November 19, 2017, 10:21:28 PM

Author Topic: "He's the best number 5 that we know..."?  (Read 2048 times)

May 10, 2010, 02:28:21 AM
Read 2048 times

.Rimbo.

John Heitinga today. After a few niggly tackles, slid in to win the ball, got up and pinged a ball all of 40 yards with his weaker foot which Saha was inches away from.

I was saving this until the end of the season. Who do you think is the better player? Lescott or Heitinga?

Lescott can play at left back and centre back, and can score goals.

Heitinga can play centre-half, right back and centre midfield, but for me looks comfortable better in a more central position as opposed to the right.

To be honest, my money is on Heitinga. He has an excellent passing range, can use both feet very well, is excellent in two positions and brings a lot of composure to the table.

deCoubertin

May 10, 2010, 02:31:16 AM
Reply #1

Verm

NSNO Subscriber
I think people read too much into what was a rather fortunate season (goal wise) for Lescott. How many has he scored for City?

Heitinga gets my vote...
"..whenever i see an everton shirt i think there goes an everton fan. whenever i see a liverpool shirt i think there's someone wearing a liverpool shirt.."

May 10, 2010, 02:37:26 AM
Reply #2

Endless, Nameless

I think people read too much into what was a rather fortunate season (goal wise) for Lescott. How many has he scored for City?

Heitinga gets my vote...

Very much this. Lescott had one prolific season, as sometimes CBs do. Just like Vermaelen had at the start of this season. It never lasts. Defensive nouse, comfort on the ball and epic passing do though.

And when you consider what we sold one for... and paid for the other... Heitinga is the man.
Oh well, at least Baines is still ace.

May 10, 2010, 02:58:55 AM
Reply #3

evertonjoe

Heitinga is easily the better footballer and seems more committed and gutsy. Just look at the way he flew into tackles when he was carrying an injury even though there's a world cup coming up

R.A.P Music

May 10, 2010, 03:04:56 AM
Reply #4

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
Heitinga is the complete package, Lescott is very good but I would never swap him for the big H

May 10, 2010, 03:17:14 AM
Reply #5

bloody scally

I think we got the better part of the deal from city, at least for this season anyway.

Heitinga > Lescott > Bilya > Distin

May 10, 2010, 03:33:43 AM
Reply #6

plumber

I was saving this until the end of the season. Who do you think is the better player? Lescott or Heitinga?

Heitinga any time for me. He is an Everton icon already after one season.
Better player than Lescott and his attitude is priceless.
What an incredible bargain Moyes has made.

May 10, 2010, 03:34:58 AM
Reply #7

Endless, Nameless

Heitinga is easily the better footballer and seems more committed and gutsy. Just look at the way he flew into tackles when he was carrying an injury even though there's a world cup coming up

Someone started a thread a few weeks ago asking what the fuss about him was for. This sentence sums it up perfectly.

May 10, 2010, 03:54:26 AM
Reply #8

Flusky

Objectively, Heitinga. Not only can he play more positions than Lescott, he makes every position look like his preferred. Lescott never looked completely comfortable at Left Back.

Also, the amount of team spirit Heitinga oozes makes him an invaluable player.

May 10, 2010, 04:36:47 AM
Reply #9

Danny

Very much this. Lescott had one prolific season, as sometimes CBs do. Just like Vermaelen had at the start of this season. It never lasts. Defensive nouse, comfort on the ball and epic passing do though.

And when you consider what we sold one for... and paid for the other... Heitinga is the man.

In fairness Martin Laursen pretty much guaranteed Villa 10 goals a season for about 3 seasons in a row!

May 10, 2010, 04:51:27 AM
Reply #10

chang

I actually want JH to score more than Hibbo......great addition to our team JH, all that is missing is his first goal,
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 04:53:49 AM by chang »

May 10, 2010, 06:20:01 AM
Reply #11

Connavar

I'm happy with the deal we've got. I think Heitinga could be a brilliant player for us, but has this season been as good for Johnny as the whole of Lescott's career for us? Of course not, no where near. The past 2-3 years, Lescott was invaluable to us. Without him being there we would have been in a world of trouble. He played against his will out of position for almost a whole season and became one of if not the most feared LB in the league. I believe that Heitinga will be cemented as one of our best defenders for a long time in the next couple of years, but at the moment, what he has given back to EFC is not close to Lescott.

May 10, 2010, 06:23:06 AM
Reply #12

Endless, Nameless

I'm happy with the deal we've got. I think Heitinga could be a brilliant player for us, but has this season been as good for Johnny as the whole of Lescott's career for us? Of course not, no where near. The past 2-3 years, Lescott was invaluable to us. Without him being there we would have been in a world of trouble. He played against his will out of position for almost a whole season and became one of if not the most feared LB in the league. I believe that Heitinga will be cemented as one of our best defenders for a long time in the next couple of years, but at the moment, what he has given back to EFC is not close to Lescott.

But can you see Heitinga giving any less than what we've seen for the next 2 seasons?

If he continues to play like he has, I will say he's been better for us than Lescott. Minus financially. I doubt we can sell him for £25 million  :snigger:

May 10, 2010, 06:34:09 AM
Reply #13

123_efc

Heitinga is a better person/footballer than Lescott. Simple as.
I miss Denis Stracqualursi