0 (0%)
McGeady (Sub)
2 (5.3%)
Naismith (Sub)
0 (0%)
Barkley (sub)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: Everton v Cardiff  (Read 22206 times)

March 12, 2014, 10:54:18 PM
Reply #45

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Didnt realise we had 2 games in hand on Spurs!win both of them and we leapfrog them so indeed the season isnt over!

However in the form table we are probably bottom 6 at the mo so we need to sort that out asap.

I cant remember what its like to be satisfied after an Everton performance!

We've had some rough fucking games, to be fair.

Spurs, Chelsea and the shite, all away. We were all a bit naive thinking we could win those games.

Sunderland aside (which was one silly mistake) we've only lost to the big sides. Factor in how good we are at home and I think we can have a good end to the season. People are going slightly over the top with their pessimism here. Yes we haven't played particularly well, but we had some really difficult games, and we're still managing to routinely beat teams at home.

March 12, 2014, 11:02:22 PM
Reply #46

Sir Stealth

NSNO Subscriber
We've had some rough fucking games, to be fair.

Spurs, Chelsea and the shite, all away. We were all a bit naive thinking we could win those games.

Sunderland aside (which was one silly mistake) we've only lost to the big sides. Factor in how good we are at home and I think we can have a good end to the season. People are going slightly over the top with their pessimism here. Yes we haven't played particularly well, but we had some really difficult games, and we're still managing to routinely beat teams at home.

I would expect us to beat Cardiff, Swansea and Palace at home a win or 2 against Arsenal, City and United at home would be a massive morale boost

I do worry about our away form though. Although we have none of the big boys left away from home, they are all teams who will put up a real fight. If we can win 4/6 homes and 3/5 aways and draw the rest I'll be pleased
You think Lou Bega knocked it out of the park with Mambo number 1?!No but he kept at it!

March 13, 2014, 02:27:15 AM
Reply #47

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
I would expect us to beat Cardiff, Swansea and Palace at home a win or 2 against Arsenal, City and United at home would be a massive morale boost

I do worry about our away form though. Although we have none of the big boys left away from home, they are all teams who will put up a real fight. If we can win 4/6 homes and 3/5 aways and draw the rest I'll be pleased

If we do that we would get 25 points, that's champs league right there. Happy, we would be ecstatic
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...

March 13, 2014, 07:09:59 AM
Reply #48

NomadskiEFC

NSNO Subscriber
Currently feel like a kid, down in the dumps, kicking muck with the toes of his shoes in a huff right now, about Everton.

Need a performance as much as a win. Need that lift and feeling of good times again we had earlier this season.

I'm hoping for a decent performance, and a win. Don't care about the score.
Once A Blue NEVER a Red

March 13, 2014, 01:35:51 PM
Reply #49

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
If we do that we would get 25 points, that's champs league right there. Happy, we would be ecstatic

If we get 25 points Arsenal and liverpool only need 14 points out of 30 to finish above us on goal difference.

They've both got an average of 2.1 points per game so far this season. Only getting 1.4 average would be a massive collapse.

March 13, 2014, 04:51:35 PM
Reply #50

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
If we get 25 points Arsenal and liverpool only need 14 points out of 30 to finish above us on goal difference.

They've both got an average of 2.1 points per game so far this season. Only getting 1.4 average would be a massive collapse.

So you the kid who used to go around pissing on people's bonfires.
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...

March 13, 2014, 04:54:43 PM
Reply #51

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
So you the kid who used to go around pissing on people's bonfires.

We'd comfortably finish 5th though nod

March 14, 2014, 01:53:24 AM
Reply #52

montanatoffeefan

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1748614/roberto-martinez-says-tim-howard-back-everton-cardiff?cc=5901

Surprised this needed to be announced. Bit of a 'man doesn't bite dog' story. Or 'manager doesn't bite self in arse again' story.

Martinez: Howard back for Cardiff clash
March 13, 2014

LIVERPOOL -- Tim Howard will be restored to Everton's team this Saturday after missing last weekend's FA Cup exit to Arsenal, Roberto Martinez has confirmed.

Tim Howard has played every Everton league game he's been available for since his 2006 move.

The United States goalkeeper was on the bench for the 4-1 quarterfinal defeat at the Emirates as the Toffees boss stuck with a decision to play backup Joel Robles in cup ties.

That decision also gave the 35-year-old a breather after playing an international friendly against Ukraine in Cyprus three days before that FA Cup defeat.

But Martinez stated that Howard would be restored to the team for Saturday's visit of struggling Cardiff.

