Tim Howard
6 (14.6%)
Leon Osman
3 (7.3%)
Romelu Lukaku
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Voting closed: October 29, 2013, 09:42:07 PM

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Everton  (Read 44298 times)

October 26, 2013, 11:01:35 PM
Reply #390

Verm

NSNO Subscriber
Yet another game won by a Martinez sub.

He's a bit of a footballing genius isnt he?

I remember one of the main criticisms of him when he came from Wigan fans was that he didn't know how to change a game...
"..whenever i see an everton shirt i think there goes an everton fan. whenever i see a liverpool shirt i think there's someone wearing a liverpool shirt.."

October 26, 2013, 11:02:29 PM
Reply #391

Bluedylan

Best thing for me about today, apart from the supersub again, our game management once we went ahead. We did it against Hull last week, and the same again today. They didn't have a sniff after we took the lead, and that is massively encouraging.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

October 26, 2013, 11:02:50 PM
Reply #392

cantoffee

The thing thats amazing about Martinez vs Moyes (other than the subs obviously) is when were ahead with Martinez we just sit on possession and then hit them on the counter, with Moyes we'd just clear the lines as soon as possible.

I like how we keep the ball and draw them out a bit, we stay patient and wait for a good opportunity to speed up the play and create the chance.

Although we were helped by Lambert bringing on Helenius as it opened up more space in midfield for us.

October 26, 2013, 11:03:03 PM
Reply #393

bacon sarnie

Great win, and another 3 points in the bag! Another mediocre performance for long portions but some great incisive play and both Jags and Distin were strong at the back.

Howard MOTM though, kept the game within reach with some of those saves early on, and Osman making the difference playing higher up the pitch.

Only caught the second half but what I saw gives me great confidence in the team and especially the manager. RM knows when and what to do when it needs doing and for that I'm in.

October 26, 2013, 11:04:30 PM
Reply #394

Tinga

October 26, 2013, 11:04:43 PM
Reply #395

howard1334

Osman!

What a supersub ;)

Personally would have made the exact same sub. Barkley has been struggling and Osman is at his best playing off the striker. Honestly I think there is an argument for Osman to be starting in that position over Barkley (particularly given how poor Barkley has been over the last few games). But given that we would not want to shatter Barkley's confidence and the fact that Barkley gives us a bit more drive and impetuous I would continue starting Barkley and bringing Osie on if we need a change of pace. 

October 26, 2013, 11:05:39 PM
Reply #396

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
I enjoyed that game immensely.We weren't great but what I liked is that we never had our heads down and always had the potential to score. Martinez seems to identify problems much quicker than Moyes did or he is at least more proactive about addressing them.

October 26, 2013, 11:06:21 PM
Reply #397

Verm

NSNO Subscriber
2 points off 'title contenders' liverpool
"..whenever i see an everton shirt i think there goes an everton fan. whenever i see a liverpool shirt i think there's someone wearing a liverpool shirt.."

October 26, 2013, 11:07:06 PM
Reply #398

cantoffee

I have to say that I am not convinced Barkley would have made that pass to Lukaku that Osman made.

Could see Barkley taking the ball on himself there. Impossible to know really but you can see that a different type of player changed the game and Osman may even get himself the start next week with Barkley possibly playing the substitute's role.

October 26, 2013, 11:10:57 PM
Reply #399

Ross

I thought they'd won the league a few weeks back when they were top?
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

October 26, 2013, 11:11:36 PM
Reply #400

Danny

I remember one of the main criticisms of him when he came from Wigan fans was that he didn't know how to change a game...

I think Wigan just didn't have any players to change it with to be honest.

October 26, 2013, 11:14:16 PM
Reply #401

cantoffee

I think Wigan just didn't have any players to change it with to be honest.

"Hmmm, who should I bring on to change this game? Albert Crusat or Paul Scharner?"

October 26, 2013, 11:14:26 PM
Reply #402

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Haha, Cantoffe's in a good mood
Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

October 26, 2013, 11:14:59 PM
Reply #403

Evertonian in NC

But...but...Europa is the best Everton could possibly do!  That's all anyone on tv says, so surely it must be true, eh?
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

October 26, 2013, 11:16:07 PM
Reply #404

bacon sarnie

Haha, Cantoffe's in a good mood

Aye, just don't mention the Eagles.