths and weakness. We know that Distin is prone to panic every now and then; we know that Heitinga is small and slow etc etc

The only real change we can make is to increase the protection in front of them. Gibson back will help but what about the other position?

I can't see an argument for playing either Neville or Heitinga ahead of Ossie; they're not good enough at what they do defensively there to outweigh any negatives we may have from having Ossie as one of our most defensive players. The loss with respect to controlling the game going forward is too great.

They're certainly not good enough to consider playing both of them as a dual shield!

Therefore we're down to individual errors. A team is always likely to make some; however we seem to be making ones in every game at present. I'd expect that to drop as the season goes on but it's hard to tell whether the team has always made these errors but that the greater number of defensive players has helped to cover them. We're probably not going to start playing 2 (or 3) more defensive players so it's hard to say.

Bearing that in mind I couldn't confidently predict that we're suddenly going to start keeping clean sheet after clean sheet. Add that to the uncertainty over the increas in % of chances created and you're left thinking that we're probably going to carry on at around the same ratio of points that we have now (65 I think someone said). The season will then boil down to whether it's a slightly exceptional one where there are enough teams in the mix for 4th that the total required for finishing there is lower than it normally is.

If someone (probably Arsenal) gets their act together then I could see the requirement being 70 points and above which obviously would make things tough.

Of course if we do remedy our issues then there's a good chance that that team would be us.

Either way, the current problems are far more pleasing to debate than they were at this time last season so the first 10 games have to be adjudged favourably in that light!

November 05, 2012, 07:52:06 PM
Reply #41

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
That's not exclusively down to Howard though is it.

If a side has 10 shots from outside the box and the opposition has 2 from in the 6 yard box who would you expect to score more?

Anyway...

Overall I think that we can say that the start has been good.

A great start would have seen us with probably 6 more points but as has been said some fundamentals are letting us down; namely finishing and basic defensive mistakes.

It's still too early to say whether they're issues that are inherent with the players (individually and as a mix of styles) or whether they're something that we can improve on as the season progresses.

Looking at the starting line-up on Saturday we only had 3 defensive players in the team. That would, you'd think contribute to conceding 2 goals; however the ways that we let them in weren't linked to being short on defensive numbers.

We were able to control the game through playing it our own way, no small feat against a strong home team. Our possession was such that the lack of defensive players was largely irrelevant as they spent most of the time attacking. That should be a good sign for the rest of the season and I can see us being able to control a lot of games.

This immediately leads onto the finishing aspect.

Will this improve? I'm far from certain on this point. There's a lot of talk about Jelavic not being quite there this season. This is true when compared to last year. The lack of prolonged evidence however doesn't allow us to say that he's either a) having a dip in form or b) this is actually his level.

Although if the answer is b) then it's still not disastrous as he's got 4 in 9 appearances in the league. Even taking into account a couple of injuries/suspensions and you're still looking at 15-17 league goals for the season. Not to be sniffed at.

It's behind Jelavic that the issue of goals is the worry, long term.

Felli is doing well; he showed in his first season that he can finish different types of chances and he also has some reasonable movements in the box. However he doesn't have the natural instict that's bound to get you loads of goals; unlike Jelavic he does have some games where he doesn't have any real (even half) chances. If Felli gets to 15 he's had an outstanding season.

Then if we consider Pienaar and Ossie. Valuable players (to a debatable level, obviously!) but not ones that you could stake your life on them scoring. Their shooting is wildly inconsistent; Pienaar especially frustrates in this regard as the rest of his technique is normally so reliable.

You can't place any real reliance on these two to get a good number (pushing double figures) of league goals in the season.

Then we come to Mirallas. He's the big unknown for us and consequently, probably the most pivotal player for the season.

He's playing well so far; mainly in patches but when he's on it he looks like a fantastic player.

He's come with this record in Greece and I think he's been brought in with goals in mind (especially with Pienaar as the other wide man) rather than for his set up play (as useful as that can be).

He's only scored 1 so far but he's not been afraid to shoot. This obviously leaves the question of whether he's wasteful/not that good at shooting or whether the goals are about to start flowing. We obviously won't know this until the end of the season.

I think both he and Jelavic will improve their current ratios and that Felli will drop off slightly; whether that's enough will probably depend on how we improve defensively.

This is more of a clear issue.

The defenders have all been with us for long enough for us to know their strengths and weakness. We know that Distin is prone to panic every now and then; we know that Heitinga is small and slow etc etc

The only real change we can make is to increase the protection in front of them. Gibson back will help but what about the other position?

I can't see an argument for playing either Neville or Heitinga ahead of Ossie; they're not good enough at what they do defensively there to outweigh any negatives we may have from having Ossie as one of our most defensive players. The loss with respect to controlling the game going forward is too great.

They're certainly not good enough to consider playing both of them as a dual shield!

Therefore we're down to individual errors. A team is always likely to make some; however we seem to be making ones in every game at present. I'd expect that to drop as the season goes on but it's hard to tell whether the team has always made these errors but that the greater number of defensive players has helped to cover them. We're probably not going to start playing 2 (or 3) more defensive players so it's hard to say.

Bearing that in mind I couldn't confidently predict that we're suddenly going to start keeping clean sheet after clean sheet. Add that to the uncertainty over the increas in % of chances created and you're left thinking that we're probably going to carry on at around the same ratio of points that we have now (65 I think someone said). The season will then boil down to whether it's a slightly exceptional one where there are enough teams in the mix for 4th that the total required for finishing there is lower than it normally is.

If someone (probably Arsenal) gets their act together then I could see the requirement being 70 points and above which obviously would make things tough.

Of course if we do remedy our issues then there's a good chance that that team would be us.

Either way, the current problems are far more pleasing to debate than they were at this time last season so the first 10 games have to be adjudged favourably in that light!

Well said as always

Sent via carrier pigeon

Simply simply lovely

November 09, 2012, 02:30:54 PM
Reply #42

EFCdanger

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20246366

A few interesting facts in here. The fact that the top 4 after 10 games stay there until may 68% of the time is positive but this season it seems more open. Encouraging stats though.
Danger!

November 09, 2012, 02:49:21 PM
Reply #43

Leslie Chow

We are showing ourselves as not experienced enough for the top four.

The last two or three games on paper and at times we should have closed out.

But here we are dropping three points into one and it shows a lack of killer instinct and experience.

The Fulham game said it all. Minutes away and we fucked it up.