September 19, 2019, 09:43:41 AM

Author Topic: Tottenham v Everton  (Read 46043 times)

April 07, 2013, 10:35:44 PM
Reply #30

Verm

NSNO Subscriber
Stop looking at how much each team has spent, it's fucking irrelevant

Should QPR be above us?

Is Leighton Baines still a 5m player?
Is Jagielka worth 4m?
Is Mirallas worth 6m?

I could go on...

« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 10:36:29 PM by Verminator »
"..whenever i see an everton shirt i think there goes an everton fan. whenever i see a liverpool shirt i think there's someone wearing a liverpool shirt.."

April 07, 2013, 10:37:51 PM
Reply #31

Verm

NSNO Subscriber
If it's irrelevant then what is your issue with Kenwright?

It's irrelevant because good deals have made it that way.

More money would push us even further, sure, but that doesn't mean we still aren't capable of top 4/5 without it.
"..whenever i see an everton shirt i think there goes an everton fan. whenever i see a liverpool shirt i think there's someone wearing a liverpool shirt.."

April 07, 2013, 10:39:08 PM
Reply #32

Verm

NSNO Subscriber
Yes the ridiculous excuse of a lack of transfer funds which over pretty much the entire history of football has a direct correlation to where a team finishes.

Our first 11 can compete with just about any team, but our squad depth is absolutely appalling.

Like I said, they lose 3 top players and can bring in 3 more top players. We lose 2 top players and we bring in a kid with potential and decent player in Heitinga.

That clearly has an effect, and any inability to see that is blindness.

The team we put out today was good enough to win that game.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 10:39:23 PM by Verminator »

April 07, 2013, 10:42:58 PM
Reply #33

Verm

NSNO Subscriber

April 07, 2013, 10:43:55 PM
Reply #34

Verm

NSNO Subscriber

Fucking hell are you mad? Irrelevant? It clearly correlates directly to a team's performance over an extended period of time. Of course QPR aren't going to be above us, they have been spending big for 1 or 2 years and started with a far inferior squad.

Spurs have been spending money for years and years, and eventually it brought them into the Champions League and they have built a big squad with it.

Just because we've done well in the transfer market doesn't make it irrelevant. If anything it points to how well we've done given our resources. But their are limits to this. We can't afford to buy proven, top-level players that would give us that extra push we probably need.

It's irrelevant to the outcome of a single game though.

All that matters then is the quality in each side, not how much it cost.

April 07, 2013, 10:55:19 PM
Reply #35

Verm

NSNO Subscriber
Yes and the quality of a team is directly related to the money that team spends.

Yes we could have won that game, but saying it is irrelevant in an individual is nonsensical. You could say that in each individual game all season, but in the end quality is determined largely by the ability to spend in the transfer market.

I am not saying that a draw in this game is fine, or that we should accept it. But quite frankly the overreaction on here about getting a point away to Spurs is over the top.

We had the quality to win that game, but overall we played a good game and being realistic a point is not a bad result. Yes winning that game would have been huge for a push for 4th but drawing doesn't leave us much worse off than we were before the weekend.

Not at all, look at the difference between us and QPR, Sunderland, Newcastle etc..

April 07, 2013, 11:04:19 PM
Reply #36

Verm

NSNO Subscriber
If we had £5m more we coul have had another player like Mirallas.

Other teams wasting money is irrelevant; teams like Spurs spending money well isn't (in this case).

The player that's carried them all year cost £5m.

April 07, 2013, 11:07:33 PM
Reply #37

Verm

NSNO Subscriber
They paid 8 million for a 17 year old. We cannot afford to take that risk on potential.

Who?

(not disagreeing, just don't know)