October 15, 2019, 11:15:29 PM

Author Topic: Baines deal as good as done  (Read 50181 times)

June 08, 2013, 11:42:09 PM
Reply #75

Thom

Administrator
I get the feeling you are saying this more in denial rather than you actually knowing this to be fact!

Absolutely. ;)

We've heard this rumour for the best part of three years now though and it still hasn't occurred. Granted, you can argue it's more likely this time around as Moyes is United's manager, but I still feel like he wouldn't pay what he knows we'd ask for.

June 08, 2013, 11:45:49 PM
Reply #76

toffee_scot

If there is one player I would hate to see leave it is Baines and I wouldn't accept £20m from Man Utd for him. I know every player has his price but considering he is in his prime and is one of the best left backs in the Premier League and perhaps up there with some of the best in Europe, then he should be worth more.

I just wonder about what Moyes' transfer policy will be at Man Utd, the fact that they have Evra, Ferdinand, Giggs, Vidic and Carrick all over 30 could suggest that he may want to bring in younger players around the 21-25 age bracket if he wants to create a team in his image of the future (or at least the next 6 years he is there). Not sure what other LB targets there are for Man Utd if Evra leaves and Baines stays at Everton but we'll see. 

June 08, 2013, 11:59:06 PM
Reply #77

Amata

Think Shaw would be out of our price range, can you see us spending 10+ million on him?

If we sold Baines for 18mill and spent 12 mill on Shaw then we are still up 6mill with the benefit of signing a top prospect and probable future England International who could be worth more than double the price in a few years.  Also we could pretty much guarantee him first team football straight away which he wouldn't get at Chelsea, Man U, Man City etc.
All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind

June 09, 2013, 12:03:08 AM
Reply #78

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
If we spend 10mil on a fucking left back Im gonna send a nailbomb to my own house
Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

June 09, 2013, 12:04:46 AM
Reply #79

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Even if Vic is better, which i dont think he is, Kone would provide good competition for places

June 09, 2013, 12:09:38 AM
Reply #80

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Even if Vic is better, which i dont think he is, Kone would provide good competition for places

Not at left back.

June 09, 2013, 12:10:43 AM
Reply #81

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber

June 09, 2013, 12:12:45 AM
Reply #82

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
If we sold Baines for £18mill and spent £12 mill on Shaw then we are still up £6mill with the benefit of signing a top prospect and probable future England International who could be worth more than double the price in a few years.  Also we could pretty much guarantee him first team football straight away which he wouldn't get at Chelsea, Man U, Man City etc.

I think if we had no issues elsewhere in the squad then making such a signing for left back would make sense.

However we need that sort of investment in the spine of the team. I'm not sure it'd be wise to spend that amount on a promising left back.

Were we to sell Felli too then maybe we could be more specific with Baines' fee.

Otherwise I think one large fee will have to be spread thinly.

June 09, 2013, 12:14:14 AM
Reply #83

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
I would like see if Oviedo is capable enough first rather than spunk money unnecessarily on a left back.

June 09, 2013, 12:20:30 AM
Reply #84

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I would like see if Oviedo is capable enough first rather than spunk money unnecessarily on a left back.

I just think spending £10m+ on full backs is for teams/squads that only require fine tuning.

As much as Shaw looks like he's going to turn into a fine player you'd have to go a long way to convince most people that we wouldn't be better off buying two £5m players for the squad.

June 09, 2013, 12:32:57 AM
Reply #85

riddick

quite literally the ONLY way i would even be not livid about baines leaving(he's my favorite current and second all-time to timmy cahill) would be if that money brought luke shaw in.  The end.  ANYONE else and i will be throwing things in my pram.

June 09, 2013, 12:48:17 AM
Reply #86

howlin wolf

I don't know what's more laughable, the claim that a Baines deal is as good as done, or the fact that so many Evertonians are gullible enough to believe or repeat the rumour.

I'm not saying that Baines will definitely stay. I expect him to, but obviously there's a real possibility that he could end up at Old Trafford by August 31st if Moyes wants him strongly enough.

Would Everton have entered into talks to sell their star player before appointing a new manager ? I don't think so.

After Martinez's appointment, practically the first thing he said was that he's determined to hold on to Baines. Why on earth would he damage his credibility by saying that if he's already sanctioned a sale ? It makes no sense.

June 09, 2013, 12:51:38 AM
Reply #87

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
quite literally the ONLY way i would even be not livid about baines leaving(he's my favorite current and second all-time to timmy cahill) would be if that money brought luke shaw in.  The end.  ANYONE else and i will be throwing things in my pram.

So if we bought a good midfielder and a good striker you wouldn't be happy?

June 09, 2013, 02:16:31 AM
Reply #88

Polledreng

NSNO Subscriber
He ain't no Baines - but capable he is. Would spend the money elsewhere aswell

June 09, 2013, 04:02:00 AM
Reply #89

MmmblueBernard

actually probably the best track record for ITK's.. but can't be assed getting into that battle again.

Prove it. I think you're full of shit. Post us some juicy ITK about Everton or any other club to showcase your credentials.
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama