November 22, 2017, 03:20:35 AM

Author Topic: Great Start to the Season BUT...  (Read 4921 times)

October 02, 2013, 07:30:32 PM
Reply #30

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Why are the performances dipping so much in the second half though. Is it a mental or physical thing, i personally am not sure, or are other teams playing poor first halfs and better second halfs?

Norwich - Better Second half
Wba - Never got going
Cardiff - Marginally Better Second Half
Chelsea - Solid if nothing else throughout
West Ham - Better Second Half
Newcastle - Better first half

Chuck in the cup

Stevenage - Poor most the game
Fulham - Better first Half

So its hard to pinpoint

Simply simply lovely

deCoubertin

October 02, 2013, 07:50:56 PM
Reply #31

blue slug

Fair assessment there jimmy, if we could be consistent for the whole 90 minutes or at least a majority of it then we could definately be top 6 this season at least

October 02, 2013, 07:53:47 PM
Reply #32

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Fair assessment there jimmy, if we could be consistent for the whole 90 minutes or at least a majority of it then we could definately be top 6 this season at least

We seemed to have been a decent one half side for quite some time. If the consistency comes then, this year in particular, we really could be in with a shot of cl/european qualification

That being said, The PL is a tough league so theres rarely gonna be a game when you are in total control throughout
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 08:17:09 PM by Jimmywhack »

Simply simply lovely

October 02, 2013, 08:37:59 PM
Reply #33

Ross

While this, more often than not, is true, I think our recent games have seen quite sizeable shifts in our performance/control of the game from one half to another.

The last 3 in particular have seen very strong performances in one half and ok to poor (WHam 1st half) performances in the other.

This has provided quite sharp contrasts which have made it easier to identify what we are doing well and what areas require improvement.

It's wasn't so much aimed at you G, it's just a ridiculous phrase. The only statistic that matters is the final score, win or lose its what defines a game.

We seemed to have been a decent one half side for quite some time. If the consistency comes then, this year in particular, we really could be in with a shot of cl/european qualification

That being said, The PL is a tough league so theres rarely gonna be a game when you are in total control throughout

Its funny how some people refuse to accept this Jim
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

October 02, 2013, 08:52:00 PM
Reply #34

hill135

Not many teams are very good for both halves at football though. Look at Spurs against Chelsea the other week. In the first half Spurs were pretty dominant and Chelsea never got going. After the restart Chelsea became dominant and Spurs were under pressure. It's not just a mindless Shearer-esque cliche to say it's a game of two halves - there's a great deal of truth in it.

October 02, 2013, 09:00:00 PM
Reply #35

posterwithoutaclue

st escription ive seen of us after monday night was 'the first half they were like Barca, the second they were like Wigan'
yes im concerned

October 02, 2013, 09:41:54 PM
Reply #36

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Its football, you're gonna concede goals from time to time. I think our defence has been brilliant this season, very rare you see a team carve us open.

October 02, 2013, 09:52:26 PM
Reply #37

Les Trebilcock

I agree with what you guys are saying regarding the first half/second half showings all the teams are producing and I'm wondering if it's got anything to do with the any 3 from 6 (not counting the goalie') possible subs' that can be made.
You can take that to the bank.

October 02, 2013, 10:38:28 PM
Reply #38

blue slug

The goals against us on monday were a quality long range effort which you cant do much about and the second was just sloppy which happens from time to time. 2 of our goals were very well worked and one was pure shite defending. To be honest we werent that bad second half against newcastle and still could of scored a couple more goals with a bit of luck/better decision making with passes

October 03, 2013, 09:41:43 PM
Reply #39

.Rimbo.

Not really.

Our defending isn't any worse than it used to be, which is good enough for the time being, given the improvement in our attacking. I'm happy that Martinez implemented his changes without our defending suffering too much (which was a big worry after his Wigan career). To improve the two together would've been a miracle.

Of course you're always looking for ways to improve and I could probably find a couple of things to tweak in defence (and I'd expect Martinez to find several dozen of them) but so far I haven't seen anything worth worrying about much defensively.

I completely go along with this. We haven't had anything resembling a watertight defence since Lescott was here. The fact we have already improved in an attacking sense is a very encouraging sign.

Hopefully the defence will tighten over time but I think we need a new centre back to be honest. I'm still a big Jagielka fan and Distin is doing a good job at the moment, but we need quality there that is on par with the rest of the team. Someone who can compliment Jagielka well.

However good they are individually, the triumvirate of Jagielka, Distin and Howard seems to be inherently defective. There are too many soft goals we concede deriving from a lack of communication between the three.

October 03, 2013, 09:44:37 PM
Reply #40

.Rimbo.

Why are the performances dipping so much in the second half though. Is it a mental or physical thing, i personally am not sure, or are other teams playing poor first halfs and better second halfs?

The Newcastle game was a freak game. If that Cabaye goal misses the target, Everton probably regain their confidence and it finishes 4-1 or something. That goal encouraged Newcastle, who then went hell-for-leather because they needed to, and Everton became increasingly nervous.

However, we had seemed to weather the storm, nearly scored a few more ourselves and we more dominant in the middle of the park again, but then another soft goal in the heart of the defence.

This is the worry. Hopefully Martinez will be looking for a centre back in January and I think he will, as Heitinga looks pretty much set to leave.