0 (0%)
Osman (sub)
0 (0%)
Naismith (sub)
0 (0%)
EVERY ONE OF THE BEAUTIFUL BASTARDS
38 (34.9%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Author Topic: Manchester United v Everton  (Read 76735 times)

December 02, 2013, 01:22:34 PM
Read 76735 times

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
People seem to think it's a forgone conclusion that we're going to win, just because they have Moyes and we have Martinez.

I'm not so sure myself.

Haha I did notice that in the prediction thread we've gone from the Liverpool game where there was widespread pessimism to this game where nearly everyone thinks we're going to win.

Much like when Liverpool are below us everyone likes to go on about how incredibly shite these are. And while they might be a lot worse than in past seasons it's seemingly ignored that they're only 2 points behind us.

If this was Spurs (for example) everyone would be planning for a tough game. Not sure how the table would suggest otherwise.

As it happens I think we've got a chance in both of these games (maybe more in the Utd one as it's the first of the two so we'll be that bit fresher).

But City away showed what can also happen if we don't play well. Hopefully we've learned from what went wrong there and guard against it in these games.

I do think we've got the players to hit these teams on the break now though which is essential if you're going to catch them out at home. We've still been a bit too sloppy in our execution of breaks this season by again, you'd imagine that improving with time and experience as well.

December 02, 2013, 07:36:53 PM
Reply #1

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
i don't think we'll win either, but if hull can beat the shite...........

I'm not ruling anything out by the way.

Even just the optimism of "I haven't seen this approach fail yet" is preferable to not being optimistic at all.

I do genuinely think we can win at these places - but it's not going to be easy.

December 02, 2013, 07:37:44 PM
Reply #2

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Looking at the best realistic scenario, it would be better to draw United and beat the Arseholes.  But eating Moyes and drawing or even losing to Arsenal would be immeasurably more satisfying, emotionally.

Classic head v. heart.  Good thing what we want has no bearing on what actually happens.

I really don't care where we get the points from.

December 03, 2013, 02:39:35 AM
Reply #3

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
It's logical to think that this is our best chance for 20 years for all the obvious reasons.

That's fair enough to be optimistic about the match.

As Gasher says though the subsequent meltdown is the worst part of when things don't go right.

3 games ago out midfield did nothing against Crystal Palace - why? Because we're still inconsistent. Nothing to fret over as that's the way it is.

December 03, 2013, 12:54:27 PM
Reply #4

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
He loves Osman, but I think Mirallas and Barkley were rested for this game.

Definitely IMO.

Although he might also have an eye on the Arsenal match I'd guess it more likely that Deulofeu and/or Ossie might come back in for that game.

December 04, 2013, 03:06:53 AM
Reply #5

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I'm amazed we're still in the PL.

Moyes was one of the worst managers we've ever had.

Apparently.

December 04, 2013, 12:40:50 PM
Reply #6

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I've called him a bottler for years to be honest, because he is one

he is along the same lines as Gordon Lee, but without the charisma ;)

won nothing, had some good results, signed some excellent players, but in 20 years will be remembered as the man who managed us before Martinez took over

Or without the ability to spend (or inherit) British record transfer fees.

We were also terrible in the last year(s) of Gordon Lee so less of a platform for Howie to build on...

;)

December 04, 2013, 01:15:13 PM
Reply #7

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
End product was the same though. And that's all most people reading history books will have to go on

If they only read statistical books with no narrative, yes :)

Plus we're still some way off finding out what's happened after his period.

December 04, 2013, 06:24:10 PM
Reply #8

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
We wouldnt have been if it wasnt for a freakishly shite prem season in 2005. That kept us up... not Moyes

Yes we were lucky to survive on 61 points that year, I agree.

;)

December 04, 2013, 06:28:55 PM
Reply #9

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Feeling positive, think we will try to go toe to toe with them, if we lose 4-1 so be it, just think Roberto's positivity will ensure we go for it

Not sure toe to toe is the best approach as they have better forwards, overall.

Controlled possession and looking to hit on the break in good numbers would be my preferred option.