August 20, 2019, 08:33:52 AM

Author Topic: Tottenham v Everton  (Read 44854 times)

April 07, 2013, 10:52:09 PM
Reply #375

cantoffee

spurs' bench was weaker than ours today - at the end of the day people are just accepting the draw cos it was spurs. Had this been against a qpr or a sunderland then im sure a lot more people would agree with mine and verms comments - Moyes seems to be exempt from criticism cos we played spurs - its an absolute joke

Yes because QPR and Sunderland are worse teams!

Moyes isn't exempt from criticism, as I said he should have done something to help Baines deal with Walker. Overall though he got it right and we had our chances to win the game.

April 07, 2013, 10:55:19 PM
Reply #376

Verm

NSNO Subscriber
Yes and the quality of a team is directly related to the money that team spends.

Yes we could have won that game, but saying it is irrelevant in an individual is nonsensical. You could say that in each individual game all season, but in the end quality is determined largely by the ability to spend in the transfer market.

I am not saying that a draw in this game is fine, or that we should accept it. But quite frankly the overreaction on here about getting a point away to Spurs is over the top.

We had the quality to win that game, but overall we played a good game and being realistic a point is not a bad result. Yes winning that game would have been huge for a push for 4th but drawing doesn't leave us much worse off than we were before the weekend.

Not at all, look at the difference between us and QPR, Sunderland, Newcastle etc..
"..whenever i see an everton shirt i think there goes an everton fan. whenever i see a liverpool shirt i think there's someone wearing a liverpool shirt.."

April 07, 2013, 10:56:22 PM
Reply #377

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber
spurs' bench was weaker than ours today - at the end of the day people are just accepting the draw cos it was spurs. Had this been against a qpr or a sunderland then im sure a lot more people would agree with mine and verms comments - Moyes seems to be exempt from criticism cos we played spurs - its an absolute joke

And had it been against Stalybridge Celtic, there'd be riots. And your point is?
I didn't even remember I had a signature.

April 07, 2013, 10:57:36 PM
Reply #378

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
There's a difference between being disappointed with dropping points in a game like today and looking at its context overall.

Everyone will be disappointed that we didn't win given how the game panned out.

But it's hardly a disgrace of a result.

April 07, 2013, 10:57:40 PM
Reply #379

MmmblueBernard

Anyone blamed Naismith yet?
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

April 07, 2013, 10:58:49 PM
Reply #380

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
There's a difference between being disappointed with dropping points in a game like today and looking at its context overall.

that's how i feel
Simply simply lovely

April 07, 2013, 10:59:19 PM
Reply #381

cantoffee

Not at all, look at the difference between us and QPR, Sunderland, Newcastle etc..

Over time, it will, in general, tell.

QPR had a crap squad only a year and a half ago. If they were to continue spending like that (and remain in the league) over the next 5 years they would push on.

Newcastle's net spend is actually not very high because of the money they got for that donkey Carroll.

Sunderland also haven't spent as much in recent years after selling Bent and Gyan for big money.

Look at the teams at the upper end of the table. Spurs, City, Chelsea have all spent big over the last 5 to 10 years to get where they are now. Even Arsenal, who haven't spent much on transfer fees have spent a lot on wages, enough to ensure they can keep a big squad.

April 07, 2013, 10:59:50 PM
Reply #382

cantoffee

Thank you.

April 07, 2013, 11:01:01 PM
Reply #383

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber

If we had £5m more we coul have had another player like Mirallas.

Other teams wasting money is irrelevant; teams like Spurs spending money well isn't (in this case).

April 07, 2013, 11:02:32 PM
Reply #384

JT

Good performance but gutted with another dropped points in last couple of minutes.

Poor sub decision by Moyes and Round in taking Mirallas off for Naismith. Had to be Oviedo for Mirallas, Ossie right mid, Oviedo left mid to protect Baines. All their threat was down our left and Coleman had Sigurdsson in his pocket.

Unlucky Vic with last gasp chance, great save by Lloris

April 07, 2013, 11:04:19 PM
Reply #385

Verm

NSNO Subscriber
If we had £5m more we coul have had another player like Mirallas.

Other teams wasting money is irrelevant; teams like Spurs spending money well isn't (in this case).

The player that's carried them all year cost £5m.
"..whenever i see an everton shirt i think there goes an everton fan. whenever i see a liverpool shirt i think there's someone wearing a liverpool shirt.."

April 07, 2013, 11:06:37 PM
Reply #386

cantoffee

They paid 8 million for a 17 year old. We cannot afford to take that risk on potential.

April 07, 2013, 11:07:33 PM
Reply #387

Verm

NSNO Subscriber
They paid 8 million for a 17 year old. We cannot afford to take that risk on potential.

Who?

(not disagreeing, just don't know)

April 07, 2013, 11:08:21 PM
Reply #388

toshyboy

But it's not is it!!!! That's the fucking point!

so "your fucking point" is that we should only expect to see out our leads and beat the like of sunderland and qpr?

Fuckin joke we've gotta strive to be bigger and better than these teams in and around us regardless of budget and our tactics have got to reflect that.

April 07, 2013, 11:08:58 PM
Reply #389

Ridge

The original fee was 5 rising to over 10, but Saints needed cash so settled for a couple of million on top of the original £5m payment.

Plus he was brought as a 17 year old and didn't get in the first team for a long time. When was the last time we agreed a fee near £10m for a player who wasn't going to be first team immediately.