November 18, 2017, 07:09:32 AM

Author Topic: 125 Years of Everton Away Support  (Read 1816 times)

July 30, 2013, 03:55:34 AM
Read 1816 times

evo1878

Saw this interesting article in Daily Mail today talking about the 1888-89 season...

Towards the end, talks about how Everton always had the best away support, "Generally, though, going to away games was regarded as a joyous occasion, even if the travelling took for ever. It was always by train, but it was slow going. Everton had the best following and would take 2,500-3,000 to places like Accrington.
‘The fans would set off with a house key and enough cash to see them through the day, and that would be it. They were ordinary, working-class people, off for a good bevvy, a look round the town and  to cheer their team on. Not too  dissimilar to today, in fact.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2380420/The-original-King-Kenny-The-story-Kenny-Davenport-birth-Football-League.html#ixzz2aTCVR0xL
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 03:57:59 AM by evo1878 »

deCoubertin

July 30, 2013, 04:01:48 AM
Reply #1

Simon Paul

Administrator
Excellent stuff that

When I was researching our cup final blues book I read reports about away games all about the travelling

The directors would use the same trains as the fans and even before the league began everton would take thousands away for FA cup games

July 30, 2013, 04:07:44 AM
Reply #2

evo1878

lol - confirms away day stories from my great grandparents generation how the lads having gone out for the paper they might come back 2 days later having been to an away match. Bit like our european trips - get there, worry about getting home later

July 30, 2013, 04:12:12 AM
Reply #3

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber

Simply simply lovely

July 30, 2013, 02:22:07 PM
Reply #4

Bingham Boy

Could someone copy and paste the wghole article for me please? My work computer has it blocked.

Away support started as soon as crowds started in the beginning of the 1880s. All games were local then. I think a trip to Bolton area was counted as a long away as you had to go by train.

Football took off here due to the Saturday half day off plus the advancement in rail connections.

It is great that very little has changed about going to an away match. The only major difference would probably be the ticket buying process, and of course the seats.

July 30, 2013, 03:45:31 PM
Reply #5

Alanvideo

Good read that. I read somewhere that in the hard times of the 1930's fans used to walk en masse from Blackburn to Bolton etc. ,maybe 10,000 plus. Nowadays it's so hard to get away tickets I just don't bother trying. TBH I prefer to spend my time and money in Liverpool . :cheers:
We are special ,we are Everton.

July 30, 2013, 04:15:06 PM
Reply #6

Quality Perm

When I was a kid my dad had an old football annual from the 50,s, there was a piece in it about Everton winning promotion from the old 2nd div. back to the 1st, I think it was Oldham away where we actually got promoted,well anyway there was a full page picture of the pitch absolutely covered by celebrating Blues. nothings changed   
Our day will come........................H opefully

July 30, 2013, 06:40:24 PM
Reply #7

tonysoprano

away games in London meant getting the coach at Arden House at midnight on the Friday, so it was in town at 7.30 on the ale till 10.30/11 when the pubs shut, walk up to Arden house via the chippy ,sleep on the coach till you got turfed off in London, normally 6/6.30  head to Smithfield market where there was a pub that opened at 4 am for market workers, few pints and a breakfast then mooch about London till kick off, coach home stopping halfway at a pub till closing time, arrive back in Liverpool 1 or 2 oclock in the morning !

July 30, 2013, 06:43:00 PM
Reply #8

MmmBlueRamirez

away games in London meant getting the coach at Arden House at midnight on the Friday, so it was in town at 7.30 on the ale till 10.30/11 when the pubs shut, walk up to Arden house via the chippy ,sleep on the coach till you got turfed off in London, normally 6/6.30  head to Smithfield market where there was a pub that opened at 4 am for market workers, few pints and a breakfast then mooch about London till kick off, coach home stopping halfway at a pub till closing time, arrive back in Liverpool 1 or 2 oclock in the morning !

Cool story bro.

No, it really is.

Nowadays we just have lids getting blasted on white lightning and blagging lifts home with premiership stars.

How times change.
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

July 31, 2013, 02:56:22 AM
Reply #9

evo1878

When I was a kid my dad had an old football annual from the 50,s, there was a piece in it about Everton winning promotion from the old 2nd div. back to the 1st, I think it was Oldham away where we actually got promoted,well anyway there was a full page picture of the pitch absolutely covered by celebrating Blues. nothings changed   

First away game i took my little brother to was the 1984 semi final versus Southampton at Highbury. After that he thought invading the pitch was what we were supposed to do every time we scored away!

July 31, 2013, 02:38:26 PM
Reply #10

Alanvideo

I liked that bit in The Golden Vision where the Everton fans go down to 'that London ' in the back of a furniture van. Priceless .
We are special ,we are Everton.