November 22, 2017, 03:23:31 PM

Author Topic: My Review of the Goodison Tour  (Read 2203 times)

March 13, 2013, 11:55:51 PM
Read 2203 times

18efc78

Did the tour of Goodison on monday and was somewhat disappointed, although not surprised, by the state of the facilities. We started the tour in the reception in the Goodison Road stand where we were met by our tour guides. The last time we did the tour we had Dave Hickson (mid/late 90s) and although these guys weren't former players, they were true Evertonians and that's all you can really ask for.

We were then led upstairs to the boardroom. At the top of the stairs to the right was a little door with "Chairman" on it. I couldn't believe it was so tucked away like it was a janitor's closet but I suppose some would argue that's all that is deserved. Anyway, the boardroom itself was a no-frills room with a big table and 10 or so chairs around it. The one feature the guides highlighted (that was of particular interest) was a little digital display on the wall at the head of the table. Apparently, during each home game, the home fan attendance figure is listed. This is because unless the attendance in the home sections is above 32,500 the club actually loses money. So to break even on paying staff, police, etc. for home games, we have to have more than 32,500 home fans at the games. I didn't understand exactly why the away tickets sales were not included so if anyone reading knows please share! Additionally, this room was where all player signings and player contract renewals occurred until Finch Farm was built.

After the boardroom, we were led into the Dixie Dean suite. Not sure if anyone has been in there but this is the top suite Goodison has to offer. It is apparently where the likes of Hodgson and managers of other teams taking in an Everton game are received and I have to say it was grim. There was little decor and very little genuine Dixie memorabilia on the walls and in the glass cases. Additionally, the room was FREEZING. We concluded that the club was saving money on the heating bill. It was demoralizing to think that a club of our stature (allegedly the 22nd richest in the world) could not heat all the rooms in the ground at the same time, but there you go.

Next, we were led to the Brian Labone suite. This was an unexpected high point and was a great tribute to the man. I think this is the second most prestigious (expensive) suite in Goodison and it felt as such. The room was cozier and had some genuine Labone memorabilia on the wall. The blue everton carpet made you feel like you were at Goodison and it was an overall better standard than the Dixie suite. However, some of the picture frames were shabby and needed replacing. Overall, Labby suite was a high point.

Next, we were led out to the chairman/shareholder/etc. seating in the stands and got to see the pitch from their vantage point. Very good view and apparently all the seats are heated - must be nice.

This was where the tour got grim. We went down to the changing rooms. Firstly, the away rooms were some of the most austere I've ever seen. I played at a reasonable youth (DC United u21) and university level (George Mason - granted not for long) in the states and we had locker rooms of a higher standard. They were cramped and poorly laid out and there were only about 5 showers. The tour guides mentioned that there was only one pipe leading in with hot water and it sometimes runs cold. I just pictured the likes of Van Persie, Mata, and Silva sitting in there at half time and it just didn't seem an appropriate setting for some of the world's best players even if they are the away team. I thought this was a ploy by the Goodison Park architects to put the home side at a psychological advantage but then we saw the home dressing rooms.

Although they were slightly bigger and better laid out, the amenities were of a similar quality to those in the away changing room. It was difficult to picture a full squad of players plus physios, assistant managers/coaches all sitting in there at the same time without being on top of each other. I just couldn't believe this was the environment Everton players got prepared for matches in - not inspiring in the least. It did make me wonder, however, why some of the players didn't forego a couple weeks wages and force the club to spruce the place up a bit. It would certainly have a positive impact on morale. It is just outrageous that players making forty, fifty, sixty thousand pounds a week used facilities that second rate American university athletes wouldn't be caught dead in. I know it shouldn't be down to the players to make such a change but when the players' wage bill is 60 or 70 percent of Everton's operating budget, I would feel slightly guilty.

I suppose it was decided that all available funding would go into Finch Farm where the players spend the vast majority of their time and by all accounts, FF is a top notch facility.

Anyway, the last part of the tour involved us walking down the tunnel to the Z Cars tune and I definitely know what the players mean when they say the hairs on the back of their neck stand up when its played before every match. A couple of interesting facts were who owns the boxes behind the home and away dug outs. The one closest to the Park End ("18") is Phil Neville's and the one next to that ("Super Six") is Jagielka's. Apparently Gibson also has one but the guides didn't know which one it was.

In sum (and sorry for being so long winded) it wouldn't take much to employ someone with a marketing/interior design background to spruce the hospitality suites, pictures, and memorabilia up to make the place a bit more inspiring. As for the changing rooms, Moyes works miracles if the players ever come out at half time and play better than in the first half because it is grim.

Hoping for a better performance against City before heading back to the States but am not optimistic. COYB!!

deCoubertin

March 14, 2013, 12:02:41 AM
Reply #1

Verm

NSNO Subscriber
The away dressing rooms in every stadium should be as uncomfortable as possible.
"..whenever i see an everton shirt i think there goes an everton fan. whenever i see a liverpool shirt i think there's someone wearing a liverpool shirt.."

March 14, 2013, 12:05:03 AM
Reply #2

Shogun

Administrator
so you're having a good trip then? lolol
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

March 14, 2013, 12:07:58 AM
Reply #3

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
That sounds so much worse than I thought theywould be. how depressing.

You really do sound like you having the time f your life mate
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...

March 14, 2013, 12:12:17 AM
Reply #4

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Where's the 18efc78  tour money bill?

