10 (16.4%)
Pienaar (Sub)
11 (18%)
Naismith (Sub)
5 (8.2%)
Hibbert (Sub)
1 (1.6%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Author Topic: Everton v Aston Villa  (Read 26125 times)

January 30, 2014, 08:34:48 PM
Reply #60

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
i would rather Barkley behind Mirallas.
Barkley needs to be driving forward from midfield.
I have to return some videotapes.

January 30, 2014, 08:37:19 PM
Reply #61

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
Naismith and Mirallas play in the striker role to an extent though and spend a lot of time in the box, Barkley rarely does that.

January 30, 2014, 08:39:18 PM
Reply #62

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
i would rather Barkley behind Mirallas.
Barkley needs to be driving forward from midfield.

Isn't that Mirallas' strength too...? Driving into the box from the wing? Barkley does it more centrally so he might be suited to playing higher up with Mirallas playing off him.

January 30, 2014, 08:42:51 PM
Reply #63

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
Isn't that Mirallas' strength too...? Driving into the box from the wing? Barkley does it more centrally so he might be suited to playing higher up with Mirallas playing off him.

Mirallas is always in the box though anyway, Barkley is pretty much always just outside ready to pick something up and drive a shot in, or switch it to the wing.
I have to return some videotapes.

January 30, 2014, 08:47:36 PM
Reply #64

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Out of all 3 of them Naismith is a more natural "box" player.

He also isn't as good as the other two outside the box.

Mirallas and Barkley in their natural positions with Naismith up front keeps us strong in 2 positions - playing the others as a striker means we could be strong in only 1.

January 30, 2014, 08:49:02 PM
Reply #65

Silas

NSNO Subscriber

Mirallas and Barkley in their natural positions with Naismith up front keeps us strong in 2 positions - playing the others as a striker means we could be strong in only 1.

Indeed Naismith has good movement and gets in the right places. That's not of great use on the wing. Without Coleman he will be particularly ineffective as he won't have an overlapping player who he can play the decent ball too.

January 30, 2014, 08:50:18 PM
Reply #66

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Naismith and Mirallas play in the striker role to an extent though and spend a lot of time in the box, Barkley rarely does that.

Kinda. I think they're all attacking midfielders at their core. Yes Naismith could play that position, I just don't think he has the same attributes as Barkley to hold the ball up.

I think you potentially lose something from each of their games playing them higher up. Right now Mirallas looks strong where he is and given his season to date I'm not sure I want to mess with that plus I don't think he'd compete for the ball as much as Barkley would in the centre.

January 30, 2014, 09:01:57 PM
Reply #67

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Ha ha. Perhaps.

I don't think it's much crazier than asking any of our other midfielders (Mirallas/Naismith) to do a similar job though. I see a bit of Rooney's movement and drive in Barkley...maybe that's just me though. Again we're just talking makeshift solution, not where I want to see him every week.

Mirallas and Naismith have both played up top though

January 30, 2014, 09:02:43 PM
Reply #68

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber

I think Osman or Pienaar down the middle would keep us strong in the middle too.

I guess at the core it comes down to a few things:

I think Barkley is talented enough to adapt.
Out of the two Barkley/Naismith I'd rather have Barkley on the pitch (not meant to be a dig at Naismith, I still think he'd be used later as a sub).
Barkley would control and distribute the ball better, even with his back to goal as he comfortable making space for himself.

Naismith is the closest thing we have to a Cahill these days, but he's just missing a little of that same threat and nuisance ability that Cahill had which allowed him to play as the furthest one up the pitch when we had our annual striker crisis.

January 30, 2014, 09:08:21 PM
Reply #69

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Mirallas and Naismith have both played up top though

I'm just going to quote a post from another thread as I think it nicely describes Mirallas' role up top for Olympiakos

Olympiakos used to play with Djebbour as their striker and Mirallas on the left wing (sometimes on the right) During the games Djebbour would move more to the right and Mirallas would then attack the space he left in the center.

On the few occasions he would play as the lone striker, he didn't really lead the line but would mainly drift to the flanks.

He is a lot more effective when coming off the wings and running at defenders. If he was playing as a lone striker he wouldn't have as many opportunities to do so. I'm sure he could do a decent job up top but you would be taking away his best weapon.

Have we completely given up on Traore??

January 30, 2014, 09:12:51 PM
Reply #70

Evertonian in NC

I would like to see Naismith and Mirallas both start on Saturday, so we can mix them in and out of the more central role during the game.  Allows us to adjust for what's working better, and maybe keep Villa a bit off kilter.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

January 30, 2014, 09:27:37 PM
Reply #71

Fellainis Hairdresser

i know we're short, but that look grim.

if this happens, i might pretend the match isn't happening :(

pienaar was nowhere near fit Tuesday and still wont be and barkley wasn't fully fit either, strong options from bench too.
We're Forever Evertonnnnn!!

January 30, 2014, 09:40:44 PM
Reply #72

Big Nev

NSNO Subscriber

Totally agree with that.
Rotterdam \'85
I was there!!!

January 30, 2014, 10:07:30 PM
Reply #73

Heisenberg

Mirralas isnt a prem striker. Theres a reason he's not been played there for us for moyes or martinez. He doesnt have the strength or (any) aerial ability. His best work comes from running with the ball, which he wouldnt be able to do up front. 

January 30, 2014, 10:46:20 PM
Reply #74

MmmBlueRamirez

Mirralas isnt a prem striker. Theres a reason he's not been played there for us for moyes or martinez. He doesnt have the strength or (any) aerial ability. His best work comes from running with the ball, which he wouldnt be able to do up front. 

Can't really argue with the last part of that.

He played very well for us when he was required to play striker against Chelsea (I think).

Not his best position by a long way but effective against teams with a high defensive line.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 11:35:57 PM by MmmBlueMirallas »
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama