November 23, 2017, 05:25:52 PM

Author Topic: Alcaraz - would you have him?  (Read 5326 times)

June 13, 2013, 02:00:34 AM
Reply #45

whirlwind82

Wasn't the main problem with Wigan their shit defence?? And now people seem OK taking their main CB? Am I missing something? Even if he is free it doesn't make up for the fact he was a big part of an awful defence. So I guess that's a no from me!

deCoubertin

June 13, 2013, 02:02:29 AM
Reply #46

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Wasn't the main problem with Wigan their shit defence?? And now people seem OK taking their main CB? Am I missing something? Even if he is free it doesn't make up for the fact he was a big part of an awful defence. So I guess that's a no from me!

You're missing that he was injured for a large part. Aswell as missing the fact we need as many bodies as possible as our squad is too small.

June 13, 2013, 02:03:18 AM
Reply #47

Shogun

Administrator
And if you threw Gary Caldwell next to Jagielka then we'd probably have a shit defensive record too.
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

June 13, 2013, 02:06:59 AM
Reply #48

whirlwind82

You're missing that he was injured for a large part. Aswell as missing the fact we need as many bodies as possible as our squad is too small.

Im not missing the point he was a big part of a shit defence I know that much. Everyone was banging on that they were worried about Martinez defensive problems but seem happy to take one of the players from that team just cos he is free?  We need the right people not just anyone one who is available on a free.

June 13, 2013, 02:10:14 AM
Reply #49

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Im not missing the point he was a big part of a shit defence I know that much. Everyone was banging on that they were worried about Martinez defensive problems but seem happy to take one of the players from that team just cos he is free?  We need the right people not just anyone one who is available on a free.

He played 8 games last season.

June 13, 2013, 02:14:38 AM
Reply #50

whirlwind82

He played 8 games last season.

So I guess the two seasons before that don't count then??

June 13, 2013, 02:15:15 AM
Reply #51

charlatan

Would quite happily take him on a free for backup.  If this allowed Heitinga to be sold for £4m or so, and saving his hefty wages, giving Martinez an extra £4m to spend where we need to spend it, so be it.

It's not that I don't rate Heitinga, just feel that he will run his contract down and leave for free, and while a decent player, his resources could be put to better use elsewhere

June 13, 2013, 02:16:44 AM
Reply #52

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber

Being part of a shit defence dosent make you a shit defender. Its an experienced squad player on a free, its a good signing. I doubt very much he's gonna be first choice

June 13, 2013, 02:43:38 AM
Reply #53

62toffee

"Thing is, I don't want a low life who spits at other players in an Everton shirt."

Would you rather have someone found guilty of drunk-driving and accused of assaulting a woman?

The emphasis being on "in an Everton shirt"
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 02:59:38 AM by 62toffee »

June 13, 2013, 04:21:06 AM
Reply #54

Outworlder47

Being part of a shit defence dosent make you a shit defender. Its an experienced squad player on a free, its a good signing. I doubt very much he's gonna be first choice

Because people love statistics:
In the 3 years he was with Wigan, Alcaraz played 5892 minutes. Wigan scored 69 and let in 93, or 1.05 GF to 1.42 GA per game.
He wasn't on the field for 4368 minutes, almost entirely through injury or suspension. (There was one game where he was sent off for a second yellow, but the goal scored without him occurred after Rodallega also got sent off, so I'm counting that goal here.) In that time, Wigan scored 60 and let in 103, or 1.24 GF to 2.12 GA.

That certainly makes it seem like Alcaraz was really the key to keeping them afloat, as over a full season, that breaks down as 40:54 with Alcaraz, and 47:81 without him. That's basically the difference between floating in the 13-16 position range, and certain relegation.

June 13, 2013, 04:23:42 AM
Reply #55

Verm

NSNO Subscriber
"Thing is, I don't want a low life who spits at other players in an Everton shirt."

The emphasis being on "in an Everton shirt"

I could change the picture if you like...
"..whenever i see an everton shirt i think there goes an everton fan. whenever i see a liverpool shirt i think there's someone wearing a liverpool shirt.."

June 13, 2013, 04:25:42 AM
Reply #56

Major Clanger

That certainly makes it seem like Alcaraz was really the key to keeping them afloat, as over a full season, that breaks down as 40:54 with Alcaraz, and 47:81 without him. That's basically the difference between floating in the 13-16 position range, and certain relegation.

I'm with you but these stats are worth precisely fuck all. It's not your fault, football just isn't an individual game and defending doubly so.
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

June 13, 2013, 04:28:02 AM
Reply #57

Makis

Their goal difference that season was -20 and the season before -21. This season it was -42.

June 13, 2013, 04:40:23 AM
Reply #58

62toffee

I could change the picture if you like...

... to him driving drunk and punching his mrs - but no spitting in the shirt.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 04:47:03 AM by 62toffee »

June 13, 2013, 04:48:00 AM
Reply #59

Cozzie

Not to mention the shite he has had to work with, Gary Caldwell and Emerson Boyce

A few seasons back he had to work with Titus bramble too.