March 14, 2013, 12:13:38 AM
Reply #5

18efc78

Dont mean to come across as whinging. I did enjoy the tour overall, especially walking down the tunnel. I just expected that professional players in one of the richest teams in one of the richest leagues in the world would be treated as such. Also thought the tour summed up our current financial plight which is why it wasn't surprising...

March 14, 2013, 12:28:39 AM
Reply #6

Polledreng

NSNO Subscriber
I didn't understand exactly why the away tickets sales were not included so if anyone reading knows please share!
from PL handbook 2012/13 R.10.
Unless otherwise agreed, the provision by a Home Club of tickets for sale by a Visiting Club shall be conditional upon:
R.10.1. the Visiting Club making the tickets available for purchase by the later of either 3 working days after receipt from the Home Club or the date that is 4 weeks before the date of the fixture;
R.10.2. any unsold tickets being returned by the Visiting Club to the Home Club not later than 7 days before the date fixed for the League Match to which they relate;
R.10.3. the proceeds of tickets sold and the face value of any unsold tickets not returned as aforesaid being paid by the Visiting Club to the Home Club within 4 days of the League Match taking place;
R.10.4. the Visiting Club paying to the Home Club daily interest at the rate of 5 per cent. per annum over the base rate for the time being of Barclays Bank Plc on any amount not paid in accordance with Rule R.10.3. - We don't get money from away matches - only if it's a cup game
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 12:29:49 AM by Polledreng »

March 14, 2013, 12:37:13 AM
Reply #7

Gash

Global Moderator
I'm sure the Dixie suite has just had a major revamp? I've only been in 1 suite and was very impressed. I can understand them not having the heating on full chat on non matchdays.

Agree with Verm, the grimmer the away dressing room the better.

March 14, 2013, 01:24:51 AM
Reply #8

phillyt

from PL handbook 2012/13 R.10.
Unless otherwise agreed, the provision by a Home Club of tickets for sale by a Visiting Club shall be conditional upon:
R.10.1. the Visiting Club making the tickets available for purchase by the later of either 3 working days after receipt from the Home Club or the date that is 4 weeks before the date of the fixture;
R.10.2. any unsold tickets being returned by the Visiting Club to the Home Club not later than 7 days before the date fixed for the League Match to which they relate;
R.10.3. the proceeds of tickets sold and the face value of any unsold tickets not returned as aforesaid being paid by the Visiting Club to the Home Club within 4 days of the League Match taking place;
R.10.4. the Visiting Club paying to the Home Club daily interest at the rate of 5 per cent. per annum over the base rate for the time being of Barclays Bank Plc on any amount not paid in accordance with Rule R.10.3. - We don't get money from away matches - only if it's a cup game

To me that reads that they do have to give us the money  and if they don't they pay interest on it, I guess the reason is that they know well in advance what the away crowd will be and staff appropriately.
I'm fat, but it's not my fault I have a genetic condition resulting in me retaining burgers.

March 14, 2013, 01:35:07 AM
Reply #9

Alanvideo

Last time I went on the tour was a Sunday morning after a derby defeat - it was like a funeral. The best thing is the guides - so knowledgeable and enthusiastic. I bumped into one of them last year at the Neville Southall do in the Alex and he was just the same . The changing rooms are grim home and away but the Dixie Dean is impressive. This was the only suite we were shown . After being pitchside we were shuffled out the Park End without so much as a cup of tea. A rather diappointing tour really ,the club could make more of an occasion out of it .
We are special ,we are Everton.

March 14, 2013, 01:37:56 AM
Reply #10

Mayor Farnum

I did the tour as a day out with the scouts about 38 years ago. Doesn’t sound like it has changed one bit. All I can remember from all those years back was being extremely unimpressed with the dressing rooms.

March 14, 2013, 06:03:38 AM
Reply #11

NomadskiEFC

NSNO Subscriber
18efc78, damn, sounds like this has been a real fly in the eye of a trip so far.  Maybe karma is preparing something very special for you on saturday to send you back with a smile on your face.
Once A Blue NEVER a Red

March 14, 2013, 07:18:11 AM
Reply #12

pommy

When i was kid i got to play at Analfield for my school in a cup final. We got the home changing room and i remember thinking , fucking average in here, and then thinking who gives a fuck am not here to judge the interior design. Are players really that shallow........

March 14, 2013, 08:50:24 AM
Reply #13

The Analog Kid

I remember the guide saying that away managers didn't like the changies due to the dog leg (shape of the room, obv!) that was in there, as it made communication with some players difficult. The one that moaned the most over it was the then shite manager Phil Thompson.

I didn't think the stadium was up to much from what I saw on the tour, it's very dated. As said already though, it's worth it just to walk down the tunnel and out onto the pitch. On a side note, the carpet on the floor of the players entrance with the crest on, my mate fitted that and nabbed some extra, it still sits proudly on his son's bedroom floor to this day!!

I also got treated to a Father's Day dinner a few years back in the Park End, all's they did was sat yer down, gave you steak pie and chips and let yer sit in the PE for half hour before turfing yer out. Didn't help matters when I puked all over the floor of the toilets. (It was my stag night the night before and, naturally, I was a fuckin' train wreck of a being)

March 14, 2013, 03:25:41 PM
Reply #14

Polledreng

NSNO Subscriber
To me that reads that they do have to give us the money  and if they don't they pay interest on it, I guess the reason is that they know well in advance what the away crowd will be and staff appropriately.
agree (I thought the OP was talking about our away tickets  :headbang:) - reading 18efc78's post again I can see what you mean - my mistake - This sounds a bit wierd. it must be 32.500 including away supporters ?