November 18, 2017, 07:12:55 AM

Author Topic: John stones/John heitinga  (Read 3875 times)

October 01, 2013, 05:52:12 PM
Read 3875 times

5yeararteta

After seeing john stones preseason was really impressed with him especially against juve, having to play up against the powerful llorente and tevez. Don't get much harder than that.

However if you are defending a a lead against both Chelsea and Newcastle you would naturally think that heitinga would be the first choice to come in with his experience. Under moyes no doubt it would have been the case.

It's the one thing that has impressed me Martinez, his faith to play youngsters such as Barkley and stones. It must give them a great deal of confidence knowing if I'm good enough age means nothing.

deCoubertin

October 01, 2013, 05:56:14 PM
Reply #1

The Good Citizen

I felt for Stones last night, having to come on for the last 5 minutes after conceeding a second. Think we could have done a better job of seeing out those few minutes, kept the ball in the corner when Deulofeu passed the free kick to Lukaku it didn't really work.
I cast a shorter shadow with every passing day

October 01, 2013, 06:41:08 PM
Reply #2

Fynci

What will that do for his confidence? Defending a lead, and the manager gives you the nod over a World Cup finalist. I think the writing is on the wall for Johnny - he's not moaned on twitter, and says the right thing online. I'm sure he's not happy and wants out asap - fair play to him... but seriously impressed with Martinez, and his faith in the kids.
Cool + 380
Tool - 0

October 01, 2013, 07:17:16 PM
Reply #3

Verm

NSNO Subscriber
Played right back didn't he?

Hasn't that been tried and failed with Heitinga before?
"..whenever i see an everton shirt i think there goes an everton fan. whenever i see a liverpool shirt i think there's someone wearing a liverpool shirt.."

October 01, 2013, 07:19:06 PM
Reply #4

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Played right back didn't he?

Hasn't that been tried and failed with Heitinga before?

We went to a back 3 I thought.

October 01, 2013, 07:42:25 PM
Reply #5

Shogun

Administrator
We went to a back 3 I thought.

I think it was more like 9-1-1
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

October 01, 2013, 08:11:12 PM
Reply #6

hill135

I think John Stones will be a very good player for us soon. It would be great if he proved to be a ready-made replacement for Distin for when (if ever) his legs start to go. Stones has that composure and ball playing ability we will need at the back with the new regime.

It seems to me that while he's unlikely to learn anything technical just coming on for 5 at the end to help us withstand a barrage, it's clear that Martinez is trying to get him used to the pressure involved when defending a lead in the prem. I think it represents a massive show of faith in the guy's ability that he would take that risk. Martinez must have high hopes for him. Looking forward to see if he can be the Barkley of our defence soon

October 01, 2013, 08:12:11 PM
Reply #7

Major Clanger

I think it was more like 9-1-1

You mean the terrorist attacks or have we managed to smuggle an extra outfield player on?
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

October 03, 2013, 05:54:27 PM
Reply #8

wilbur

This thread might be more pertinent on Saturday if Gibson isn't fit as it may well be a choice between these two for a starting place with Barry being barred.

I think RM would go with Heitinga.
“It was the best 10 years of my career, in fact they are the only team I ever actually played for. That’s what happens when you play for Everton, you forget the rest, the rest means nothing.” - Duncan Ferguson

October 03, 2013, 05:59:13 PM
Reply #9

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Martinez was also in for Stones when we got him I think.
"All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."
- Walt Disney

October 03, 2013, 06:31:24 PM
Reply #10

Verm

NSNO Subscriber
Martinez was also in for Stones when we got him I think.

Yup, Wigan had a bid accepted aswell but Stones chose us.
"..whenever i see an everton shirt i think there goes an everton fan. whenever i see a liverpool shirt i think there's someone wearing a liverpool shirt.."

October 03, 2013, 09:31:05 PM
Reply #11

.Rimbo.

Swerve Heitinga. I have always liked him but it's time to blood in the youngsters, give them the chance and confidence to play. Some of our young players are outstanding at the moment.

October 03, 2013, 10:58:24 PM
Reply #12

American Evertonian

If we know Heitinga isn't going to stick around next year I see no reason to give him minutes over players who are on a near equal playing field to him that will be here next year.
A ship is safe in the harbor, but that's not what ships are for.

October 04, 2013, 12:57:13 AM
Reply #13

cantoffee

I just hope we can get something for Heitinga in January but he will be able to sign a pre-contract with other clubs at that point. Almost worth it to let him go for very little or nothing and save the money on his high wages.

I suppose if Alcaraz gets fit for a long enough period of time we would be more likely to let Heitinga go.

October 04, 2013, 05:48:34 AM
Reply #14

hill135

I just hope we can get something for Heitinga in January but he will be able to sign a pre-contract with other clubs at that point. Almost worth it to let him go for very little or nothing and save the money on his high wages.

I suppose if Alcaraz gets fit for a long enough period of time we would be more likely to let Heitinga go.

He came out recently and said he had offers this summer but didn't fancy them. Also said he might look to leave in Jan as that will be his last chance to impress before the WC. Hopefully that will increase our chances of getting a fee for him!