16 (40%)
Osman (Sub)
2 (5%)
Heitinga (Sub)
0 (0%)
Gueye (Sub)
1 (2.5%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author Topic: Stevenage v Everton  (Read 26309 times)

January 22, 2014, 10:51:22 PM
Reply #60

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
We got to a cup final and finished 5th a few years back with a smaller squad.

Also there are too many variables to just forget about one or the other.

It's very tight in the league so it's possible that we could do ok but still finish 7th.

There's no sense in throwing away the cup.

January 22, 2014, 11:00:32 PM
Reply #61

cantoffee

Also there are too many variables to just forget about one or the other.

It's very tight in the league so it's possible that we could do ok but still finish 7th.

There's no sense in throwing away the cup.

Exactly, we could get 70 points (our highest total in the prem was 63 or 65 I think) and still come in 7th and miss out on Europe.

The top 7 teams are so far away from the rest of the league this year that it's much closer than it normally is.

I also never believe that losing games is good for the team, winning helps form no matter the competition. A win against Stevenage and scoring a couple goals would serve us well going in the derby so long as the players aren't too worn out. Liverpool have the play a Cup game as well so we really shouldn't be anymore run-down than them, especially as their injury situation isn't exactly great at the moment either.

January 23, 2014, 12:55:10 AM
Reply #62

krakkokain

Whatever team we play we wont lose, worst case scenario its a draw and a replay, which considering we dont have that many games coming up and quite a few players to come back   wouldnt be that bad a scenario. Plus we can always use some extra cash

January 23, 2014, 03:09:27 AM
Reply #63

indiantoffee1975

Anyone who thinks this is going to be a stroll by 3 or 4 is daft. We scrapped through against them earlier in the season at Goodison and now we play them away - a small tiny ground, intimidating atmosphere. This will be there cup final and they will be up for it. I think this could well go to a replay. Hope not but i'd take a 1-0 any day and no further injuries

January 23, 2014, 04:01:00 PM
Reply #64

The Good Citizen

Exactly, we could get 70 points (our highest total in the prem was 63 or 65 I think) and still come in 7th and miss out on Europe.

Its crazy isn't it! True though. I think a final total of 69/70 points would be where the smart money is. Going on current form, Arsenal, Chelsea and City to break away to around 85-88 points then from Liverpool, Spurs and Everton the stronger finisher will have about 74 points for 4th and then I expect 5,6 and 7th to be around 69/70 points mark.

In the previous 10 years 70 points would have earned us 4th or higher in 7 of the seasons.
I cast a shorter shadow with every passing day

January 23, 2014, 04:07:03 PM
Reply #65

Shogun

Administrator
Pienaar, Deulofeu, Barkley, Alcaraz and Coleman out for this.
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

January 23, 2014, 09:44:14 PM
Reply #66

Outworlder47

Pienaar, Deulofeu, Barkley, Alcaraz and Coleman out for this.

Guessing, here:

Robles
Hibbert Stones Jagielka Oviedo
            Barry McCarthy
    Mirallas Osman Naismith
                Lukaku

A bench of Howard, Heitinga, Distin, Baines, Gueye, McGeady, and Vellios. Pretty barren until we get people healthy and/or a transfer in, but should be enough to take care of Stevenage. Hope for a couple early goals from Lukaku, and get him off for Vellios with half an hour to go. McGeady getting a few more minutes, and maybe McCarthy finally getting on the scoresheet.

January 23, 2014, 09:47:32 PM
Reply #67

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Am hoping mcgeady starts or our mf looks pedestrian

Simply simply lovely

January 23, 2014, 10:15:30 PM
Reply #68

Shogun

Administrator
I think Heitinga will start.

Joel
Hibbert Stones Jagielka Oviedo
McCarthy Heitinga
McGeady Naismith Mirallas
Lukaku
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 10:27:22 PM by Shogun »

January 23, 2014, 10:27:53 PM
Reply #69

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
I think Heitinga will start.

Yes, this is a good idea. That way we can rest McCarthy or Barry.

I'd probably now go:

Howard

Hibbert Stones Jags Oviedo

Heitinga McCarthy

Mirallas Naismith McGeady

Lukaku

Subs: Robels Distin Osman Baines Vellios Traore (if he's signed and fit) Barry
"All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."
- Walt Disney

January 24, 2014, 02:45:03 AM
Reply #70

Redartin

Anyone who thinks this is going to be a stroll by 3 or 4 is daft. We scrapped through against them earlier in the season at Goodison and now we play them away - a small tiny ground, intimidating atmosphere. This will be there cup final and they will be up for it. I think this could well go to a replay. Hope not but i'd take a 1-0 any day and no further injuries

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25866676

Martinez makes them favorites.
He is a Moyes dressed up in Ancelotti clothes.

January 24, 2014, 08:49:41 AM
Reply #71

Shogun

Administrator
Their manager is a right cunt, expect Mirallas to be targeted in particular.

January 24, 2014, 10:05:52 PM
Reply #72

Evertonian in NC

Good news for American viewers - will be televised live on Fox Soccer Plus (which does still exist, despite the almost complete lack of live games in the post-NBC Prem contract world).

Say a prayer that we come out of this no less healthy than we are going in.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

January 25, 2014, 04:09:42 AM
Reply #73

Shogun

Administrator
Andy Gray is commentating on this match as BT Sports have signed him up so it'll be his first piece of commentary on UK television for 3 years.

January 25, 2014, 04:11:19 AM
Reply #74

Eddie

NSNO Subscriber
Andy Gray is commentating on this match as BT Sports have signed him up so it'll be his first piece of commentary on UK television for 3 years.

I've always liked him as a pundit/commentator. Plus he can't be any worse than Owen.
I'll assume you have been drinking... I live in Monterrey Mexico numb nuts