August 19, 2019, 07:10:24 PM

Author Topic: The ITK Thread: January Edition (Back With a Vengeance!)  (Read 326670 times)

December 31, 2012, 11:55:02 PM
Read 326670 times

Outworlder47

Not exactly ITK, but:

Sky Bet ‏@SkyBet

@xTomH At present, Charlie Austin is 6/4 to join Everton in January, the shortest odds of any player to Everton: http://sky.me/WWly1v

(@xTomH asked what players might be worth a punt to bet on joining Everton.)

January 04, 2013, 11:46:39 PM
Reply #1

Outworlder47

Fourth Official ‏@FourthOfficial_

Man City are happy to let Joleon Lescott go out on loan, providing they can get another CB in, player prefers move to Everton over Villa

January 05, 2013, 05:26:14 AM
Reply #2

Outworlder47

#EFC supporters may wish to read up on Wissam Ben Yedder. That's from 'ze horzes mouth', well Meïssa N'diaye anyway

Some BPL agent on twitter coming out with this

Wouldn't be a terrible signing at all. He's certainly been in form with Toulouse so far this season. Not a senior international, but he's only 22. My only concern would be maturity, as he was one of the France U21s fined for (I think) breaking curfew recently. He does seem to have a goal in him, though, and would offer a more pacey option than our other current strikers.

Mëissa N'Diaye is his agent, so if that is truly the source of the information, there is likely something to this one.

January 05, 2013, 06:32:23 AM
Reply #3

Outworlder47

Another striker linked: 21 year old Argentine, Facundo "Chucky" Ferreyra.http://m.talksport.co.uk/magazine/features/130104/striker-bolster-tottenhams-front-line-188603] [url]http://m.talksport.co.uk/magazine/features/130104/striker-bolster-tottenhams-front-line-188603 [/url]

Well in form, with 13 in 15 this season for Velez Sarsfeld, including 11 in his last 7 (scored in 6 of the 7). Would probably cost a few million pounds, though.

January 05, 2013, 09:15:42 PM
Reply #4

Outworlder47

Terry Antonis?

Sent from Überwald via the clacks

Could be, I suppose, with all the chatterings over the years about him. He was due to be or of contract this summer, but just signed a2 year extension before Christmas.  Only 18, and apparently is of Greek descent so a work permit might not be necessary. Hasn't really featured much at all this season, though.

The one player from the A-League right now that stands out to me is New Zealand winger Marco Rojas. 10 goals and 5 assists in 14 games for Melbourne Victory. Plays primarily on the left, though, so not a "need" position at this point. He's got 13 full caps.

January 07, 2013, 09:32:01 PM
Reply #5

Outworlder47

you can pull birds through facebook, why wouldnt u be able to get a legit transfer rumour through it?!

Heitinga out to Ajax for 3mil, Forren in and Vadis on loan is what I'm filtering out of the rumours that I believe

Yep. Basically seeing Heitinga and Forren as a wash fee-wise, with a bit of savings on wages. Gueye may be heading back to France as well, which would free up a bit more cash for another attacker (Ben Yedder or the like).

January 08, 2013, 12:11:27 AM
Reply #6

Outworlder47

Not happy with this unless Lescott also joins us. Then this is a good deal.

Lescott won't agree to come unless he's guaranteed first-choice. That won't happen unless Distin moves on--Harry's been sniffing, apparently. I don't think replacing 2/3 of your CBs in one January window is a great idea. Keep the Jagielka/Distin partnership, and Forren is supposedly good enough to fill in if needed. Would much rather spend the money on another new player, rather than contributing to the wages of one we likely can't sign long term anyway.

January 09, 2013, 03:59:51 AM
Reply #7

Outworlder47

Toure is going to the African nations isn't he? And kompany has suffered injuries

Yes, both Toure's are going to AFCON. That leaves Kompany, Nastasic, and Lescott (plus an out-of-position Richards). If Kompany is injured, I can see why Boyata was recalled.

January 09, 2013, 10:53:24 PM
Reply #8

Outworlder47

A couple new names:

Virgil Van Dijk, Dutch U-21 centre-half playing for Groningen.. Tall lad at 6'4", Youtube suggests he's got a decent right foot from distance/set pieces. 5 goals and 4 assists in 43 league appearances is a pretty decent return for his position. Other than that, I know nothing about him other than Sky suggests we're interested as a potential Heitinga replacement. Maybe if the Forren deal falls through?

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12691/8387543/Everton-said-to-be-keen-on-Groningen-defender-Virgil-van-Dijk

And from Twitter, Dortmund winger Kevin Großkreutz. Can't imagine that there's anything to this, although he's out of contract in 18 months' time and a bit out of form, with only 1 goal so far this season after 8 in each of the past two. Add that to the fact that he plays mostly on the left where we have Pienaar (and Oviedo), and I can't see this being anything significant.

