October 20, 2019, 11:26:42 PM

Author Topic: The ITK Thread 2013/14 sponsored by FootballITK.com (Regularly Updated)  (Read 425754 times)

July 10, 2013, 06:17:37 AM
Reply #1170

Shogun

Administrator
Wrong

2 Wigan players.

Joel Robles was from Atletico Madrid

Wrong

1 Wigan player

Alcaraz was a free agent :D

July 10, 2013, 06:18:24 AM
Reply #1171

Cozzie

Wrong

1 Wigan player

Alcaraz was a free agent :D

I was gonna put that but thought I would be over doing it a bit :P

July 10, 2013, 07:31:05 AM
Reply #1172

howard1334

Don't be greedy now mate. I would prefer a better striker or another midfielder

We need a ACM/Second Striker/Tim Cahill esque/creative forward thinking person (whatever you want to call it) in the mold of Honda, Kagawa, or Van Der Vart much more than we need another striker or another midfielder (though arguably you may have been alluding to that with your post either way).

July 10, 2013, 08:22:54 AM
Reply #1173

Outworlder47

We need a ACM/Second Striker/Tim Cahill esque/creative forward thinking person (whatever you want to call it) in the mold of Honda, Kagawa, or Van Der Vart much more than we need another striker or another midfielder (though arguably you may have been alluding to that with your post either way).

The more I think about it, the more Keisuke Honda makes sense. In Fellaini, we have the combative box-to-box midfield presence. Gibson gives us a steadying influence when fit. Osman has shown that when played centrally, he can definitely influence games, though he's ideally not the main central creative spark. After that, though, we've got very little that we can absolutely count on. Barkley in an attacking role is great in theory, but he's still very young; to rely on him to perform, I think, would be foolhardy.

Honda would fill that attacking role quite nicely. He can certainly pull the strings, chips in with some goals, and can drift to either wing on occasion. That would give an advanced midfield trio of Pienaar/Honda/Mirallas, which would be very dangerous and fluid as they could all three occupy any of those positions. Late in games, if a more conservative midfielder is called for, one of them could be withdrawn in favor of Osman/Gibson, or Gibson/Osman could be withdrawn in favor of Barkley with Honda dropping back if a more attacking option is called for.

Fellaini-Gibson
Mirallas-Honda-Pienaar
           striker

Fellaini-Gibson
Pienaar-Osman-Honda
             striker

Fellaini-Honda
Mirallas-Barkley-Pienaar
             striker

Pienaar-Fellaini-Osman-Honda
              two strikers

Fellaini
        Pienaar-----Honda
Anichebe----Kone----Mirallas

The formation options become myriad, and tasty. Also allows for much better squad rotation, as you wouldn't have to expect the same XI to need to start every match to be competitive.

July 10, 2013, 08:25:09 AM
Reply #1174

Bluedylan

The more I think about it, the more Keisuke Honda makes sense. In Fellaini, we have the combative box-to-box midfield presence. Gibson gives us a steadying influence when fit. Osman has shown that when played centrally, he can definitely influence games, though he's ideally not the main central creative spark. After that, though, we've got very little that we can absolutely count on. Barkley in an attacking role is great in theory, but he's still very young; to rely on him to perform, I think, would be foolhardy.

Honda would fill that attacking role quite nicely. He can certainly pull the strings, chips in with some goals, and can drift to either wing on occasion. That would give an advanced midfield trio of Pienaar/Honda/Mirallas, which would be very dangerous and fluid as they could all three occupy any of those positions. Late in games, if a more conservative midfielder is called for, one of them could be withdrawn in favor of Osman/Gibson, or Gibson/Osman could be withdrawn in favor of Barkley with Honda dropping back if a more attacking option is called for.

Fellaini-Gibson
Mirallas-Honda-Pienaar
           striker

Fellaini-Gibson
Pienaar-Osman-Honda
             striker

Fellaini-Honda
Mirallas-Barkley-Pienaar
             striker

Pienaar-Fellaini-Osman-Honda
              two strikers

Fellaini
        Pienaar-----Honda
Anichebe----Kone----Mirallas

The formation options become myriad, and tasty. Also allows for much better squad rotation, as you wouldn't have to expect the same XI to need to start every match to be competitive.

Great analysis. End of.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

July 10, 2013, 08:57:49 AM
Reply #1175

Outworlder47

Than
Great analysis. End of.

Thanks. One thing I forgot to add: The going rate for that type of player, particularly with a bit of resale potential down the road, is somewhere in the £12-15M range. (That seems to be what Palermo is asking for Ilicic, and they *gasp* just got relegated! ) Honda, by all accounts, is available for a third of that right now. There is little chance we could get a player of that quality for that price regardless of position otherwise.

