November 25, 2017, 04:29:05 AM

Author Topic: 1966 World Cup  (Read 1587 times)

February 13, 2013, 02:22:21 AM
Read 1587 times

Major Clanger

I may or may not have told you this but I'm editing a Hungarian sports blog and currently I'm writing a rather lengthy (but hopefully interesting) article on the history of Goodison Park, on account of our team playing there (and beating Brazil) in the 1966 World Cup.

I know it's a bit of a long shot but does anyone here have any first- or second-hand memories of those matches?
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

deCoubertin

February 13, 2013, 02:36:35 AM
Reply #1

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
I may or may not have told you this but I'm editing a Hungarian sports blog and currently I'm writing a rather lengthy (but hopefully interesting) article on the history of Goodison Park, on account of our team playing there (and beating Brazil) in the 1966 World Cup.

I know it's a bit of a long shot but does anyone here have any first- or second-hand memories of those matches?

I can ask me dad for you fella he went every game at goodison

Simply simply lovely

February 13, 2013, 02:38:14 AM
Reply #2

tonysoprano

went to every game at Goodison I had a pre bought book of tickets that covered every game still got the stubs to this day

February 13, 2013, 02:41:06 AM
Reply #3

Major Clanger

Thanks lads, any memories that could make my article sound less like a lecture on ancient history and more life-like will be greatly appreciated.

February 13, 2013, 02:54:51 AM
Reply #4

tonysoprano

most abiding memory is th N Korea v Portugal   Pak du ik (spelling ) was the key player for the Koreans with Eusabio being the Portuguese talisman, when the Koreans went into a 3-0 lead it was strange to hear Goodison chanting their name little did we know about the opressed regeime and tyranical dictator thy where ruled by,mind you Portugal was a Dictatorship at the time as well ,however Eusabio dominated the game in the 2nd half and Portugal won 4-3 in on of the greatest games ever seen at GP

February 13, 2013, 04:48:08 AM
Reply #5

Bacarelle

I was 15 at the time and went to all the qualifying round games at GP with my Dad.
We were in the Paddock.
I very we'll remember watching Brazil and being almost within touching distance of Pele.
Hungary beat Brazil with a fantastic goal from Albert, probably the best goal of the tournament.
We even got tickets for the Final. I remember that we got a letter from the FA inviting us to apply for Final tickets quite early in the competition. I sent off the form and my Dad played hell with me when he got home as he said England didn't have a hope of getting there ! He forgot about that when they got there !
When we got the tickets we were amazed to find that the 2 tickets were for different ends of the ground. We had never been to Wembley before and so just went to one end and presented the tickets and got in: we thought we had cracked it. However we hadn't realised that there was a second 'cordon' of entrance gates inside. Fortunately we got chatting with a guy who was on his own and he kindly volunteered to swap one of the tickets so that we could go in together.
Inside we found that we were behind the goal right next to the German supporters. it turned out to be the goal where the ball hit the bar and bounced down over (or not over if you are a German) the line. To this day I swear it went over but in all honestly I couldn't really see !
My hope now is to "do the double" and see England win the Rugby World Cup when it is next played in this country.
The elephant is a pretty bird
It flits from bough to bough
It makes its nest in a rhubarb tree
And whistles like a cow

February 13, 2013, 04:49:43 AM
Reply #6

Les Trebilcock

My auld fella' went to either some, or all, the WC matches at Goodison and his overriding memory #1 was to tell me that in the Brazil group, Brazil played Bulgaria first, Brazil won but Pele got the shit kicked out of him. Pele, subsequently never played in the second game, against Hungary, Hungary won (Hungary finished 2nd). Pele never played in the 3rd game against Portugal (Portugal finished top), Brazil lost that one as well.

His overriding memory #2 was Eusabio's sportsmanship, by clapping the goalies' saves, and his brilliant performance against the Koreans in the quarter final.
You can take that to the bank.

February 14, 2013, 05:06:32 AM
Reply #7

Major Clanger

went to every game at Goodison I had a pre bought book of tickets that covered every game still got the stubs to this day

Can you send me a photo of them? And if so, do you give me permission to use them?  :)

February 14, 2013, 05:28:02 AM
Reply #8

Bally

Administrator
My dad went all the world cup games at goodison too, he loved it he may still have the paraphernalia I'll ask him and get it on here if he does
It's the roll I way

February 14, 2013, 05:05:30 PM
Reply #9

MRB85

I only watched the games on the box but me and the old man both agreed after the tournament that the best player for any country had been Hungary's Florian Albert.  Fantastic.  So graceful.  He made our own ball-playing hero Alex Young look like a cart horse by comparison.  He'd just glide past players like they weren't there.  I can remember one particular run at Goodison when he sailed past 3 men (Brazilians?, can't remember) in the box at the Gwladys Street end but fired into the side netting.  If he'd have scored it would have been THE goal of the 66 World Cup without a doubt.

February 17, 2013, 11:20:58 PM
Reply #10

Allezlesbleus

I was at Portugal North Korea QF!! Plus one of the brazil games in the group stages but I have very little recollection of that game just disappointment at the great man being taken off injured quite early on. Can remember the Portugal game tho quite well.

February 17, 2013, 11:24:16 PM
Reply #11

Alanvideo

me and my mate Jimmy were in Glasgow on the day of the game . Didn't dare open our mouths  :shock:
We are special ,we are Everton.

February 17, 2013, 11:43:19 PM
Reply #12

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
Have u read peles autobiography? I don't usually like autobiographies, but it's an excellent read, and he goes into some detail about goodison park and the 1966 world cup in general, I think he mentions that everyone feared the hungarian team at the time. There's some pics of him at goodison in there too.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 11:45:46 PM by Duncs_a_legend »
"I would never die for my beliefs...because I might be wrong"

February 17, 2013, 11:45:13 PM
Reply #13

Ross

Weren't England due to have their semi at Goodison but it got changed last minute to Wembley?
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

February 18, 2013, 02:35:58 AM
Reply #14

Major Clanger

Weren't England due to have their semi at Goodison but it got changed last minute to Wembley?

That's what I was told too.