November 24, 2017, 09:41:07 AM

Author Topic: "Great Leap Forward" Player for 2013/14  (Read 3508 times)

June 08, 2013, 01:27:45 AM
Reply #30

Major Clanger

That's what I'd go with.

I'm just thinking that quite a few people are expecting loads of youngsters to be playing when RM's record suggests that only the ones who clearly stand out will play.

That's no different to how it's been with Moyes.

That being said, I expect quite a few youngsters to be given a chance in pre-season to prove Martinez what they can do, but again, that's no different to what happens any time a new manager comes in.
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

deCoubertin

June 08, 2013, 01:32:32 AM
Reply #31

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
That's what I'd go with.

I'm just thinking that quite a few people are expecting loads of youngsters to be playing when RM's record suggests that only the ones who clearly stand out will play.

That's no different to how it's been with Moyes.
am with you. I cant see where this martinez will play loadsa youngsters comes from. Mcmanaman has only just broke thru and he is 22

Simply simply lovely

June 08, 2013, 02:04:00 AM
Reply #32

MmmBlueRamirez

am with you. I cant see where this martinez will play loadsa youngsters comes from. Mcmanaman has only just broke thru and he is 22

Martinez out!

He doesn't give yoof a chance.
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

June 08, 2013, 02:38:26 AM
Reply #33

Verm

NSNO Subscriber
But from Martínez's point of view.

Does he play more young players than Moyes? Did he play youngsters a lot at Wigan?

I don't think the youth systems at Everton and Wigan can even be compared.
"..whenever i see an everton shirt i think there goes an everton fan. whenever i see a liverpool shirt i think there's someone wearing a liverpool shirt.."

June 08, 2013, 02:44:20 AM
Reply #34

Major Clanger

I don't think the youth systems at Everton and Wigan can even be compared.

But neither are expectations and the level youngsters need to be playing at.

June 08, 2013, 02:54:50 AM
Reply #35

hill135

Duffy has shown nothing that would suggest he was any better than Heitinga

Except the five games at the end of last season, which were his first in the top flight, in which he looked like he had been playing in the Premier League for a good few years, and (I think) he was MOTM in three of them.

I think says a bit about Moyes' reluctance to play young players when you consider that this same player was given precisely 0 minutes this season despite the number of appalling performances Heitinga turned in this season,

June 08, 2013, 02:58:59 AM
Reply #36

MmmBlueRamirez

Except the five games at the end of last season, which were his first in the top flight, in which he looked like he had been playing in the Premier League for a good few years

Agreed, he's got the pace of a 38 year old.

He didn't play because he's not good enough or better than the options we have. It really is that simple. There is no conspiracy theory to be had.
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

June 08, 2013, 03:04:24 AM
Reply #37

hill135

He didn't play because he's not good enough or better than the options we have. It really is that simple. There is no conspiracy theory to be had.

You don't think he was deserving of even a few minutes playing time, even when Johnny H went through a phase of costing us a goal (and in one case three goals) a game? He can't be that terrible, especially given that he showed some promise last season.

He is slow though.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 03:06:41 AM by hill135 »

June 08, 2013, 03:10:21 AM
Reply #38

Major Clanger

Except the five games at the end of last season, which were his first in the top flight, in which he looked like he had been playing in the Premier League for a good few years, and (I think) he was MOTM in three of them.

He didn't look anywhere near being ready. He's unlucky a bit with his position too.

June 08, 2013, 03:12:04 AM
Reply #39

Eddie

NSNO Subscriber

I agree. It's easy to question why someone isn't being played because he's had a good couple of games. You've got to trust the people who see them on a daily basis. It was clear Johnny wasn't favoured by moyes last season for obvious reasons and was only used reluctantly when necessary. Surely that says alot about what Duffy was/wasn't doing in training or reserve games, he clearly wasn't cutting the mustard.

At the end of the day the manager will pick which ever players he thinks will perform better in that game. RM will be no different.
I'll assume you have been drinking... I live in Monterrey Mexico numb nuts

June 08, 2013, 04:30:05 AM
Reply #40

Toddacelli

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

June 08, 2013, 04:34:12 AM
Reply #41

Major Clanger

June 08, 2013, 12:25:40 PM
Reply #42

christiffa25

Yes yes yes....This this this.

Duffy's weakness's were plain to see in those few games. Credit to the lad tho he did step up and play well in those games, and clearly has some strenghts to his game also, but a longer run in our first team at this stage would see him get exposed.

Get the lad out on loan for a year, then go from there.