November 22, 2017, 05:24:42 AM

Author Topic: 18 games and 4th - historically, can we be excited?  (Read 2551 times)

December 11, 2012, 11:03:09 PM
Reply #15

NomadskiEFC

NSNO Subscriber
Could you find a stat to show were we would be if the league started in January?

Cheers  :)

Without looking at stats I would say last 3 years we must have hit 3rd or 4th every year from Jan onwards?
Once A Blue NEVER a Red

deCoubertin

December 11, 2012, 11:10:25 PM
Reply #16

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Without looking at stats I would say last 3 years we must have hit 3rd or 4th every year from Jan onwards?

Yeah but that's with our poor starts, I want to see where we would be with a good start. So errrrr yeah find me the fucking table  :)

December 11, 2012, 11:17:31 PM
Reply #17

NomadskiEFC

NSNO Subscriber
Yeah but that's with our poor starts, I want to see where we would be with a good start. So errrrr yeah find me the fucking table  :)

My guess takes no notice of good start or bad starts (ie Aug - Dec) only if the season ran from Jan to May.  I would say we were top 4 last 3 years.

As for 2012 only (ie Jan - Present) this is it...

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/09/24/3398375/manchester-united-top-everton-third-liverpool-in-the
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 11:18:14 PM by NomadskiEFC »
Once A Blue NEVER a Red

December 11, 2012, 11:19:25 PM
Reply #18

EFCdanger

Somehow ended up looking at Phil McNulty's pre-season predictions. Its surprising how many people thought our team was a load of average squad players with only Jelavic providing quality. Lots of comments predicting 8/9th. I don't think they'd predict that now, just shows what a good start and media attention can do! Top 4 is achievable, but very difficult. More likely would be Europa League which is still a step up.
Danger!

December 11, 2012, 11:27:40 PM
Reply #19

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
My guess takes no notice of good start or bad starts (ie Aug - Dec) only if the season ran from Jan to May.  I would say we were top 4 last 3 years.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/09/24/3398375/manchester-united-top-everton-third-liverpool-in-the

Two team league, who'd have thought it aye

December 11, 2012, 11:28:37 PM
Reply #20

sharpattack

My guess takes no notice of good start or bad starts (ie Aug - Dec) only if the season ran from Jan to May.  I would say we were top 4 last 3 years.

How's that table right, Reading beat us?
NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
The Board might forget, we don't

December 12, 2012, 12:00:08 AM
Reply #21

nomorechang

RIP

And West Ham, Soton and Reading have played more than 5 games in the Prem this year
Once Everton has touched you nothing will be the same"
Alan Ball

" Notoriously shy and laconic off the field, Dean's quotes are sparse. He is reputed to have said to an over-enthusiastic marker 'I'm going for a pee. You coming?' "

December 12, 2012, 12:08:09 AM
Reply #22

Gash

Global Moderator
Season 09/10 we were 3rd from Jan 1st to the end of the season, 10/11 we were 6th and 11/12 we were 3rd.

December 12, 2012, 12:10:19 AM
Reply #23

Gash

Global Moderator

That table's from the 24th of September.

December 12, 2012, 12:48:19 AM
Reply #24

Mayor Farnum

Are we assuming we are going to have a strong finish to the season?

May be a little tougher this year if the players actually have something to play for and the crowd is groaning at every miss-placed pass.

December 12, 2012, 01:32:57 AM
Reply #25

blueski

Are we assuming we are going to have a strong finish to the season?

May be a little tougher this year if the players actually have something to play for and the crowd is groaning at every miss-placed pass.

I don't know if the crowd will play into it but this thought that we've always been good from January on is about as rock solid as saying we always get off to a poor start; this season has proven it doesn't have to happen the way it has in the past

we're a long way from having a shout at 4th; we'll have a better idea on 1 February when we know what if any changes to our team are

Nil Satis

December 12, 2012, 06:23:12 AM
Reply #26

blackwatch78efc

the way i look at it is this,

i'm annoyed right now we are not in the title chase

i think if we avoid too many injuries i personnally would be unhappy with anything less than fourth

but saying that its a thin squad and we shoot ourselves in the foot alot.

anything less that top 6 tho and we are actually underachieving (yep thats how i see it).

"we've got this far, i suppose we might as well win it" Big Joe 1995

December 12, 2012, 01:32:16 PM
Reply #27

christiffa25

In previous seasons there's been no pressure going into second half of the season which there will be this season. I still think a lot depends on what we can do in January. 2 or 3 quality additions could well make all the difference.

The other thing is there is real compitition for that 4th spot this year. Obviously the 2 Manchester clubs will be fighting it out for the title. Chelsea still IMO will comftabley end up taking 3rd.

Then for 4th....Everton, Spurs, L'pool, Arsenal stand real chances and are all capable, especially if they have positive transfer windows. Also the decent west brom, Newcastle and west ham have outside chances of being very good teams 2nd half of season.

December 12, 2012, 03:30:32 PM
Reply #28

Toddacelli

I am excited, but I'm not confident we will finish in top 4 as we lack two things:

1) Quality in depth. Is our fully fit 1st XI good enough to challenge for 3rd/4th? Yes in my opinion. But it's a squad game these days.

2) Killer instinct. We are not ruthless enough to kill games off when we get the chance. Until we develop a far more ruthless streak than we have at the moment, teams are always in with a chance against us if there's still only one (or poss two) goals in it.

If we had more quality on the bench and could kill games off comfortably, we would be a great shout for 3rd/4th. But we don't, so...

Bring Back The Stracq!

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

December 12, 2012, 04:09:36 PM
Reply #29

steve81

that result is a joke when you consider how shit reading have been since might cost us