BackPage. ‏@BackPage

Dortmund winger Kevin Grosskreutz is being offered to Premier League clubs such as Everton, Liverpool & Manchester United. #EFC #LFC #MUFC

January 10, 2013, 08:21:54 AM
Reply #9

Outworlder47

Lets face it it's highly unlikely. But we can dream.

Would love Welbeck, but only if we have an option to buy. Which I doubt United would do.

January 11, 2013, 08:18:02 PM
Reply #10

Outworlder47

To the bloke a few pages back talking about Rojas from the A-League his contract finishes next saturday (thats from an ITK source) he could make EPL standard but i doubt it, imo the better prospect in the A-league and who has been attracting attention from Reading and Celtic is Rogic, who is a playmaker who plays behind the striker (im pretty sure) and is 6 foot 2 as well,

Knew Rojas was out of contract at the end of the season (which is March 31), but didn't think it was that soon. Rogic looks like a pretty good player as well, and would serve a more immediate need here--an attacking midfield playmaker, whereas Rojas is a winger. Rogic's size better suits him to our style, as well. Apparently Fulham have jumped in the hunt, and for only £400k he may be worth going for.

January 14, 2013, 09:27:25 PM
Reply #11

Outworlder47

Need an American poster to enlighten us.

Short answer: No, I don't think he could contribute anything meaningful to the team right now.

Long answer: The USMNT, and more specifically the press who reports on them, is dreadfully guilty of overhyping our youngsters. We did it with Freddy Adu and we did it with Jozy Altidore, and we're trying to do it again with Juan Agudelo. They show some promise before they turn 18, get a call-up to the senior side because we have no options in attack outside of Donovan and Dempsey, and do well in a cameo. They move from the US, experience what is likely a sort of culture shock, and are dreadful for several years. Adu may finally be finding his feet again back in the US (now that he's likely more mature at 23), while Altidore's settled and found a good bit of form at Alkmaar (and is also now 23). Even though Agudelo's got 16 caps, he isn't ready for the Premier League. He's got the size (6'1"), though he hasn't struck me as the paciest of players--though he isn't slow, either. He's got a better work rate on the occasions I've seen him than Altidore did at the same age, but he has much less in terms of finished product. Agudelo struggled this season following his trade from New York to Chivas, suggesting perhaps he may have issues settling in a new environment, or he's going through a lull after so much senior football (and the accompanying hype) at such a young age.

Celtic may be his level, or it may not. If he were to come to Everton, I'd support him like I do any of our players, but I don't think he'd do much for at least a couple of years. I'd put him behind Vellios in terms of current ability at the Premier League level. In my opinion, he'd be another Anichebe--frustrating for several years before finally starting to unlock his potential (or so we hope with Victor). He could probably do decently well at Celtic, as they're quite obviously the best team in their league and could bring him along with very little pressure to perform; particularly if they lose Hooper in this window, they'd have a striker gap to plug.

We're challenging for a European spot. While another striker would be nice, I don't think Agudelo is that striker. Altidore could very well be, but he's well out of our price range.

January 14, 2013, 10:30:07 PM
Reply #12

Outworlder47

Fuck me !!

A sensible and informative post that I actually enjoyed reading !!

I did not see that coming.

Cheers mate.  :cheers:

Much appreciated!  :D

A couple more things:
He's got bags of potential, and at 20 has plenty of time to get there. If by some chance we were to sign him, I'd expect him to stay the rest of the season, get a couple of 5-10 minutes cameos after our European fate (either in or out) has been decided, and spend next season on loan in the Championship. I don't think he's ready to contribute meaningfully to any Premier League side yet.

Style-wise, I'd probably compare him to Danny Welbeck, though Welbeck is a couple of years older and has the advantage of being raised in English football.

A transfer fee of $2M USD has been bandied about, with his previous club (NY Red Bulls) due a portion of it. Somewhere in the region of £1.25M, though somewhere near half of that could be put into performance clauses.

Wages aren't an issue at all. MLS players are paid absolute garbage in comparison to both their European counterparts and U.S. athletes in other spectator sports. The average MLS salary would be equivalent to about £75k per year, and that's with the likes of Beckham's $6.5+M/year factored in. Agudelo's earning roughly £900-1000/week, based on what information I can find.

January 15, 2013, 02:16:41 AM
Reply #13

Outworlder47

We've been linked to multiple defenders in this window--Forren, van Dijk, Amorebieta, and probably others that I'm forgetting. Obviously if one deal falls through, there are enough targets to be able to bring someone in, should that be the plan.

January 16, 2013, 10:02:22 AM
Reply #14

Outworlder47

Was never really linked to us, but since his name came up in this thread, the Australian lad Tom Rogic looks to be off to Celtic for around £450k.