March 19, 2019, 11:30:54 AM

Author Topic: The ITK Thread 2013/14 sponsored by FootballITK.com (Regularly Updated)  (Read 404174 times)

August 21, 2013, 12:15:52 AM
Reply #1920

Makis

not a rumour in my opinion we should go for sandro as one of fellainis replacements given the amount of midfielders spurs have
Rather Holtby of that lot. Doesn't quite seem to fit there.

Although Dembele would be the best replacement for Fellaini.

August 21, 2013, 12:40:10 AM
Reply #1921

ally2

Not that arsed if both go tbh. Fellaini was never going to stay and he hasn't perfected the position he wants to play yet. Baines has a replacement already and we have good youth. His contract is running down and he's not young. I would also be happy to bring in temporary cover for one season and spend some of the money when the right player comes along. Meanwhile we look financially better and perhaps that might entice investment.

August 21, 2013, 12:53:13 AM
Reply #1922

Fellainis Hairdresser

can see us selling them on the last day and having no time to bring anyone in as usual
We're Forever Evertonnnnn!!

August 21, 2013, 12:59:27 AM
Reply #1923

Ross

Not that arsed if both go tbh. Fellaini was never going to stay and he hasn't perfected the position he wants to play yet. Baines has a replacement already and we have good youth. His contract is running down and he's not young. I would also be happy to bring in temporary cover for one season and spend some of the money when the right player comes along. Meanwhile we look financially better and perhaps that might entice investment.

I can't understand that attitude, ok the writings been in the wall for a while with Fellaini. But Baines is the best left back in the country and should be entering his prime years. He's never gave any indication he would like a move previously even though opportunities came his way and he's still got at least another 5 years as a top player. I just can't for the life of me understand why you wouldn't want to see him here playing for us.

As for the "running his contract down" thing, he's got 3 years left on it that's hardly about to expire. You could apply the same logic to a player who's just signed a 5 year deal yesterday.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

August 21, 2013, 01:05:27 AM
Reply #1924

Bluedylan

I can't understand that attitude, ok the writings been in the wall for a while with Fellaini. But Baines is the best left back in the country and should be entering his prime years. He's never gave any indication he would like a move previously even though opportunities came his way and he's still got at least another 5 years as a top player. I just can't for the life of me understand why you wouldn't want to see him here playing for us.

Well said. Lumping Fellaini and Baines together is silly, because they're entirely different characters and have a totally different connection with the club and the area (not to mention Baines's importance to the way we play).

I'd keep Baines unless we were offered silly money (say £25m), if it was upto me.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

August 21, 2013, 01:15:56 AM
Reply #1925

Thornton_19

can see us selling them on the last day and having no time to bring anyone in as usual

Once in 11 years. Idiot.

August 21, 2013, 01:18:04 AM
Reply #1926

Fellainis Hairdresser

We're Forever Evertonnnnn!!

August 21, 2013, 01:49:11 AM
Reply #1927

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber

As for the "running his contract down" thing, he's got 3 years left on it that's hardly about to expire. You could apply the same logic to a player who's just signed a 5 year deal yesterday.

Baines only has a couple of years left on his contract. So IF we did want to sell or Baines wasn't jumping at signing a new deal is would be the window to do it. We aren't going to like the offers that come in otherwise with a year or so left to go.

This has been one of the biggest issues of the summer for me. We've come out and said he's going nowhere yet he hasn't signed a new deal. These two things do not go hand in hand for me. If we want him to stay and he's happy stay there should've been a deal agreed by now otherwise this is the sort of trouble we run into. Even if we do end holding onto him this window, as much as I rate the guy I won't be happy with just having him staying of he's not putting pen to paper as financially it's a big hit for us to take.

August 21, 2013, 01:55:14 AM
Reply #1928

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
Baines only has a couple of years left on his contract. So IF we did want to sell or Baines wasn't jumping at signing a new deal is would be the window to do it. We aren't going to like the offers that come in otherwise with a year or so left to go.

This has been one of the biggest issues of the summer for me. We've come out and said he's going nowhere yet he hasn't signed a new deal. These two things do not go hand in hand for me. If we want him to stay and he's happy stay there should've been a deal agreed by now otherwise this is the sort of trouble we run into. Even if we do end holding onto him this window, as much as I rate the guy I won't be happy with just having him staying of he's not putting pen to paper as financially it's a big hit for us to take.

Give his age and present value and level of performance, Baines is the one I would sell before Felaini for the good of our club.
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Cenk Tosun, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...

August 21, 2013, 02:01:59 AM
Reply #1929

Ross

As far as I'm aware Baines signed a 5 year deal, two seasons back (?), leaving him with 3 still to go.
Since singing it theres been inquiries from Bayern & Utd (maybe others) but he's not agitated in any way to leave. At the moment there's no reason to expect him to start that now. But offering a contract while there's public bids puts us in a weaker position. If its not signed quickly it looks like he's being difficult and wants away. There's obviously a price where prepared to accept (every player has one) and Utd might meet it eventually but there seemingly way below it at the moment. If we can manage to get through this window with him as our player, then like you say that's the time to start offering a new contract.

There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

August 21, 2013, 02:03:49 AM
Reply #1930

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Give his age and present value and level of performance, Baines is the one I would sell before Felaini for the good of our club.

Well the uncomfortable truth if we want to operate as a true selling club (buy low, develop then sell high to develop the squad as a whole) is we have to recognize when player value is at its peak...and with Baines you'd have to say its unlikely to go up from here. Only the clubs with deep pockets can afford to let star players retire on bumper contracts.

It's not nice for the fans but the club can't really operate any other way at the moment.

August 21, 2013, 02:12:19 AM
Reply #1931

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
As far as I'm aware Baines signed a 5 year deal, two seasons back (?), leaving him with 3 still to go.
Since singing it theres been inquiries from Bayern & Utd (maybe others) but he's not agitated in any way to leave. At the moment there's no reason to expect him to start that now. But offering a contract while there's public bids puts us in a weaker position. If its not signed quickly it looks like he's being difficult and wants away. There's obviously a price where prepared to accept (every player has one) and Utd might meet it eventually but there seemingly way below it at the moment. If we can manage to get through this window with him as our player, then like you say that's the time to start offering a new contract.

http://www.transfermarkt.com/en/leighton-baines/profil/spieler_13507.html

Contract expires end of next season. I agree now is not the time to publicly talk about such things, but the time to take care of it was really before the transfer window started. If he doesn't go anywhere this window what position are we going to be in if he still hasn't signed by January or the end of the season? Maybe Baines is being practical and waiting to see how Martinez does but can we really afford to wait and see hoping Baines will sign? The longer it goes the less control we have over the situation.

August 21, 2013, 02:35:18 AM
Reply #1932

billbones80

My fear all along!

August 21, 2013, 02:35:32 AM
Reply #1933

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
http://www.transfermarkt.com/en/leighton-baines/profil/spieler_13507.html

Contract expires end of next season. I agree now is not the time to publicly talk about such things, but the time to take care of it was really before the transfer window started. If he doesn't go anywhere this window what position are we going to be in if he still hasn't signed by January or the end of the season? Maybe Baines is being practical and waiting to see how Martinez does but can we really afford to wait and see hoping Baines will sign? The longer it goes the less control we have over the situation.

I think that's wrong. His contract expires June 2015.

Edit: which is what you said. Sorry, misread.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 02:36:03 AM by blargins »
“The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” Barack Obama

August 21, 2013, 02:37:07 AM
Reply #1934

billbones80

And one on ITK topic, for what it's worth Lcab is apparently convinced both are gone.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 02:37:27 AM by billbones80 »