October 24, 2019, 01:36:20 AM

Author Topic: Tottenham v Everton  (Read 47159 times)

April 07, 2013, 10:32:19 PM
Reply #345

Bily No Pace

Yes, as soon as we stop accepting "mediocrity" we will definitely make the Champions League. That's what's holding us back, not a lack of transfer funds and small squad.

When the have Defoe, Bale, and Lennon out, they can call on Sigurdsson, Dempsey and Adebayor. Which is about 30 millions pounds worth of transfer fees and very high wages. With Fellaini and Pienaar out we call upon Ross Barkley and John Heitinga.

Oh and people aren't happy with a point, but a draw away to Spurs at just about any other time of the year would be considered a good result.

Exactly, the knee jerks don't see both sides, it's always about negativity. We had two of our best players out too and we don't have the depth spurs do so player for player I would say we were out matched so to come back from home with a point isn't amazing but I think it's acceptable and certainly isn't Moyes' fault.
Bily No Pace has no signature

April 07, 2013, 10:33:42 PM
Reply #346

toshyboy

The standards of some are far too low.

We shouldn't be happy with a point against a team like Spurs anymore, they sure as hell aren't.

This acceptance of mediocrity really needs to stop, every game we draw with teams around us with whom we are competing for top 4/5 places should be looked at as points dropped and nothing more.
Thank you - its really gets me down with the small time mentality of our fans sometimes

April 07, 2013, 10:34:14 PM
Reply #347

kenz

The standards of some are far too low.

We shouldn't be happy with a point against a team like Spurs anymore, they sure as hell aren't.

This acceptance of mediocrity really needs to stop, every game we draw with teams around us with whom we are competing for top 4/5 places should be looked at as points dropped and nothing more.

I disagree.  

What have Tottenham spent over the last few years in comparison to us.  Like it or not, investment ultimately = results.  Everton are massively overachieving, much to the credit of Moyes.  Whilst no team should ever be happy conceding in the last 10, with a little balance and perspective,  any reasonable person should come to appreciate the fact that we are even competing with clubs who invest substantially more than us.

April 07, 2013, 10:35:14 PM
Reply #348

American Evertonian

Thank you - its really gets me down with the small time mentality of our fans sometimes

I can get on board with that.

On another note Zamora just got a straight red and will be out against us next week.
Are we there yet?

April 07, 2013, 10:35:18 PM
Reply #349

cantoffee

We have a squad good enough to be mixing it up with the likes of Spurs and Arsenal regardless.

I wish people would stop using the ridiculous excuse of lack of transfer funds. Moyes' biggest strength has been buying players at far under their value, we have more quality than a lot of sides who spend much more.

Yes the ridiculous excuse of a lack of transfer funds which over pretty much the entire history of football has a direct correlation to where a team finishes.

Our first 11 can compete with just about any team, but our squad depth is absolutely appalling.

Like I said, they lose 3 top players and can bring in 3 more top players. We lose 2 top players and we bring in a kid with potential and decent player in Heitinga.

That clearly has an effect, and any inability to see that is blindness.

April 07, 2013, 10:35:44 PM
Reply #350

Verm

NSNO Subscriber
Stop looking at how much each team has spent, it's fucking irrelevant

Should QPR be above us?

Is Leighton Baines still a £5m player?
Is Jagielka worth £4m?
Is Mirallas worth £6m?

I could go on...

« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 10:36:29 PM by Verminator »
"..whenever i see an everton shirt i think there goes an everton fan. whenever i see a liverpool shirt i think there's someone wearing a liverpool shirt.."

April 07, 2013, 10:35:51 PM
Reply #351

toshyboy

He had just got himself booked and hasn't completed 90 minutes since coming back from injury. I don't think Moyes wants to risk him pulling a muscle, especially as he was a doubt for this game.

I would say that our counter-attacking was still quite good given the chances we created in the last 10 minutes.

why not bring oviedo on then or somebody with pace - naismith was not brought on for counter attacking he was brought on for defensive reason = negative tactics.

Spurs were there to be had on the break

April 07, 2013, 10:36:14 PM
Reply #352

cantoffee

lol small time mentality, yes because we can see that a point away from home to Spurs isn't a disaster we are small time.

April 07, 2013, 10:36:27 PM
Reply #353

Bily No Pace

Stop looking at how much each team has spent, it's fucking irrelevant

Should QPR be above us?

If it's irrelevant then what is your issue with Kenwright?

Oh and is it just good fortune City won the league last season?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 10:37:25 PM by Bily No Pace »
Bily No Pace has no signature

April 07, 2013, 10:36:37 PM
Reply #354

Silas

NSNO Subscriber

It's not small time to be realistic.  It's not small time to see the positives and negatives in a particular game and it's not small time to see a bigger picture.  If you want to highlight reasons we haven't made top four this season it isn't games like today.  It's the games against the lower teams we have consistently failed to beat or get 3 points from and it's the failure to strengthen in January which meant our options on the bench are shite 

April 07, 2013, 10:37:33 PM
Reply #355

Polledreng

NSNO Subscriber
Yes the ridiculous excuse of a lack of transfer funds which over pretty much the entire history of football has a direct correlation to where a team finishes.

Our first 11 can compete with just about any team, but our squad depth is absolutely appalling.

Like I said, they lose 3 top players and can bring in 3 more top players. We lose 2 top players and we bring in a kid with potential and decent player in Heitinga.

:thumbsup:

April 07, 2013, 10:37:51 PM
Reply #356

Verm

NSNO Subscriber
If it's irrelevant then what is your issue with Kenwright?

It's irrelevant because good deals have made it that way.

More money would push us even further, sure, but that doesn't mean we still aren't capable of top 4/5 without it.
"..whenever i see an everton shirt i think there goes an everton fan. whenever i see a liverpool shirt i think there's someone wearing a liverpool shirt.."

April 07, 2013, 10:38:15 PM
Reply #357

toshyboy

Yes, as soon as we stop accepting "mediocrity" we will definitely make the Champions League. That's what's holding us back, not a lack of transfer funds and small squad.

When the have Defoe, Bale, and Lennon out, they can call on Sigurdsson, Dempsey and Adebayor. Which is about 30 millions pounds worth of transfer fees and very high wages. With Fellaini and Pienaar out we call upon Ross Barkley and John Heitinga.

Oh and people aren't happy with a point, but a draw away to Spurs at just about any other time of the year would be considered a good result.
thats an arguement for another day - based on what was out there today we showed we had enough to beat them - u cant blame the transfer budget for the last 5/10mins today

April 07, 2013, 10:38:46 PM
Reply #358

Polledreng

NSNO Subscriber
and with 10 to go we took off our most effective counter attacking player i.e mirallas
ooh   the guy having problems with his fitness .... or was that another player

April 07, 2013, 10:39:08 PM
Reply #359

Verm

NSNO Subscriber

The team we put out today was good enough to win that game.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 10:39:23 PM by Verminator »