1 (2.9%)
Joel (Sub)
0 (0%)
Barkley (Sub)
3 (8.8%)
Jelavic (Sub)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Author Topic: Everton v Sunderland  (Read 27430 times)

December 23, 2013, 04:31:48 AM
Read 27430 times

Shogun

Administrator

Everton FC v Sunderland AFC
Goodison Park
Thursday 26th December 15:00
Premier League match 18

Everton's last 5 domestic matches 2013/2014:

Everton 4-0 Stoke (Deulofeu, Coleman, Oviedo, Lukaku)
Manchester United 0-1 Everton (Oviedo)
Arsenal 1-1 Everton (Deulofeu)
Everton 4-1 Fulham (Osman, Coleman, Barry, Mirallas)
Swansea 1-2 Everton (Coleman, Barkley)

Sunderland's last 5 domestic matches 2013/2014:

Sunderland 3-4 Chelsea (Altidore, O'Shea, Bardsley)
Sunderland 1-2 Tottenham (Johnson)
West Ham 0-0 Sunderland
Sunderland 2-1 Chelsea AET - League Cup (Borini, Ki)
Sunderland 0-0 Norwich

Everton

Everton extended their unbeaten run to 10 games as they won their 2-1 victory over Swansea secured their 5th win in 6 matches. It is also Everton's 4th away win of the season which equals the number of away wins that Everton had for the entire 2012/13 campaign. Also, Everton have now conceded the least amount of goals in the league following Southampton's 3-2 defeat at Tottenham and Tim Howard only conceding one goal against Swansea. Everton have now scored 20 goals in the second half of games compared to just 9 goals in the opening 45 minutes, only Manchester City (28) have scored more.

Only in the season which saw Everton finish 4th have they earned more points by Christmas day than this season and that is with one more game having been played so that 3 points could be secured by Roberto Martinez with victory over Sunderland in the next match. 1 game lost is a record for Everton at this stage of the season which is a real achievement in Roberto Martinez's first season which sees Everton just 2 points off the top of the table before Chelsea face Arsenal on Monday night.

Possible Line Ups

Sunderland

Sunderland come into this game on the back of a set of goalless draws away to West Ham and at home to Norwich in the Premier League, though they did beat Chelsea in the league cup quarter final in-between those fixtures. Sunderland are rooted to the bottom of the table but still only 4 points from safety as the table currently stands. Gus Poyet has improved Sunderland's results with 9 points from a possible 30 in the premier league compared to the 1 point that Paolo Di Canio gained from the opening 24 points available.

One of Sunderland's many problems this season has been their inability to turn around losing positions. Sunderland haven't picked up a single point this season from the 11 times they've faced adversity in matches. Only Crystal Palace (11) have scored less goals than Sunderland this season (12) and it's a lack of goals which is highlighted by their league top scorer being on just 2 goals this season. Sunderland are the highest scorers in their own net this season with 5 own goals to their name already.

Stats and Injuries/Suspensions

Everton will definitely be without the trio of Darron Gibson, Arouna Kone and Gerard Deulofeu who are all nursing longer term injuries whilst they could also be without Nikica Jelavic who was absent from the Swansea squad with illness as well as Steven Pienaar who was forced off with a hip injury. Leighton Baines could return from injury.

Sunderland will be Keiren Westwood and Carlos Cuellar who are nursing injuries whilst John O'Shea is likely to miss out with a shoulder injury picked up in his last outing. Both of Sunderland's first choice centre-backs will be missing as Wes Brown is suspended after picking up a red card in Sunderland's last match.

Sunderland got their first win against Everton in 12 years in a 1-0 win the last time the two teams met in Paolo Di Canio's first home game last season. This fixture at Goodison Park resulted in a 2-1 win the blues last season as Fellaini and Jelavic got on the score sheet late on to get the three points.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 07:04:29 AM by Shogun »
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

December 23, 2013, 04:56:22 AM
Reply #1

Eddie

NSNO Subscriber
Our last 5 results look fucking beautiful there! Very surprised at some of our christmas PL points totals, makes you wonder what the fuck went wrong in 96/97.
I'll assume you have been drinking... I live in Monterrey Mexico numb nuts

December 23, 2013, 05:00:32 AM
Reply #2

Sozzled

Our last 5 results look fucking beautiful there! Very surprised at some of our christmas PL points totals, makes you wonder what the fuck went wrong in 96/97.

Very similar form to last season. Apart from turning a loss and a draw into wins.

December 23, 2013, 05:04:54 AM
Reply #3

Eddie

NSNO Subscriber
Very similar form to last season. Apart from turning a loss and a draw into wins.

Yeah we started well last season but moyes didn't improve the side despite having money to spend. Hopefully we've learned our lesson and will strengthen in January. That extra boost with a couple of good signings should take us through to May. As the jan when Pienaar and jelavic signed did.

It's crazy to think we're nearly half way through and are two points off top.
I'll assume you have been drinking... I live in Monterrey Mexico numb nuts

December 23, 2013, 05:07:18 AM
Reply #4

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
These are so shite it's painful. Poyet is a divvy

December 23, 2013, 05:17:33 AM
Reply #5

Cozzie

Really should absolutely batter these, but never say never with Everton.

Fancy Lukaku to get back to scoring ways in this, we usually bang sunderland at home aswell.

December 23, 2013, 06:32:33 AM
Reply #6

NomadskiEFC

NSNO Subscriber
Confused how West Ham got 2 draws and 8 Losses from 9 losing positions. ;)

Great write up as always.  We should really enjoy whats happened this season, I only hope the injuries that are starting to pile up dont bite us in the ass, if there was ever a time for a little boost in numbers, its now. Get it sorted Bill and lets aim for the stars!
Once A Blue NEVER a Red

December 23, 2013, 06:36:29 AM
Reply #7

Shogun

Administrator
Every week I seem to make an error on these things lolol

Wes Brown and John O'Shea are both out and they've kept 2 clean sheets in their last 2 matches so it'll be a lot harder for them to park the bus. Hopefully Lukaku can get a couple of goals.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 06:36:53 AM by Shogun »
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

December 23, 2013, 06:37:31 AM
Reply #8

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Don't worry about it shogun la. Fucking superb these threads :)

December 23, 2013, 06:44:04 AM
Reply #9

Thornton_19

Got to be 3 points. Would be a terrible game to drop points in.

December 23, 2013, 06:45:14 AM
Reply #10

sharpattack

If you could pick your ideal fixture at any time it would always be against the bottom team at home when they haven't won in weeks. This has to be a banker, if not, what's the fucking point?
NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
The Board might forget, we don't

December 23, 2013, 07:27:02 AM
Reply #11

NomadskiEFC

NSNO Subscriber
If you could pick your ideal fixture at any time it would always be against the bottom team at home when they haven't won in weeks. This has to be a banker, if not, what's the fucking point?

Plus, its Sunderland at Goodison.  With the exception of Fulham at home, I can't think of another fixture that I go into so optimistically. 
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 07:27:16 AM by NomadskiEFC »
Once A Blue NEVER a Red

December 23, 2013, 08:06:48 AM
Reply #12

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
It's not a case of whether we'll win, but how many we'll win by ;)
"All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."
- Walt Disney

December 23, 2013, 10:07:16 AM
Reply #13

The Analog Kid

December 23, 2013, 12:52:29 PM
Reply #14

indiantoffee1975

Considering Sunderland haven't won away this season and haven't scored an away goal since August, I will be amazed even if they score against us. A comfortable home win