"It's not a problem at all," the manager said. "I think Tim has been performing really, really well this season. We'll go back to Tim, the goalkeeper who has been playing in the league."

Howard has been selected for every Everton league game for which he has been available since joining the club from Manchester United in the summer of 2006, initially on loan.

He missed the 2-1 victory over Southampton on Dec. 29 because he was suspended, and sat out two league games last season as a result of a back injury.

Before that, his last league absence was in September 2007, when a finger injury kept him out for two matches and he was replaced by German Stefan Wessels.

Howard also sat out both league games against Manchester United during the 2006-07 campaign -- the first because he was on loan from Old Trafford and could not play against his parent club, the second as part of an informal 'gentlemen's agreement' after the transfer had been made permanent.

Ahead of the game against Cardiff, Martinez will take a late check on the fitness of captain Phil Jagielka, who has been absent with a hamstring problem, and midfielder Steven Pienaar, who limped off during the cup defeat at Arsenal.

"We'll make a really late decision on Phil in terms of the weekend, just to make sure that he's fully fit for the remainder of the season," the manager confirmed.

Martinez, meanwhile, insists that Everton can still qualify for the Champions League desite his side sitting seventh in the Premier League, nine points off a top-four spot with 11 games to play.

Realistically, their best hopes of a European place lie with the Europa League -- and they would have to finish fifth or six to qualify for that.

"Can you get top four? Well, mathematically, you can," Martinez continued. "If you look at the points tally you need to get into those positions, itís still achievable.

"It would depend too on how the other clubs react to the disappointment of not being involved in Europe, while other clubs are still in Europe.

"I think there are many aspects that are going to affect the final points tally needed to be in that top four.

"After that, youíve got the Europa League qualification, which is another important aim to fight for.

"I think it would be very easy for us to say that we donít want to qualify for Europe and let this season cruise through. That's not the case at all.

"Qualifying for Europe, for us, would be a massive step forward because it would bring big football occasions that I do feel we need to be able to develop into the type of team that we want to be.

"So clearly, getting into Europe is a big objective, and something that would allow us to grow as a football club."

Martinez wants his players to focus on that European target, and has warned his international stars that they will be dropped if they start easing off to save themselves for the World Cup.

He said: "I think what you learn in football is that the moment you start to protect yourself, youíre going to lose your place in the team and that's going to have a negative effect on your chances with the national side.

"I think it's quite straightforward. You need to focus on the games that you have in front of you and finish with good form.

"In the league, you still have a good period before the World Cup starts, so as a player, it's just a case of narrowing the aims in front of you.

"Over the next nine weeks, we have 11 games, and that's very easy to focus on.

"The moment that you start thinking a little bit further ahead, football can be really cruel in that respect.

"If you're not fully focused on what you're doing, you can end up with a really negative aspect in your performances, which is the last thing you want before a major tournament."
Everton forever.

March 14, 2014, 01:54:59 AM
Reply #53

Bluedylan

It's not an announcement really. It was just a question he answered in his pre-match presser today. From the tone of his voice when he answered it, he basically seemed to be saying 'are you seriously asking me that?'
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

March 14, 2014, 02:01:05 AM
Reply #54

montanatoffeefan

It's not an announcement really. It was just a question he answered in his pre-match presser today. From the tone of his voice when he answered it, he basically seemed to be saying 'are you seriously asking me that?'

LOL. Cheers for that. It worried me that it may have been an actual dilemma for him.
Everton forever.

March 14, 2014, 02:12:40 AM
Reply #55

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1748614/roberto-martinez-says-tim-howard-back-everton-cardiff?cc=5901

Tim Howard has played every Everton league game he's been available for since his 2006 move.

I seem to recall he didn't play against Man U in a certain league game.

Plus he was injured for some games last season when Mucha deputised.
"All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."
- Walt Disney

March 14, 2014, 02:15:17 AM
Reply #56

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
I seem to recall he didn't play against Man U in a certain league game.

Plus he was injured for some games last season when Mucha deputised.

It says when available

March 14, 2014, 03:04:23 AM
Reply #57

sharpattack

Why is Robles being dropped? He wasnt responsible for the goals. I think he was brilliant. Not many keepers concede 4 and are not to blame for any of them. Ask Major Clanger. He'll confirm
NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
The Board might forget, we don't

March 14, 2014, 03:17:58 AM
Reply #58

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
It says when available

He was available for the Utd game.
"All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."
- Walt Disney

March 14, 2014, 03:18:56 AM
Reply #59

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
He was available for the Utd game.

No he wasnt. Why would we drop Howard when playing against United?