November 18, 2017, 08:12:38 PM

Author Topic: Ball playing defenders  (Read 3781 times)

December 29, 2009, 04:32:26 AM
Reply #15

.Rimbo.

Hmmm...tricky one this. I can't agree with some of your comments regarding Neill, MGP. I wouldn't say he's disinterested or uncommitted. He's Australian, tough as ol' boots and is always committed in the tackle. Watch the Spurs game back to see some of his bone-crunchers, I don't know where you can say he's a fag in terms of defending because he's one of the hardest fellas in the game if we're fair!

However, I do think he's lazy as well. Maybe not so much lazy, just care-free at times. Like the Dawson goal when he was watching the player. I don't know if you can call it lazy, but it's just a lack or loss of concentration or whatever, not knowing the ball had entered the box, unless he just meant to mark the man and not follow the ball, which brings me nicely on to my next point. He's as dirty as JT's ma, not a fan of some of his shirt-pulling and stuff like that. He needs to knock it off, but I suppose that's his nature.

However, he's essentially not a centre-back. He is a right back and that's probably the main reason we signed him. So it's slightly unfair, I feel, to judge him so harshly when it's not his true position. All that said, I agree, when Jagielka, Yobo and Distin back, hopefully he'll be in his correct position or on the bench, he's not a stellar centre-back in my opinion, but that's just my two cents.

deCoubertin

December 29, 2009, 05:14:49 AM
Reply #16

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
I though Neill' passing was dreadfull at times today. Have to agree with MGP in the fact that he shouldnt get in the side when Distin, Jags and Yobo are fit. Id take hibbert over him as with our back to the wall you cant be certain Hibbert wont be hiding. Unfortunatly I think Neill would be quite the opposite

December 29, 2009, 05:31:07 AM
Reply #17

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
Out of order that comment Nabel
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...

December 29, 2009, 05:33:28 AM
Reply #18

ForzaItalia

Heitinga is a monster. He looks better and better every week. He looks as comfortable knocking the ball around as he does opposition attackers.

Neill did ok today, doesn't get tight enough, that's probably got something to do with his lack of pace. Don't really want him in our back four to be honest, but needs must at the moment. The sooner Jags and Sylvain get back the better.
il Vesuvio e la terra che amo

December 29, 2009, 09:58:07 AM
Reply #19

Muttley

I think Neill's best position is right back, where his stand off marking isn't so noticible. There really is way too much space in front of goal at the moment. By the look of Howard a few times yesterday, he's noticed it too!

With Jags, Distin and Yobo back I'd like to think he and Heitinga will be competing for that right back position. I'm not sure about Johnny in midfield, but his run at the back may have improved his confidence.

December 29, 2009, 11:07:37 AM
Reply #20

huck

My opinion of Neill has improved slightly atleast now it looks as though he's arsed to be on the pitch. Those first few games with him just enraged me how much he seemed to not want to be there. Got him because he was needed so needs must and all that. I'd rather have him at centerback than Hibbert purely down to size issues.
Le Berry

December 29, 2009, 02:55:30 PM
Reply #21

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I don't think either of them will be playing CB once the other 3 return. Neither of them are big enough to really play there regularly. And you can tell with their positioning some times that they simply aren't natural players there.

However you can't really complain about their application, or at least effort, in playing there.

On the general point about passing the ball out from the back, the crowd doesn't seem to appreciate that when you do this there is a risk that the player receiving the ball in midfield is likely to have his back to the opposition. Therefore there is always the chance that they might lose the ball in a dangerous position.

So I don't think that the crowd moaning when someone comes under a bit of pressure encourages the team to do this all the time. Yet the crowd (probably the same people!!) then moan when there are hoofs down the pitch.

I think there needs to be a re-calibration of the crowd's attitude!

December 29, 2009, 06:06:08 PM
Reply #22

Nabel

sorry for the comment, but im not angry about his level of play, you dont call someone fat and a fagoot, or whatever when he is doing his best to further the team YOU support.  I know jags is better, i know yobo etc are good as well, but you dont need to write that about someone who is doing there best in a position thats not theres.  I dont recall ever seeing neil not trying, he was definatly trying when he captained us to out first world cup in 40 years  in 06, and he is trying now.

December 29, 2009, 06:31:24 PM
Reply #23

gwells

I think Neill has had 2 very good games in particularly his runs from defence and distribution. He also is excellent at covering for Hibbert who really struggles to get back when on one of his runs. Heitinga is solid but lacks pace which he makes up for on most occasions by his reading of the game. MGP you obviously watch different games to me and always find something to complain about. I'm glad the Fellaini knockers have gone quiet.

December 29, 2009, 06:44:04 PM
Reply #24

Midfield General

I think Heitinga and Neill are a good blend actually, and the more of a run that they have in the first team the better they will be. 

Can't believe someone suggested they were "aiming for the alehouse" did not look that way to me at all, yes they did knock it long sometimes but it whenever they did that it certainly wasn't an aimless hoof like Yobo does, it was actually aimed at someone and often found the man too.

December 29, 2009, 10:44:45 PM
Reply #25

.Rimbo.

I think Heitinga and Neill are a good blend actually, and the more of a run that they have in the first team the better they will be. 

Can't believe someone suggested they were "aiming for the alehouse" did not look that way to me at all, yes they did knock it long sometimes but it whenever they did that it certainly wasn't an aimless hoof like Yobo does, it was actually aimed at someone and often found the man too.

Well you see what you want to see, some were definite useless punts. There distribution was okay, but not as good as people are making out.