October 18, 2017, 09:51:51 PM

Author Topic: World cup squad  (Read 2381 times)

December 12, 2009, 03:43:20 AM
Read 2381 times

Loganblue

Hi Guys

A newbie here, apologies if this has been asked before, but just wondering if anyone has any views on , if any of our English players, could force their way into Cappellos world cup squad, or is it probably to late. I think Jags could just make it , providing he proves his fitness, Love to see Baines, Rodwell (probably one big tournament to soon), and hibbo (only joking)

deCoubertin

December 12, 2009, 03:59:48 AM
Reply #1

blue for you

hibbo he would be no worst than johnston or richards of city if they go.
don't think jags will make it it will be hard to come back in after being out
for so long. its only 6 months away

December 12, 2009, 04:08:01 AM
Reply #2

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
None of our English players will make it.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man how to fish, the government will tell him to register his business license, pay income tax, pay payroll, pay for fishing permit.

December 12, 2009, 04:51:46 AM
Reply #3

cantoffee

Jags may have a chance simply due to Rio and Upson lacking fitness, but he'll need to hit full form as soon as he comes back. Baines just doesn't seem likely, although I'd take him over that useless knob Bridge anyday. If he can get into a squad and perform well in an appearance he could oust him, especially given Bridge's poor form(or is that how he always plays?).

December 12, 2009, 07:07:38 AM
Reply #4

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
Baines and jags are much better than cole, bridge, upson and Lescott imo but neither of them will be picked

December 12, 2009, 07:13:24 AM
Reply #5

cantoffee

baines better than cole? i think not, cole's been an absolute monster this year, he's the best he's ever been. Baines has some way to go, especially defensively, plus his delivery has been off this year. Lescott, Upson and Bridge are nothing special though, but upson has performed fairly well in international play.

December 12, 2009, 09:53:30 AM
Reply #6

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
baines better than cole? i think not, cole's been an absolute monster this year, he's the best he's ever been. Baines has some way to go, especially defensively, plus his delivery has been off this year. Lescott, Upson and Bridge are nothing special though, but upson has performed fairly well in international play.

I dont think cole is good defensively. I think baines has a better all round game although agree his crossing has been poor

December 12, 2009, 04:39:13 PM
Reply #7

Risky

NSNO Subscriber
I don't think any of them will make it to be honest, unless there are some serious injury problems for other players in the squad.

Jags won't have enough time to get himself back in to form and in to the picture, which is a shame as I'm sure he would be going if he hadn't got his injury.

Baines is a decent shout for cover at LB, but Bridge is somehow established in that role anyway.  Cole is a long way better than Baines at the moment by the way - he is an excellent LB and he can defend well too.  He's clearly a bit of a bellend, but in football terms he's far and away the best English LB at the moment.

December 12, 2009, 05:04:32 PM
Reply #8

Dr. Sponge

I don't think any of them will make it to be honest, unless there are some serious injury problems for other players in the squad.

Jags won't have enough time to get himself back in to form and in to the picture, which is a shame as I'm sure he would be going if he hadn't got his injury.

Baines is a decent shout for cover at LB, but Bridge is somehow established in that role anyway.  Cole is a long way better than Baines at the moment by the way - he is an excellent LB and he can defend well too.  He's clearly a bit of a bellend, but in football terms he's far and away the best English LB at the moment.

Hahahaha this.

I think our English players will have a hard time breaking into the national squad with the current form of our whole club. Wayne Bridge is injured at the moment, so if Everton and Baines kick on after Christmas then he could stand a chance, but only as cover, because Ashley Cole is in top form, and is real Champions League week-in-week-out quality.

It's unfortunate for Jags, we all know he is good enough to be there, it's just a matter of whether he can recover quick enough or not....

December 12, 2009, 07:57:08 PM
Reply #9

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
If Jags doesn't go this time, I doubt he ever will. Shame as he would be great cover for the two favourites.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man how to fish, the government will tell him to register his business license, pay income tax, pay payroll, pay for fishing permit.

December 12, 2009, 08:18:08 PM
Reply #10

Thom

Administrator
If Jags doesn't go this time, I doubt he ever will. Shame as he would be great cover for the two favourites.

Why not? He's only 26 at the moment. Ferdinand will be 34 by the time of the next World Cup and is picking up niggles now, so if that continues he may not be in contention for this World Cup let alone four years down the line. Terry will be 32/33 though, so he might still go.

Lescott will be 30/31, Upson the same age as Terry as well. Apart from Gary Cahill, Lescott and Jagielka, I can't think of any 23-26 year olds who would make the England squad if they make the 2014 tournament. Plus, any youngsters coming through now would only be backup themselves (expect Rodwell ;) ).