November 25, 2017, 11:54:48 AM

Author Topic: Oldham v Everton  (Read 27746 times)

February 11, 2013, 08:05:11 AM
Read 27746 times

Shogun

Administrator

Oldham Athletic v Everton FC
Boundary Park (Capacity: 10,638)
Saturday 16th February
18:00 UK time (Live on ITV1)
FA Cup 5th Round

Everton's last five games:
DWWDL

Southampton 0-0 Everton
Bolton 1-2 Everton - FA Cup (Pienaar, Heitinga)
Everton 2-1 West Brom (Baines x2)
Everton 3-3 Aston Villa (Anichebe, Fellaini x2)
Manchester United 2-0 Everton
6th in Premier league - 42 points

Oldham's last five games:
LLWLW

Coventry 2-1 Oldham (Smith)
Notts County 1-0 Oldham
Oldham 3-1 Liverpool - FA Cup (Smith x2, Wabara)
Walsall 3-1 Oldham (Barnard)
Oldham 3-1 MK Dons (Barnard, Mvoto, Iwelumo)
21st in league One - 30 points

Preview

Saturdays FA Cup tie will mark the 41st meeting between the sides. Neither team has the upper hand in terms of previous results with both having 14 wins to their name whilst the other 12 matches ended all square. The largest margin of victory came back in 1908 when Everton triumphed 6-1 in the 2nd round replay of the FA Cup. The most goals recorded in this match came in 1930, Everton coming out on top again in a 6-4 victory in the old Division 2 (2nd tier of English football).

Its been a long time since Everton's last win at Boundary Park which came on the 11/09/1993 in a 1-0 victory with Tony Cottee the goal scorer on the day coming in Oldham's last season in the premier league. The last meeting between the sides came in 2008 which was the first time the sides had faced each other in 14 years. Oldham pulled off a shock victory at Goodison Park as Gary McDonald knocked Everton out of the FA Cup at the third round with a 1-0 win.

Everton have scored 62 goals against Oldham whilst the latter have scored 58 goals against the toffees totalling to 120 goals in the 40 matches between the sides. An exact average of 3 goals a game.

Oldham

Prior to departing company with manager Paul Dickov before this weekends set of fixtures, Oldham were in shocking league form which has saw them plummet to the relegation zone in League One with their last win coming on the 8/12/12 (8 defeats and 1 draw since that victory) and even an FA Cup victory over Liverpool wouldn't prevent Dickov from resigning. Tony Philliskirk took over as Caretaker manager and inevitably Oldham earned their first league win of the new year over MK Dons on Saturday.

Former Everton player Jose Baxter currently plays for the league One outfit following his refusal to sign a new contract with Everton during the summer. The move has been a success so far with a lot of Oldham's fans citing that the youngster is the reason they're not worse off in the league. Baxter is currently top scorer for the latics with 11 goals (9 in League One) and 6 assists (4 in League One) this season.

Oldham are the 4th lowest scorers in League One and have conceded the 7th highest amount of goals.

Everton

The FA Cup may be a welcome distraction for the toffees this weekend as league form has dipped picking up 6 points out of a possible 15 in their last 5 PL matches. A leaky defence costing the blues over the past few games whilst David Moyes struggles to find a balance between defence and attack.

A trip to Old Trafford on Sunday afternoon capped of an awful weekend in which close rivals Arsenal, Tottenham and Chelsea all picked up maximum points, whereas Everton failed to pick up anything in a 2-0 defeat to the champions elect. Despite dominating periods of the game particularly in the first half, Everton were toothless in attack and struggled to carve out any clear cut opportunities except for an Osman 20 yard shot and an effort from similar range by substitute Nikicia Jelavic in the second half. John Heitinga was put into the team as Distin fell ill in the warm up, however the Dutchman failed to prove his doubters wrong with yet another costly error.

Injury News and Suspensions

Oldham:
No information

Everton:

Seamus Coleman - Hip/Thigh injury - 23/02/13
Tony Hibbert - Calf/Shin injury - No return date
Victor Anichebe - Calf/Shin injury - No return date
Sylvain Distin - Illness - No return date

:cheers:
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 08:24:26 AM by Shogun »
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

February 11, 2013, 08:30:11 AM
Reply #1

Thornton_19

Strongest team. Comfortable win.

February 11, 2013, 12:47:38 PM
Reply #2

christiffa25

Only a professional performance against Oldham then a kind home draw away from another day out at wembley!

Avoid arsenal, utd and city till the final and we could have a real good chance this year!

February 11, 2013, 01:19:17 PM
Reply #3

The Analog Kid

Huddersfield/Leicester v Wigan
Luton v Milwall
MK Dons v Barnsley......

any of those please!*

*should we progress on Saturday.

February 11, 2013, 02:13:25 PM
Reply #4

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Shit performance two one win

Simply simply lovely

February 11, 2013, 02:14:52 PM
Reply #5

Sir Stealth

NSNO Subscriber
Only a professional performance against Oldham then a kind home draw away from another day out at wembley!

Avoid arsenal, utd and city till the final and we could have a real good chance this year!

agree with this.

This wont be pretty. Lets just battle through and get the win in any shape or form

Would love to win the FA Cup
You think Lou Bega knocked it out of the park with Mambo number 1?!No but he kept at it!

February 11, 2013, 02:39:47 PM
Reply #6

sharpattack

Shit performance two one win
I've a feeling you could be right
NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
The Board might forget, we don't

February 11, 2013, 03:30:24 PM
Reply #7

toffee_scot

Think we'll field our strongest team and win 2-1.

February 11, 2013, 04:35:01 PM
Reply #8

NomadskiEFC

NSNO Subscriber
I don't care how we play, how we win, by how much or who scores, just so long as we win.

I need a massive pickup after our recent form, disheartened at the moment.
Once A Blue NEVER a Red

February 11, 2013, 05:07:52 PM
Reply #9

blob

shit performance, 1-1 and nail-biting replay

February 11, 2013, 05:09:32 PM
Reply #10

Gary Iceman

3-1 osman.
Alan Harper: "I made my debut at Goodison against Stoke and was standing in the tunnel waiting to go onto the pitch. Z cars started playing on the PA and I heard the crowd roar. If I could bottle a moment and save it forever, then that would be it.

February 11, 2013, 05:12:26 PM
Reply #11

steve81

I don't care how we play, how we win, by how much or who scores, just so long as we win.

I need a massive pickup after our recent form, disheartened at the moment.
this need a lift plus whats happened to our sexy football early season we have reverted back to negative crab hoof football

February 11, 2013, 05:46:29 PM
Reply #12

Alanvideo

Like to see Duffy and Ovideo and maybe even Stones get a start. Can't be any worse than Neville ,Heitinga and Naismith 
We are special ,we are Everton.

February 11, 2013, 05:53:14 PM
Reply #13

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
Yep shit performance but we do enough, jelavic to start and score

Sent from Four Ecks, running away from with Rincewind.

February 11, 2013, 06:05:28 PM
Reply #14

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Like to see Duffy and Ovideo and maybe even Stones get a start. Can't be any worse than Neville ,Heitinga and Naismith 

Start with 12 men? I like your thinking

Simply simply lovely