November 22, 2017, 05:21:17 PM

Author Topic: Alcaraz - would you have him?  (Read 5323 times)

June 12, 2013, 06:15:07 PM
Read 5323 times

62toffee

Antolin Alcaraz to Everton keeps resurfacing among the rumour pages.
On the plus side, he's available, free, experienced and would probably provide good cover at centre half

Thing is, I don't want a low life who spits at other players in an Everton shirt.

Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/15619059
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 06:17:09 PM by 62toffee »

deCoubertin

June 12, 2013, 06:17:15 PM
Reply #1

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Theres a few discussions around about Alcaraz, I will repeat my thoughths from before

Free, small wages, back up defender..... not end of the world if he signs

Bad tit for spitting tho

Simply simply lovely

June 12, 2013, 06:24:49 PM
Reply #2

griff969

Prepared to give him a chance, but if any player ever spat at an opponent whilst wearing an Everton shirt then he needs his contract tearing up dropping off at Melwood
Evertonian ever since Andy King smashed the ball past Ray Clemence

June 12, 2013, 06:46:24 PM
Reply #3

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
He's another body if johnny stays its a bit pointless

Sent from Koom valley

June 12, 2013, 06:52:55 PM
Reply #4

MmmBlueRamirez

He's another body if johnny stays its a bit pointless

Sent from Koom valley

If hes cheaper to run, more reliable and less prone to errors than Heitinga, and Heitinga can be sold for a decent sum then its really a no brainer.
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

June 12, 2013, 06:54:53 PM
Reply #5

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
If hes cheaper to run, more reliable and less prone to errors than Heitinga, and Heitinga can be sold for a decent sum then its really a no brainer.

Yeah if johnny goes its a cheap and cheerful replacement

Sent from Koom valley

June 12, 2013, 07:08:58 PM
Reply #6

ajax_andy

Is he actually any good though?  Can't say I've ever really paid any attention to him or what type of player he is other that a CB

June 12, 2013, 07:13:55 PM
Reply #7

Sir Stealth

NSNO Subscriber
Is he actually any good though?  Can't say I've ever really paid any attention to him or what type of player he is other that a CB

He had a good game in the cup final. If I ever get Wigan on random on pro evo he always starts for me.....I'M IN!
You think Lou Bega knocked it out of the park with Mambo number 1?!No but he kept at it!

June 12, 2013, 07:18:01 PM
Reply #8

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber

I was saying this to my dad the other day.

I've never actually noticed him!

I've taken that as a positive in that he must efficiently and calmly go about his business which is what you want in a CB!

This is opposed to someone like Titus Bramble who you notice all the time.

June 12, 2013, 07:45:07 PM
Reply #9

toffee_scot

Depends on a few factors.

- Will Heitinga stay?
- How highly does Martinez rate Duffy?
- Is Alcaraz the kind of quality we are looking for? Martinez might know how to get the best out of him but the manager may look for someone better if he can.

June 12, 2013, 07:50:45 PM
Reply #10

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Its another body that we need desperately. Even if Heitinga stays we need another CB. Any team with Europe aspirations needs 4 centre backs.

June 12, 2013, 07:54:06 PM
Reply #11

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Depends on a few factors.

- Will Heitinga stay?
- How highly does Martinez rate Duffy?
- Is Alcaraz the kind of quality we are looking for? Martinez might know how to get the best out of him but the manager may look for someone better if he can.

I think the point is more that distin is coming to the end of his career and this is a cheap reliable interim solution.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
"All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."
- Walt Disney

June 12, 2013, 07:55:48 PM
Reply #12

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I think the point is more that distin is coming to the end of his career and this is a cheap reliable interim solution.

This is a good point.

RM may also prefer to play Alcaraz (if he's good on the ball) and have one of Jags/Distin and I presume it'd be Jags since he's captain.

June 12, 2013, 07:57:29 PM
Reply #13

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Its another body that we need desperately. Even if Heitinga stays we need another CB. Any team with Europe aspirations needs 4 centre backs.

This is a good point too.

If Duffy isn't considered good enough we're never far away from having to play Hibbo there on a regular basis.

Of course if Duffy is good enough then it facilitates letting Heitinga go and as Blarg says provides a transition for Distin.

June 12, 2013, 08:10:10 PM
Reply #14

toffee_scot

Distin probably has one good year left at our current level and I absolutely agree we should look to the future of our central defence. I would be content with Alcaraz in the scenario where Heitinga leaves Everton and Martinez considers Duffy not quite ready or not good enough to challenge more regularly for a place alongside Jagielka in defence - we can't go through a season with just 2 experienced centre backs.

Otherwise Martinez could use our scouting network to find someone younger with greater potential who could form a solid defence partnership with Jags or Duffy or whoever in the longer term.