November 19, 2017, 11:57:16 PM

Author Topic: Moyes pleased for Vaughan  (Read 710 times)

December 29, 2009, 12:21:24 AM
Read 710 times

Amata

David Moyes has praised James Vaughan after the striker emerged from the bench to finally break 10-man Burnley.

The striker came on with nine minutes to go and netted with his first meaningful touch on what had threatened to be another frustrating afternoon for the Blues.

Vaughan, who had a loan spell at Derby County cut short earlier this season after a knee operation, has had a torrid time with injuries since his last goal in a 3-2 win over AZ Alkmaar in December 2007 and his manager was delighted with the way he put himself in the right place at the right time.

Steven Pienaar added a second in the final minute as Everton claimed a much-deserved win and a first in eight Premier League games.

"It was pleasing for him [Vaughan]," said Moyes. "I didn't think we needed to make the change at the time because the players were playing so well. We kept making opportunities but I just felt the last 10 minutes Vaughany could maybe do something different. What he did do different was be in the right spot to score it."

Moyes' men dominated for long spells and were frustrated by a dogged and resolute Burnley side.

The dismissal of Stephen Jordan for a second bookable offence on the hour mark only forced the visitors back further and Moyes said his side need to find ways to break teams down in the final third.

"I'm really pleased we got the three points because they were an important three points," he said. "We probably played better here against Birmingham and we probably played better against Sunderland. I did think we were excellent in the first half especially and created plenty of opportunities but at this moment in time the final pass, the final ball, the finish isn't there.

"Getting a cleansheet was nice too though. We've not had many this year and we've not always looked capable of doing that."

Moyes was also able to welcome back skipper Phil Neville but had to send him on for Tim Cahill after the Australian picked up a minor ankle problem. The Scot also confirmed Louis Saha was rested as a precaution after reporting a tight hamstring following the Boxing Day draw at Sunderland.

"Tim went over on his ankle but we're hopeful it's not too serious," he said. "Louis Saha had a tight hamstring so we didn't include him."
All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind

deCoubertin