November 13, 2019, 10:11:45 PM

Author Topic: The ITK Thread 2013/14 sponsored by FootballITK.com (Regularly Updated)  (Read 427426 times)

June 14, 2013, 08:29:59 PM
Reply #540

Gash

Global Moderator
If I could go back in time and convince Moyes to start Drenthe instead of Gueye in the Semi I would do!

Not that I want to open the debate again but really he should have at least been on the bench, even if he was beaheaded after the game by Moyes. We had fuck all options to change it that day

With Pienaar cup tied, and Cahill no longer having an effect on games. The creative burden fell on the shoulders of Leon Osman and Magaye Gueye. Gueye was utterly anonymous and Osman that day deserved all the criticism that sharpattack usually has for him

McFadden was never realistically going to be used, we well should have had Royston on the bench. Most direct, creative, fastest midfield player available.

It was like going in to a gun fight with a pen knife and leaving a shotgun at home

He let the whole club down in the run up to that game, fans, coaches, team mates etc, there's no way he should have been near the pitch, he probably wasn't sober enough to play anyway.

You and TRVP are the only people still beating the drum that he should have played that day, enough said.

June 14, 2013, 08:43:57 PM
Reply #541

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Yeah I would have been happy for Drenthe to have been thrown in the bin straight after. But first and foremost I'd be thinking theres a semi final and its a derby, should I stick with the guy who trains well and on time but is rubbish in games, or the one who scores and assists for fun and has effect on games but is a total prick?my conclusion every time is Drenthe. Even just as a sub

Agreed I would have started anyone from the crowd ahead of Gueye

There are different levels of being a prick though.

It's no good if he plays well but other players are worse as they're not happy with Drenthe or the way he was treated in comparison with others who do do the right things.

Also if we'd have won the semi with Drenthe playing, how would Moyes have justified no picking him for the final?

June 14, 2013, 08:45:00 PM
Reply #542

Sir Stealth

NSNO Subscriber
He let the whole club down in the run up to that game, fans, coaches, team mates etc, there's no way he should have been near the pitch, he probably wasn't sober enough to play anyway.

You and TRVP are the only people still beating the drum that he should have played that day, enough said.

Haha the 2 best posters on here!my criticism is probably aimed at Moyes. I paid a few hundred quid on that day to get down to Wembley and watch the game. In my opinion I would prefer a greater chance to win the game than to dish out a lesson in life to those who break rules. Drenthe was more likely to produce the goods than Gueye or Mcfadden, therefore he should have either started instead of Gueye or on the bench instead of Mcfadden

After the game we terminate the contract of Drenthe regardless but at least we were potentially getting what we paid him for one last time!
You think Lou Bega knocked it out of the park with Mambo number 1?!No but he kept at it!

June 14, 2013, 08:52:18 PM
Reply #543

Gash

Global Moderator
Haha the 2 best posters on here!my criticism is probably aimed at Moyes. I paid a few hundred quid on that day to get down to Wembley and watch the game. In my opinion I would prefer a greater chance to win the game than to dish out a lesson in life to those who break rules. Drenthe was more likely to produce the goods than Gueye or Mcfadden, therefore he should have either started instead of Gueye or on the bench instead of Mcfadden

After the game we terminate the contract of Drenthe regardless but at least we were potentially getting what we paid him for one last time!

Judging by the stories, it's highly unlikely that he would have produced the goods given the apparent state he was in the week before the game.

And how would that have looked if we had terminated his contract straight after the game if he'd scored or assisted the winning goal or put in MOM performance? It's not just how a case of "he should have played" it's the whole affect his selection could have had on the team and himself, it would say that you can disrespect everyone at the club and be a general cunt, but you'll still get to play in our biggest game of the season.

June 14, 2013, 09:23:45 PM
Reply #544

Danny

You've also got to take into account how much it undermines Moyes if he plays Drenthe in the semi, would make a twat out of him infront of all the players.