I often find it helpful to take an economic look at sport clubs. There is little difference to be had in the bottom, say, third of the table, aside from the occasional absolutely dreadful side. For them, spending a few million pounds could grant them an extra position at the end of the season, potentially guaranteeing safety. (Look at Southampton and the rumoured Wanyama move--great for them, as it's probably worth a spot or two in the table and the extra money that brings in.) But for teams higher in the pecking order (like us), it typically takes a more significant outlay (in terms of either transfer funds or time and effort in developing youth) to take the next step, even if the magnitude of that step in the final table is still the same one or two spots. Sure, we could pretty easily build a side to get into Europe with a few tens of millions of pounds, but we don't have that. So, when bargains come around that represent significant potential improvements at a low cost, they just make sense. (I'd be sorely tempted to add Diame for the same reason at £3.5M, but that may not be feasible.) And that's before you even consider any potential marketing impact having one of Japan's biggest stars might provide; he'll be in the limelight in Brazil next season, and having him at Goodison would be immense.

Honda, maybe Deulofeu on loan with Gueye leaving for £2M or so, and possibly Heitinga out (Diame in?), with no significant departures, and I'm ecstatic at this transfer window. Heck, just give me Honda and close the window now, and I'm dancing in the streets.

July 10, 2013, 09:00:21 AM
Reply #1176

Verm

NSNO Subscriber
The ginger Scotsman has also had to wait until he sold players before he could spend anything since 2008.

Remind me who we signed in January with the money Martinez is spending?
"..whenever i see an everton shirt i think there goes an everton fan. whenever i see a liverpool shirt i think there's someone wearing a liverpool shirt.."

July 10, 2013, 11:30:04 AM
Reply #1177

howard1334

Than
Thanks. One thing I forgot to add: The going rate for that type of player, particularly with a bit of resale potential down the road, is somewhere in the £12-15M range. (That seems to be what Palermo is asking for Ilicic, and they *gasp* just got relegated! ) Honda, by all accounts, is available for a third of that right now. There is little chance we could get a player of that quality for that price regardless of position otherwise.

I often find it helpful to take an economic look at sport clubs. There is little difference to be had in the bottom, say, third of the table, aside from the occasional absolutely dreadful side. For them, spending a few million pounds could grant them an extra position at the end of the season, potentially guaranteeing safety. (Look at Southampton and the rumoured Wanyama move--great for them, as it's probably worth a spot or two in the table and the extra money that brings in.) But for teams higher in the pecking order (like us), it typically takes a more significant outlay (in terms of either transfer funds or time and effort in developing youth) to take the next step, even if the magnitude of that step in the final table is still the same one or two spots. Sure, we could pretty easily build a side to get into Europe with a few tens of millions of pounds, but we don't have that. So, when bargains come around that represent significant potential improvements at a low cost, they just make sense. (I'd be sorely tempted to add Diame for the same reason at £3.5M, but that may not be feasible.) And that's before you even consider any potential marketing impact having one of Japan's biggest stars might provide; he'll be in the limelight in Brazil next season, and having him at Goodison would be immense.

Honda, maybe Deulofeu on loan with Gueye leaving for £2M or so, and possibly Heitinga out (Diame in?), with no significant departures, and I'm ecstatic at this transfer window. Heck, just give me Honda and close the window now, and I'm dancing in the streets.

Honestly, if we just go and sell Heitinga and purchase Honda, I think we would be in great shape.

July 10, 2013, 12:59:48 PM
Reply #1178

Simon Paul

Administrator
The ginger Scotsman has also had to wait until he sold players before he could spend anything since 2008.

but thanks to our recent investment from the Russian billionaire Roberto doesn't have to?

July 10, 2013, 01:25:07 PM
Reply #1179

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber

Or let us know who he has signed at the richest club in the world.
Or does he have to wait for Rooneys sale?

The only transfer activity there has been the formalities of the deals left in place by Ferguson

July 10, 2013, 04:02:44 PM
Reply #1180

Fellainis Hairdresser

could do with wanyama or diame I think
We're Forever Evertonnnnn!!

July 10, 2013, 04:13:23 PM
Reply #1181

plumber

Why people are still talking about Honda as if he was a realistic target?

July 10, 2013, 04:22:31 PM
Reply #1182

the roy vernon plan

I am beginning to think that Billy Lair´s dream will come true and that we will sell both Baines and Fellani.  DM has unsettled his left back at OT and one who had a top season so will have to pay EFC a decent price for Baines, whereas Arsenal or whoever will be forcing down the price until the start of the season for Fellani.   

The Liar will give Martínez about half of the proceeds over time and the rest to keep the ship above water.   

July 10, 2013, 04:23:09 PM
Reply #1183

Polledreng

NSNO Subscriber
don't take the dream away. I hate people being realistic  ;)

July 10, 2013, 04:23:39 PM
Reply #1184

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber

We are dreaming the impossible dream
Simply simply lovely