August 19, 2019, 01:07:08 AM

Author Topic: Tottenham v Everton  (Read 44839 times)

April 07, 2013, 11:10:23 PM
Reply #390

cantoffee

Who?

(not disagreeing, just don't know)

Bale, they paid an intial 5 million rising to 10 million. Although I think Southampton accepted an early fee.

We simply don't have the luxury of spending 5 million on a player that won't contribute for another 3 years. He was awful in his first two seasons and only started playing well in his third. If we pay that much we need someone who can contribute immediately.

April 07, 2013, 11:14:21 PM
Reply #391

toshyboy

There's a difference between being disappointed with dropping points in a game like today and looking at its context overall.

Everyone will be disappointed that we didn't win given how the game panned out.

But it's hardly a disgrace of a result.

I agree its not a disgrace of a result. My gripe is with the continued negative tactics employed by moyes in the last 10mins of games that we are leading. This "discussion" has escalated as people seem to think Moyes is exempt from criticism for his tactical shortfalls for today just because its spurs we played.
Its not just about today its has happened numerous times this season where we've lost points in the last 5mins after negative changes

April 07, 2013, 11:17:36 PM
Reply #392

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber
Who?

(not disagreeing, just don't know)

It was actually closer to 7, but it doesn't really matter. Spurs can afford to risk a lot of money on unproven youngsters like Bale, Naughton and loads of others who didn't quite work out.
I didn't even remember I had a signature.

April 07, 2013, 11:19:14 PM
Reply #393

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
Yep Stones must be fucking boss

Sent from Tsort

April 07, 2013, 11:20:40 PM
Reply #394

cantoffee

Bale, they paid an intial 5 million rising to 10 million. Although I think Southampton accepted an early fee.

We simply don't have the luxury of spending 5 million on a player that won't contribute for another 3 years. He was awful in his first two seasons and only started playing well in his third. If we pay that much we need someone who can contribute immediately.

I should also point out that you are using one player as an example which doesn't necessarily represent the rule.

For every Gareth Bale that is bought for decent money at 17 or 18, there are 4 or 5 others that never repay their fee.

Even a team like Spurs, that has generally bought very well, have a huge number of duds.

Look at Kyle Naughton, only this year is he getting any time on the pitch and it's not much. They paid 6 million for him.

Other shit transfers:

David Bentley 17 million
Bassong 8 million
Alan Hutton 9 million
Dos Santos 4 million

And a litany of players we've never heard of for between 2 and 4 million because they never made it.

April 07, 2013, 11:23:14 PM
Reply #395

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I agree its not a disgrace of a result. My gripe is with the continued negative tactics employed by moyes in the last 10mins of games that we are leading. This "discussion" has escalated as people seem to think Moyes is exempt from criticism for his tactical shortfalls for today just because its spurs we played.
Its not just about today its has happened numerous times this season where we've lost points in the last 5mins after negative changes

Well you'd have to think that it was his fault that they equalised then which is tenuous.

April 07, 2013, 11:31:32 PM
Reply #396

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
The point about money isn't related to individual games or even individual seasons.

However continuos differences over several seasons and it will manifest itself.

Bale wasn't great at first yet they were able to continue to spend while he improved.

That's where the important factor is; they are less likely to suffer if a player doesn't work out as they have more players.

We suffered when Mirallas was out as we don't have adequate replacements.

It's the cumulative effect of the money.

April 07, 2013, 11:37:37 PM
Reply #397

Shogun

Administrator
By the way Mirallas was pretty poor in attacking areas today despite his great goal.

score against Oldham, Reading, City (sort of), Stoke and Tottenham now which is 5 in 6 so it's good to see he's got a goal a game in him.
I never claimed to be a saint

April 07, 2013, 11:53:44 PM
Reply #398

minty

I should also point out that you are using one player as an example which doesn't necessarily represent the rule.

For every Gareth Bale that is bought for decent money at 17 or 18, there are 4 or 5 others that never repay their fee.

Even a team like Spurs, that has generally bought very well, have a huge number of duds.

Look at Kyle Naughton, only this year is he getting any time on the pitch and it's not much. They paid 6 million for him.

Other shit transfers:

David Bentley 17 million
Bassong 8 million
Alan Hutton 9 million
Dos Santos 4 million

And a litany of players we've never heard of for between 2 and 4 million because they never made it.

4 players from 4-6 seasons ago. I guess we've also had loads of shit transfers/a huge number of duds/players who haven't or won't repay their fees.

Yakubu
Bily
Van Der Meyde
Kroldrup
Heitinga (are we going to get anywhere near 6mil for him?)

April 07, 2013, 11:54:20 PM
Reply #399

Grand Master C

There's a difference between being disappointed with dropping points in a game like today and looking at its context overall.

Everyone will be disappointed that we didn't win given how the game panned out.

But it's hardly a disgrace of a result.

Exactly, it is all relative:

Before the match I would have happily taken this result.

At 2 minutes I would have fuckin bitten your hand off for it.

Now I am a bit gutted, but not as much as I would have been had Chelsea lost or Liverpool won.

At the end of the day we have taken 4 points of Spurs this season, if we could get that type of consistency throughout the league we are golden.

April 08, 2013, 12:02:20 AM
Reply #400

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
4 players from 4-6 seasons ago. I guess we've also had loads of shit transfers/a huge number of duds/players who haven't or won't repay their fees.

Yakubu
Bily
Van Der Meyde
Kroldrup
Heitinga (are we going to get anywhere near 6mil for him?)

It is largely irrelevant whether they've bought rubbish players or not.

It's that they've ha enough money that even when they did it didn't matter (greatly) or certainly not if they were measuring themselves against us.

Which they probably haven't as their investment levels will mean they compare themselves with Arsenal etc.

April 08, 2013, 12:08:09 AM
Reply #401

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
Not having Heitinga in that list.

Sent from Tsort

April 08, 2013, 12:22:06 AM
Reply #402

Shogun

Administrator
Played fairly well as a team, a hell of a lot of wayward passing though.

We were unlucky with their equaliser in the way it fell to Sigur Siggurds Sigurddson the tottenham lads feet straight from hitting the post.
I never claimed to be a saint

April 08, 2013, 12:32:17 AM
Reply #403

Bily No Pace

Sent from Tsort

Yea the knee jerks seem to forget he was player of the season last year....
Bily No Pace has no signature

April 08, 2013, 12:43:28 AM
Reply #404

Heisenberg

Sent from Tsort
Or Yakubu!

He was hardly some unproven foreigner