June 14, 2013, 09:27:04 PM
Reply #545

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
If drenthe played that day other players who missed out that day would rightly be pissed .  You can't make exceptions because they have a bit of skill

Sent from Koom valley

June 14, 2013, 09:34:58 PM
Reply #546

Simon Paul

Administrator
If drenthe played that day other players who missed out that day would rightly be pissed .  You can't make exceptions because they have a bit of skill

Sent from Koom valley

Mcfadden and Gueye have both left anyway. Let them get upset,  they didn't deserve to play in a final anyway but at least if Drenthe had played they could have watched from better seats

sent from round are way

June 14, 2013, 09:48:04 PM
Reply #547

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Mcfadden and Gueye have both left anyway. Let them get upset,  they didn't deserve to play in a final anyway but at least if Drenthe had played they could have watched from better seats

sent from round are way

Exactly. Who gives a fuck what two shitty footballers thought.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
“The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” Barack Obama

June 14, 2013, 10:14:28 PM
Reply #548

SPJ

I've always thought Drenthe should have played, you play your best team to win games, simple as that. Any other issues you deal with seperately and let's be honest none of us know what really happened or how bad it was compared to what other players have done/do. I think it was more about Moyes's ego and control freak mentality.

Footballers get paid a fortune but everyone seems to be worried about their poor delicate little state of mind if the naughty Drenthe had played, it's bollocks. I'm sure the whole squad would have felt happy enough if we'd won the semi final and got to the final.
Moyes got it wrong big time, Gueye was, as we all knew he would be, totally anonymous whereas Drenthe would have scared the shit out of the shite and given us the outlet we badly needed in the second half.

June 14, 2013, 11:18:03 PM
Reply #549

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Exactly. Who gives a fuck what two shitty footballers thought.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

It's not those footballers.

It's the good ones who actually played as well.

What's the point of them doing the right thing week in week out? They can act the tit and still play if Drenthe does (did).

Sooner or later the overall level starts to drop as more players think that they can't be arsed either.

I honestly can't believe there's a debate about this.

All he had to do was turn up on time.

June 14, 2013, 11:25:31 PM
Reply #550

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber

What's the point of them doing the right thing week in week out? They can act the tit and still play if Drenthe does (did).

Sooner or later the overall level starts to drop as more players think that they can't be arsed either.

uber this

June 14, 2013, 11:30:18 PM
Reply #551

Trowel

I never understand why people debate on rumour alone the decision of a manager who had all the facts.
www.footballitk.com | Football news from those In The Know

Latest Everton transfer news

June 14, 2013, 11:32:45 PM
Reply #552

wepull

This.

June 15, 2013, 12:18:56 AM
Reply #553

blargins

NSNO Subscriber

At that point, 90 minutes away from a final, you want your best side out. We may just as well started with 10 men with Geueye in the side. I don't think one game would have sent the wrong message out really. It was a case of cutting your nose off to spite your face.

I'm sure getting to the final and then having a good chance of winning it would have overshadowed the fact he played. Even as a sub. Rules are good to have, but sometimes it doesn't hurt to break or bend them once in a while.
“The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” Barack Obama

June 15, 2013, 12:26:36 AM
Reply #554

wepull

At that point, 90 minutes away from a final, you want your best side out. We may just as well started with 10 men with Geueye in the side. I don't think one game would have sent the wrong message out really. It was a case of cutting your nose off to spite your face.

I'm sure getting to the final and then having a good chance of winning it would have overshadowed the fact he played. Even as a sub. Rules are good to have, but sometimes it doesn't hurt to break or bend them once in a while.

And what if players like Baines, Jagielka and Pienaar decide to do it the next time round. Then you do nothing to them too. Drenthe knew the rules, he knew he had to follow them. It's his immature behaviour which let both him and team down.

And there is no guarantee that he would have been effective too. Probably would have had a stinker and most would have been blaming Moyes that he bent rules to accommodate a player who didn't even care about the rules, team and the fans.