November 19, 2017, 02:50:43 PM

Author Topic: Bilyaletdinov - what to do?  (Read 1769 times)

December 29, 2009, 06:59:54 PM
Read 1769 times

Midfield General

Right been reading comments about BIlya's contribution in games, about how he doesn't look like a winger at all which I agree with, but I didn't think he played that poorly at times yesterday at all and in fact he showed some lovely touches and some inventive passing.

How would we feel playing him centrally? For instance where Cahill plays? I don't think he's got the discipline to play further back, but could be very useful played in the hole, he'd see more of the ball and I'm convinced he'd be a far more effective player in that position, and wouldn't drift in and out of games so much imo, maybe when Donovan arrives Moyes might play him out wide and move Bilya into a more central position.

What do you guys think?

deCoubertin

December 29, 2009, 07:18:43 PM
Reply #1

MmmBlueRamirez

I thought he played  a lot better yesterday. He used the ball well and showed encouraging signs of confidence when he tried to beat his man.

He clearly reads the game very well and he can provide that defence splitting pass when needed. also he seemed to be building an understanding with hibbo, who seems to be much better at getting forward recently. Its a long way of the baines/pienaar partneship but there are signs that its starting to click.

I like your idea MG, he would revel in that role in central midfield in the cahill position. As would pienaar osman and hopefully donnovan. Its where Bily has played and excelled for russia recently. 

Unfortunately I think moyes likes him wide right as it alows him to cut inside onto his better foot (see goal against brum and the one he shouldf have had yesterday as proof).

Overall im looking forward to the dilema of picking from 5 fit attacking midfielders for 3 positions.
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

December 29, 2009, 07:48:50 PM
Reply #2

Rhys

Right wing for now in my opinion.

He clearly is tired from a long russian season and not used to premier league speed, it will probably be next season until we see how good he can become for us.

Right now he is where I would hope he would be, showing signs of great vision, skill, intelligence, confidence to play the killer pass and he definately has goals in him. He looks like scoring pretty much every game and looks like creating goals when he gets in good positions.

He is a wide player but not a typical winger like most were expecting. He will have a lot of spells in games where he goes missing this season but he has done and will contribute to the team. And it should not go unnoticed how hard he works, he is always tracking back non stop even when his legs have completely gone.

I think he will be a very good player for us as a wide man.

December 29, 2009, 08:14:10 PM
Reply #3

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I think he should stay on the right until he gets used to the PL.

At present, due to him playing on top of his Russian season, he doesn't have a great deal of sharpness when moving from a standing start.

While he's out wide there is the obvious place for him to move into (inside), and when someone overlaps there is a distraction foe the defender which gives him a bit more time.

He'd lose all of that in the middle. I do think he'd do well in the hole, but I think I'd rather play other people there ahead of him.

Interestingly there are still some morons in the crowd that continue to think that he is Kanchelskis re-incarnated and shout at him in a bemused and angry fashion when he doesn't knock it down the line and sprint after it.

December 29, 2009, 08:17:09 PM
Reply #4

Youngy09

Maybe we could play him with a RB who doesn't cock it up every time Bily puts him in down the right?

December 29, 2009, 08:19:45 PM
Reply #5

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Right or Cahill's position for me.

We know the lad can finish.

He's our second highest scorer this season I think.
"All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."
- Walt Disney

December 29, 2009, 09:53:32 PM
Reply #6

Sharky

You could see from yesterday he was decent enough on the right and for once acctually dribbling past the defenders. The thing that pissed me off with him, was his constant attempts to pass it to hibbert to cross in. Which we all know will end in disaster due to poor crossing abillity of Tony. I would of liked to see a cross from the lad.

Three Lions on a shirt, Jules Rimet still gleaming.

December 29, 2009, 11:21:55 PM
Reply #7

Derek Mountfield

I understand the sense of urgency in regards to Billy - being a 9million pound player - coming good, but wanted to remind those of you who are impatient that the BLSWK and Pienaar (and also Felliani) took quite a time to settle before becoming the players we now know they are. 

I remember the first few months after Pienaar's debut a lot of posters on here referred to him as the new Osman, said he lacked pace, lacked skill and seemed unfit.  And none of us would agree with that appraisal of him now, would we?

Perhaps we should wait a little longer before drawing conclusions as to his best position and whether he has been a good signing or not.

The only evidence that we have so far is that he has an eye for a pass, finishes pretty well, and is the "inside left" player that Moyes said he was on his arrival not an out and out winger.  He definitely needs to gain some fitness and experience in the PL. 

December 29, 2009, 11:38:43 PM
Reply #8

.Rimbo.

I'm a fan of Bilyaletdinov to be honest. As Rhys says, you can tell he has all the skill, vision and awareness to make it at Everton; I don't think that's in doubt. It's mainly just a fitness and a confidence thing with the lad and again, as Rhys says, we'll start to see the best of him next season. He's where he should be for the moment, in terms of contribution in games and goal-scoring records etc.

He looks a tremendous asset and a very dangerous player to be honest. He strikes me as the type of streaky player, that when he gets going, he'll be a terrific player for us. I called him a Beckham/Giggs type winger when he first come and I go along with it. He's not the Ashley Young/Aaron Lennon tricky customer that we thought he may be. He won't take many players on and doesn't have a massive array of tricks, what he can do is create a few yards of space and put a dangerous ball into the box. Couple this with his positional awareness and attacking tendencies, and he's easily one of our most creative players. This will all come to light next year.

As to where to play him, it is a tricky one. Although he was rather anonymous yesterday, he did make some nice contributions to the game which further showcased his abilities. I thought he may end up on the right anyway, where he can cut inside, but I think we need a better right back if we're going to play him there. Maybe someone like Heitinga who is more comfortable on the ball would benefit Bilya', but at the minute it's just needs-must. We don't have them options.

Hibbert would make most wingers look shit because he's not good going forward, at all. Heitinga is a more intelligent player than Hibbo and I think Heitinga/Bilya would be a decent combination down the right. For now, I think we should keep him on the right, but Donavan will give us the option of changing it. He can start with Donavan playing behind the frontman and switch him and the Russian. I think the Russian would excel behind Cahill, but I also think Donavan would. Donavan, like Bilya, Pienaar and Osman, is not a natural wide player in the true sense of the word. It's like square pegs and round holes again.

One last thing. I think we'll see the best of Bilya, and most of our players, when Arteta returns because he will offer the rest of our players more space. Give him time though, is the underlying theme of this thread. On another Everton forum, which will remain nameless, they were getting the lube out after his debut against AEK at Goodison and now refer to him as "Bilyaletdownov". Fickle to say the least.

December 30, 2009, 12:14:16 AM
Reply #9

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
He has the quality, give him time. Done