October 18, 2019, 04:18:32 PM

Author Topic: What does McCarthy bring to the team?  (Read 20074 times)

October 27, 2013, 04:25:55 AM
Read 20074 times

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber
I've been watching the lad in all our games and so far I've seen two things he can do:

1. Control the ball and pass it to the closest team mate without any regard as to whether that's a good pass to make.
2. Make absolute shithouse tackles.

Seeing as everyone here seem to be wanking themselves silly over the lad, what exactly do you think he gives us that is worthy of so much praise?
I didn't even remember I had a signature.

October 27, 2013, 04:29:53 AM
Reply #1

MmmblueBernard

Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

October 27, 2013, 04:30:55 AM
Reply #2

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
1. He brings an energy that's been missing in our midfield for years
2. He's a brilliant tackler, don't let one mistimed tackle cloud your judgement on him
3.Everything he does is fast and crisp, he gets the ball and plays a pass to keep the tempo
4. He reads the game brilliantly, always there to break it up and start attacks
5. Always looking for the ball, too often we've had players who hide

He's been impressive, once he gets his confidence up we will see him do more with the ball. Martinez even said at Wigan he can play the safe option a bit too much but he has immense quality.
Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

October 27, 2013, 04:32:59 AM
Reply #3

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber
This is a joke right?

No, I'm deadly serious.

Can he run with the ball? No.
Does he have a passing range? No.
Can he dribble the ball past people? No.
Can he shoot? No.
Surely he can tackle then. Nope, in fact he should've been given a straight red both in this game and the previous one.
Can he dictate the tempo of the game? No.
Can he pick the right pass? No.

So what do you think he can do? Surely it must be something incredibly important which eludes me.

October 27, 2013, 04:35:51 AM
Reply #4

Shogun

Administrator
He compliments Barry well IMO.

October 27, 2013, 04:37:37 AM
Reply #5

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber
1. He brings an energy that's been missing in our midfield for years

Energy as in, he runs around a lot? Naismith does that too and he gets booed for it. He certainly doesn't run with the ball though.

2. He's a brilliant tackler, don't let one mistimed tackle cloud your judgement on him

Two in two. Apart from that, he's not any better a tackler than Heitinga, who also gets a lot of stick.

3.Everything he does is fast and crisp, he gets the ball and plays a pass to keep the tempo

Joe Allen can do that and he rightly gets ridiculed for it. There's no point being sharp and crisp if you don't have the brains to pick the right pass. I've seen him pass the ball into trouble a lot.

4. He reads the game brilliantly, always there to break it up and start attacks

You're confusing him with Barry. Even if he does break the occasional attack up, he definitely doesn't start anything.

5. Always looking for the ball, too often we've had players who hide

That is true, he always shows for the ball. But more often than not only to pass it back to where it came from.

October 27, 2013, 04:39:22 AM
Reply #6

BlueWool

I think what eludes you is that he's young and has played a handful of games for us. For a man of moderation this seems a bit over the top.

He's no world-beater yet, but he has the attributes.

Football forums and exaggerating to make a point go hand in hand, but just because people go wildly over the top about how good a player is there's no need to take it so far the other way.

October 27, 2013, 04:39:44 AM
Reply #7

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber
He compliments Barry well IMO.

Is it like a yin and yang thing then? Barry is a brilliant player and he is the opposite? :)

Don't get me wrong, he isn't awful. But he doesn't exactly do anything. If he was a 20 year old youngster who came through the ranks, I'd say it's promising. But given that he is our second most expensive signing ever, I completely fail to see why he's anything to shout about.

October 27, 2013, 04:42:25 AM
Reply #8

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber
I think what eludes you is that he's young and has played a handful of games for us. For a man of moderation this seems a bit over the top.

No, I'm perfectly aware of that. Yes, he's young and hasn't played a lot for us yet. But why does he deserve such over the top praise? Reading the gushing opinions of some people over here you'd think he actually did something that is worthy of praise.

And I can't see anything. He's tidy and he shows for the ball. That's a good start but hardly something to shout about.

October 27, 2013, 04:42:41 AM
Reply #9

MmmblueBernard

He's the engine. The glue between defence and the attacking players.

I'm far from wanking over him but he is a very good industrious player who as pointed out complements Barry well.

He will get better and better. More adventurous with his passing and direct with his running.
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

October 27, 2013, 04:45:11 AM
Reply #10

BlueWool

No, I'm perfectly aware of that. Yes, he's young and hasn't played a lot for us yet. But why does he deserve such over the top praise? Reading the gushing opinions of some people over here you'd think he actually did something that is worthy of praise.

And I can't see anything. He's tidy and he shows for the ball. That's a good start but hardly something to shout about.

Fair enough. There's the real MC post.

October 27, 2013, 04:48:29 AM
Reply #11

The Analog Kid

We've been crying out for a midfielder that actually gives it a go for the side. He's giving it a go. Don't let a couple of rash challenges let you come to the conclusion that he's of the shitouse variety.  Judge him after a season.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 04:58:01 AM by Analog Kid »

October 27, 2013, 04:49:29 AM
Reply #12

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Mate you've lost the plot on here ever since Moyes left and we got Martinez.

You cant handle the fact that Moyes is getting show up for what he is whilst we continue to flourish under Martinez. You know you have no leverage in slagging off Martinez so you've chose to pick on his record signing. He's been great so far and fits in well with that system more so than anyone in our team.

You clearly haven't watched him in all our games if you cant see what he brings to our team.
Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

October 27, 2013, 04:54:13 AM
Reply #13

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
He's ten times the player Fellaini was in his first season with us.
“The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” Barack Obama

October 27, 2013, 04:55:53 AM
Reply #14

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber
He's the engine. The glue between defence and the attacking players.

This is exactly the sort of abstract statement that made me suspicious that no-one here actually knows what he does well. I know you can't break a player down into a set of attributes but surely if he was doing something really good, you could tell what it is in terms that are a bit more specific than a wine tasting manual.

Take Fellaini, when he joined us, he was hardly setting Goodison alight with his performances but you could tell that his chest control was world class, his ability to control the ball when surrounded and pass it to safety was good and he scored goals.